If you're gonna cheat, why not just opt for an open relationship?

To me it makes no sense. If you're going to fuck someone else while seeing someone, why not just settle for an open or polygamous relationship?

Most Helpful Girl

• Cheaters generally apply one set of rules to themselves and another set of rules to others.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think many woman would ever want to do that so the guy doesn't even bother asking.

What Girls Said 20

• I would never want an open relationship.
    If my boyfriend cheated, things are over, no questions asked. If he asks me if I'd be open to an open relationship because he wants to fuck some other girl, it's also over.

Cheating is in no way the same as an open relationship, though. With an open relationship, nothing is being hidden and both partners will be aware of all the sex/other partners. With cheating, it's a major betrayal of trust and respect for your partner/relationship.

• Seems people are way too judgmental about the idea of having sex with more than one person. Guess that's why people rather hide it from their partner since no one wants to own up to their sexuality.

• I'm not being judgmental, though. Nor am I hiding any desire to be with other people from my boyfriend. I simply don't have a desire to be with more than one person at a time...

• The question should be "If you're gonna cheat, why not just break up before you betray your partner and turn into an asshole?".

• A relationship shouldn't have to restrict you to one person all your life.

• I don't see the reason to be in a relationship If you feel a greater attraction to someone else - In that case you're obviously with the wrong person and it's time to break up.

• Honestly I think it's because people know there are few people (men and women alike) who would embrace the idea of an open relationship or a polygamous relationship. So they cheat to satisfy that need in secret because they don't want to lose the benefits of the relationship but they also get to have the benefits of not being faithful.

• ... OR better yet, opt to just be single and free!

• i agree, consensual non-monogamy or an open relationship makes so much more sense than cheating. that way, you aren't stringing someone along or otherwise being deceitful.

i've been in open relationships before, but the one i'm in now is strictly monogamous. cheating is a deal-breaker, both for me and my other half.

• -_- cause cheater's cheat cause their spouse don't want to share-_- that's why.

• Since most people know the chances of finding someone cool with that is kind of low. Plus they won't get as much of a rush with sleeping with other people if the other person doesn't care. When people cheat they get a rush since they are doing something that they shouldn't. Along with the chances of getting caught.

• Sounds like an issue of people needing to learn to control their own god damn emotions.

• On both ends. The cheaters who do it for the emotional rush need to learn how to give themselves healthier and less manipulative means to give them spikes.

The ones who get upset over cheaters need to learn how to stop reacting to it.

• It's the same kind of rush that people who steal, and do dangerous sports get.

That is true but it's hard to think rational when someone you really cared about hurts you.

• I know...):

• Because women don't want that so they miss out on the woman they like so it's easier to cheat

• I don't know. Cheating is stupid. I would rather honesty.

• Because assholes want the security of a relationship but the freedom to explore other sexual options

In other words they are selfish assholes

• That's what an open relationship is. What's wrong with wanting to have a primary Significant Other while consenting to explore other people from time to time?

• Because people don't know what they truly want. They battle between fantasy and reality. People have this great thing for pretending to be a good loyal person when they're really just leading others on.

• Or don't be in a relationship at all.

• Because many times our SO other isn't into open relationships..

• that makes sense that is why people don't do it

• Because cheaters are cowards.

• Because cheaters don't want their SO with other people. They just want their cake and eat it too. An open relationship implies that both parties seek other people. Cheaters don't want that.

• Because maybe the other person wouldn't be interested in an open relationship.

• Because I don't share well with others that's why! What's mine is mine!

• They probably don't want their partner sleeping with other people. Simply because they are selfish jerks.

What Guys Said 3

• Probably because the girl doesn't want an open relationship but the guy still wants her physically at least.

• I agree, or better yet, just break up with the person.

• The presumption here is that cheating is premeditated. It isn't.