Second cousin once removed? Are we related in a cousin fucking kinda way?

Confused just need info. Have the same great-great grandparents with a generation difference.

• Related, unable to have a relationship
  • Unrelated, cool to date
I had to look at a family tree mape to understand what once removed means. It is a difference in generation levels. The person is one of my parents 2nd cousins so it's my second cousin once removed. Similar to a third cousin it think. That's howhy the Internet explained it. ALSO I never knew this person as a cousin. I grew up in a different state that the town my parents where born in. So that's why we didn't know.

Most Helpful Guy

• The prohibitions on incest vary between countries and between states in the US. I can only answer for the US. Approximately half of the states forbid marriage or a sexual relationship between FIRST cousins; the other half of the states make FIRST cousin marriages/relationships legal. In every state of the US, second cousin and more distant relationships are legal. The Biblical prohibitions against incest do not prohibit first cousin marriages/relationships.

In every state of the US, your potential relationship would be legal. Some people will react negatively when they hear the word "cousin," as this is a topic where people respond on the basis of emotion and not intellect.

What Guys Said 7

• It's kinda absurd when you think about it, how people will tell you 'no' because of this minute detail.

Do whatever you think is best.

• Yes, you are related still. In most countries dating between cousins is legal though - even first grade cousins. Second grade has barely to no genetical complications in case of childbirth, but it most likely will still involve societal stigma in a lot of places.

• If your grandparents are siblings, then that's still too close.

If your grandparents are cousins, then it's okay.

I think.

• Go for it

• Yes you're still blood.

• legal in almost anywhere.

• i have no idea what once removed means. I would need a family tree to look at and have someone explain it.
    what i can say is that i believe you are safe to date...
    figure out the following... my mom has a sister (my aunt). my aunt is married to a man (my uncle). My uncle has a sister as well. My uncle's sister has a daughter... so technically from what i was told she is a second cousin something to me...
    anyway everyone (friends, family, neighbours) were cool about the idea of me and my uncle's niece to have a relationship. (we did not). but they were having those.."you two should get together"
    not sure if you are closer to your cousin than i was to this girl...

What Girls Said 3

• A First Cousin is Not Someone One should Keep in their own Family, as far as "Family Affairs" Go with Moe.
    However, No Problem with 'Second Cousin,' Third and Up, Even Elinor Roosevelt Married her Second One, Franklin, Who as we Know was Once President of the USA.
    For now, Keep things to yourself and if you and Joe get to Know One another better, Bring it out at Sunday Dinner so you can announce your Own... Winner.
    Good luck. xx

• If they could, under any circumstances, show up at your family reunion, you're too related to date.

• Obviously.
    _____________