How do you deal with new crushes when in a long term relationship?

I have been dating my current girlfriend for almost a year now. We have gotten more comfortable, and it feels to me like things have cooled. I'm not sure if I'm satisfied 100% in this relationship, and I have my doubts about it going to marriage.

Meanwhile, at work, a new girl has started talking to me a lot. It is clear she is interested in me, and I let her know I was currently seeing someone. She backed off the respectable distance, but we still talk.
A growing part of me is entertaining the idea now of breaking things off with my current girlfriend to pursue these new opportunities. At the same time, there is a lot I like about my girlfriend, and a lot that I have come to trust her with, due to us being together for so long.

How do I know what the best course of action is? Is this something that always happens? Bigger question.. will marriage be terrible if this is how I always feel?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• well from what i know i have been with the same guy for seven years now have i had crushes on other people during that time of course i have and i think it's normal it can be hard not to. you start out as friends and this person make you laugh and you have a good time with them and if they are good friend you open up to them and trust them so some fillings may pop up. but at the same time id never give up the life i have made with my SO no because makes me happy in a way no one ever could i could never see my life with out him and my heart would brake in to a million pieces if he ever left. i would never do any thing to hurt him. dose your girlfriend make you fill that way? if not i would not even touch the idea of marriage. trust in one thing but do you love her?

• Marriage is a partnership that involves your best friend. You are too young think about marriage. Especially after what you admitted. My feeling is that you are too young for marriage no matter what girl you're dating. You need to break up with this girl not string her along. When you fall in love you will know it and you will want to be married to be with her forever. However that will change the first fight you have over what color the dishes should be or she will give you a blow job on Thursdays because her lipstick smears. Then you negotiate and talk because you want to stay married. You have to work on a relationship and you have to work on the marriage. You are not ready to get married especially to the girl you're currently dating. Tell her the truth and move on

• woa marriage talk at 25! i say be young and definitely dont rush into things, just because you're comfortable doesn't mean you should get married...

if you can look at a girl and she makes you smile and in you're heaf you know it's her and only her forever, then marry her... otherwise, you're young!

you can always go back to this girl you're dating now in three years and say you realize now that she's the one and it took soul searching to figure it out

• You break up!

• Marriage will be terrible if this is how you feel – you hit the nail on the head. My question is what's going on in your current relationship that is giving you the heebie-jeebies. Why are you wanting to back off? By the way this is not the girl you should marry. I would discuss the relationship with her and if you're not happy you need to break up.

• What are you going to do when things get "cool" or "comfortable" with the crush once you break it off with your current girl? You keep hopping from person to person instead of making your own grass greener will always leave you unhappy, and make you look like an a-hole. It's ok to be attracted to someone, its normal but you don't have to act on it

• You only like the crush because she is giving you attention

• You are the kind of person who should stay away from relationships all together. You clearly can't handle it and being with you would be a complete waste of time and emotion for any girl. Unless she's like you, then you two deserve each other.

What Guys Said 0