How important is it to you to post up on Facebook that you are in a relationship?

Nowadays is all about the social media but, I'm curious to know if you were to get a bf/gf and you made it official. Do you have to put it up on Facebook or could you live your life without putting it up on Facebook? (this only applies to those who have an account on Facebook)

Would you be mad if your bf/gf didn't want to put it up on Facebook simply because she/he doesn't want to/care to? Or would you be ok wit it as long as the status doesn't say single. (In this case you would just not show your relationship status and it would just be hidden)

• Yes, it is extremely important for him/her to put it up on Facebook
  • No, i dont care. As long as the status doesn't say "single"
I've read a lot of great answers to this question.
I believe that everyone has their own reasons why it should or shouldn't be on Facebook and according to these answers it all depends on the situation.
I wish I could pick more than one MHO!!
Im not choosing an MHO answer for the women section because there's too many great answers. But I will comment MHO under the ones that i think are really good.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's a problem to be avidly against showing any evidence of the fact there is someone special in your life. But it's not a necessity to have the status up as long as you make it known. Broadcasting a"single" image in my opinion is bad, unless you have to for work. Most people who do that on social media do it so they can cheat without other women knowing of the girlfriend or to maintain the image so other people are still open to hitting on them.

Just ask yourself honestly. Would you really care if everyone knew you were in a happy, committed relationship with someone you were proud to be with? Would you really be avid about no one knowing if you were proud? Do you really think everyone is going to "be in you business" if you put up a relationship status? That's an over inflated sense of self if that's what you actually believe, but most times it's just an excuse. If you share a lot of your life and what you do on social media, but leave out the fact you have a girlfriend then it's really just an excuse lol.

I don't know anyone that said, "FUCK! They know I have a girlfriend!" Unless they wanted to appear single and possibly cheat.

• "Be in your business"*

The typo would be the one phrase I highlighted lol

What Girls Said 21

• I don't believe that love should have to be hidden. If you are willing to have a FB profile and put yourself online for friends and family then surely it can't make sense that you suddenly want to hide a relationship you are in. If a person doesn't like social media being involved then it makes no sense why they are on that platform in the first place. I think it's important and thankfully my boyfriend feels the same and we happily changed our status. In fact, he was thrilled when I said I'm getting FB again and immediately said now he can finally say who he's in a relationship with. I think it's cute and romantic.

• I feel the same too, but I actually only got on Facebook because of my last relationship. I deleted my account years ago and I figured my girlfriend would like to have some evidence she was with someone, so I made a fb again lol

• MHO!

• I wouldn't really care, it's not as if an Internet full of acquaintances need to know about it. My boyfriend and I both have Facebook accounts and he actually just recently decided to tag me in his Facebook relationship. He hardly uses Facebook so I never really minded before that point.

• not important at all. i dont even care if the status still says single. id rather no one know than the whole world.

• If he's active on social media, I expect him to update our relationship status. If he's not very active, then it doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't say he's single.

• I don't care. If he wants to put it I'm fine with that, I'll tag along. If he doesn't want to I'm fine with that too.

• I really don't care about that kind of stuff. It's more about how he acts with me in public, whether or not he commits to me, if he introduces me to his family, if he takes me with him to see his friends. Facebook relationship status is the last thing I worry about...

• This all kind of depends on what kind of Facebook user he is. If he uses it a lot and posts pictures of all his friends (not a private guy), then I would hope he posts pictures with me in it because I hope I am a big part of his life. I don't necessarily need the title of "In Relationship with ______" to confirm this. I wouldn't like it if it were the other way around: if he posted the title with my name but if I were nowhere to be found in his albums (whereas other people were) and I get no mentions relative to other people.

If he uses fb rarely, then so long as it does not say single, I am fine. I'd probably tease him to change it if he forgot about it.

I would be REALLY worried if he seemed to hide that I was his girlfriend from his friends, though. Like, in person.

• I voted A... it is not extremely important but I would like it on facebook because I know often times when I look at someone's facebook profiles it is one of the things I first look at. I think it just lets people know you're off the market

• I agree. I do the same as well! If it isn't the first thing i look at its the second. Good point!👍

• I don't care.
    I only have an account to talk with friends and family.
    With my boyfriend we agreed to don't change the relationship status since it's not important, we know we are in a relationship and that's the important part.

• I answered "no, I don't care".
    Funny thing is that it's on Facebook that I'm in a relationship but I never made a big deal out of it. If it wasn't there... i wouldn't really care. We both never post a thing anyway.

• The only people that need to know about a relationship are the two people involved. I have no care for posting a relationship status on Facebook, so I would not get mad if my so did not want to make it official.

• Putting that stuff on facebook is just a superficial act so other people see it. I don't see how it matter at all.

• Not important

• I don't care, it's nobody business if you don't want to change it, I really don't put personal information on Facebook, I know FB is not safe, I read articles on it, I don't even signed up on a different site through Facebook & I don't go on FB too much anymore. And I am in a sorta relationship with this guy from online, we want to be together, I think it still a relationship, not sure.

• It's all about social media now and very easy to talk to anyone you want so yes, I want everyone to know my man is MY MAN. ♡skeeter311

• As long as he doesn't go out of his way to hide the relationship I don't really care.

• No, i don't care... it's not that important...

• My boyfriend refuses to do it. I told him twice it bothered me, but I get where he is coming from, because he is also my EX, I was his first girlfriend and when we ended, everyone knew, so he might be hesitant to do it again.

• Of course he's hesitant. He has a good reason!

• Dude, I've known my boyfriend for about 8 and a half years and we've been together for 4 and a half and I think I only changed my facebook relationship status about a month ago? And that was only because I was updating all the information that I hadn't touched for years. We're not even friends on facebook, he has about 11 friends and he thinks it's hilarious not to accept my friends request (which kinda amuses me too :P ) but yeah. Obviously I really don't give a shit about it.

• Lol thats a funny one. MHO!

• I will never again be with a guy who doesn't want to make our relationship official on facebook. I will not even sleep with a guy until everyone knows about us and he has me as his girlfriend official (so everyone can see, including people he are not friends with) on facebook. My ex made all sorts of excuses why it wasn't necessary and even though it bothered me I didn't think too much about it. Turned out the reason he didn't want it on facebook was so he could meet other girls on dating sites and cheat on me without them knowing he was in a relationship.

• That would make sense. But if that didn't happen to you maybe you would think differently about the Facebook status.

• MHO!

What Guys Said 18

• I would personally change it to 'In a relationship', but she is free to display whatever she wants except 'single'.

• If you fancy someone ofc you wanna see if he/she is single to be able to make a move. It it doesn't write anything you have that questionmark in your head... You might start talking to that person and after a few weeks of writing to each other you find out he/she has a bf/gf. Too bad for you, if he/she had just written that they were in a relationship it would be great!

• Couldn't care less.

• I'm not very public about this. My relationship status isn't on Facebook and it'd probably stay that way. What my partner does is up to them.

• wheres the "other" option? haha. i dont personally give a shit

• Lol thats true! I just wanted to make it a yes important or a no i dont care. didn't think about the "other" option.

• I don't really care... not important

• for me not very or at all face book is something id use lighlty to be honest i dont need to post all my stuff on it :)

• I haven't touched my Facebook profile in over a year.

• Face Hole is complete garbage and people should abandon it.

• I don't have a facebook, so I couldn't care less.

• It isn't important at all. Your relationship shouldn't matter to others just to you and your SO

• I don't care at all what it says

• If there's a crazy psycho after me, then I suppose it would be important. Otherwise, it's not important at all. I mean, I'll try to update it when it's become official either way (whether I become newly single or newly in a relationship). But if life is making me busy, then I'll get to it when I can.

• I would hope she would update her profile just the same. But as long as we are clear between the two of us, then it shouldn't matter.

• Don't care, since Im barely on it.

• If I know the truth and it isn't posted, I don't trust them

• I don't really care to broadcast my life on social media so I don't care either way if she does it.

• I only use it under a fake name

• I'll never check.