He made the move but then blew me off?

so this guy I've been talking to on and off for a couple months told me that he really wanted to get to know me and take me out sometime. He suggested to watch the sunset and get dinner sometime and I agreed. Then a couple days later he asked again and we made plans for Monday night. Monday came around and he texted me and said that he couldn't go anymore and when I asked why he said it was because he didn't have any money for dinner or has to get to the beach. I thought he was just blowing me off so I didn't text him back. I told my friend what happened and they said that he probably was telling the truth and didn't have any money because he doesn't have a job currently. After about 30 minutes I texted him back and told him that I could just drive and he responded by saying that his friend was already on his way over and that he was sorry. What the heck happened?

What Guys Said 1

• He ran out of money and wanted to treat you to dinner. When he realized he couldn't he canceled and called a friend to hang out with because he felt bad and friends are nice to have. Then you called and offered to drive but it was too late. Is it really that hard to understand?

What Girls Said 2

• I have been thinking about this dating thing and I think the first 3 or 4 dates should be not dinner, or anything that costs money. Because a guy paying just to know someone? I don't think that's right.

Text him to hang out at the beach a different day. Then see if he wants to do it. Then just drop it if he drops you.

• You are thinking to deep, exactly what he said is what he means. Relax, he will make it up to you