Girls, Is being divorced a deal breaker for most women?

I'm 6' 0" tall, 170 pounds, college grad and have had a six figure job for the last five years. I am not exactly Paul Newman as far as looks go, but I'm not likely to be cast as Frankenstein's monster. Nor am I particularly muscular. But I'm not a stick either. I feel I have a pretty good sense of humor. In short: I feel I have a decent setup as far as dating goes.

I have been able to meet and date women here and there... But honestly, the only real "girlfriend" I've had in the last two years left me because her family didn't approve of her dating a divorced man. I've had a couple occasions where, once I drop the bomb that I'm divorced, the tone changes dramatically for the worse.

This is more directed towards the females on here: If a guy you're interested in was once married, is it a deal breaker?

Oh, the question has come up in the past and no, I did not cheat, nor was I abusive or anything of the sort in my past.

5

Most Helpful Girl

• I would be wary of any guy who is close to my age and has already been divorced. It wouldn't be a complete dealbreaker, but it would make me concerned. It might take me longer to trust him and I might need to get to know him better before committing.

What Girls Said 4

• it shouldn't be a deal breaker. To me it.. Makes no sense. "You shouldn't date a divorced man." sounds like "He broke up with his girlfriend a year ago, he's no good. Date someone who's never had a girlfriend." Ridiculous right? Past relationships or marriages shouldn't predict nor determine how your new relationships should go. Who are they to judge you because you're no longer married?

• Being divorced isn't part of someone's personality-- it's a life experience. I'd say it would qualify someone more because they know how relationships DON'T work to some extent. I don't think it would make a difference to me unless they were recently divorced.

• No, it would not matter, unless you have kids…it would also be nice to hear why the marriage ended, without you talking bad about your ex, but try to understand what went wrong, and what you would do different the next time around

• Yes it is a deal breaker. I would never date a divorced man.