Can a relationship where both partners have different faiths work out?

The guy that I have been talking to recently told me that he is not religious and that he is not a believer in God or Jesus. On the other hand my faith and views are different. I'm not a very strict Christian but I consider myself Christian. I pray and believe in God and Jesus. I read the Bible sometimes too. I don't go to church every Sunday but I've been thinking about finding a church to go to and getting Baptised. I didn't judge him or anything. I don't believe in judging. I really like him so far and he seems like a decent person. Would it be a happy and possible relationship if we started dating? Or would our faiths effect everything we do and think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I am atheist and my wife is catholic.. I married her, what does that tell you. I made it extremely clear at the outset of the relationship, that i did not care what religion she was, and i would never insult her for believing, but the moment she shoved her beliefs down my throat we would be done, and i would kick her out. We have never had an issue with religion because we laid down boundaries.

I have always respected her wishes, and she mine. So no issues.

• That is good to hear. It's nice to see that people can get along while having differences, I like to hear that =) . But I was wondering some things. If you have children what would you tell them about religion? Would you dislike it if your wife took the kids to church or wanted them to have a Catholic Baptism? And also how do you guys spend religious holidays like Easter and Christmas?

• I see. By the way thanks for having a conversation with me. I appreciate it. This is a interesting topic to me.

• hey that's what I'm here for

Most Helpful Girl

• Depending on your beliefs to his, you're Christian if he views porn he may not understand why your upset about it...

My husband and I are Christian at least he says he is, but I question it on the level because I have the issue of him looking at naked women or viewing shows like Game Of Thrones which is full of nudity/sex. I read an article today portraying how I feel about it he "says" he gets the idea of what I was saying yet he will still insist on watching stuff like this. Either that or he just doesn't care about how I feel when it comes to this I feel its all about him my opinion never matters.. YK? if you ever had this battle.

What Guys Said 19

• Two different religions yes, a christian and an atheist no they can't. One will definitely dominate the other. Either your faith will rub off on him or his dislike of your faith will slowly start affecting your relationship with God. If he is a good guy try getting him interested in church have him meet your church friends. See if you will affect his belief in nothing. If you don't after a while then odds are in a relationship his beliefs will inevitably affect yours. I have two devout catholic cousins who have both made that mistake.

• If you are talking about marriage and kids, there would be decisions to be made, mainly how will the children be raised (religiously speaking), and tithing. Other than that there should be no problems. You can have your faith, attend your church, etc. with no problems. He would even be welcome for the social events.

• I think it can I met a Protestant and Jewish couple once and neither converted to the others religion.

• Well.. I was born a Muslim and I've never considered myself as a religious person I even had times where I totally lost faith in God, Almost all the girls I've had relationships with was either Christians or Atheist but It NEVER affected our relationship because we respect each other's backgrounds and beliefs.

I mean if Muslims can do it, you can right😂?

• but what about sex? did you have sex although being muslim?

• me too, i would have just stayed your friend, and would have joined you to get boyish style clothes for the new you :D,,, i bet you look so cute now , the former girlie cute features elaborated into a man like face and look,,, you dont deserve any hate, just try to get back to god, dont hate your religion, try to have marital sex sometimes soon, you dont have to tell everyone you meet your story , and most important , dont beat up yourself for anything at all, we live once, so smile and laugh and travel , maybe also you will find love,,, those who hate you, have never tried to be kind or to take a walk all alone in a new country, it is when you feel that this life is beautiful and we gotta enjoy a little more... god bless you brother, i totally support you for who you are now.. and you can always come to me if you are feeling so low or anything... and see not every arab muslim is crazy strict and religious, i bet u will meet some more accepting people :))

• @lovedcursed Awwh!! Thank you very much, you're a really kind and good person. God Bless You<3
      Of course I do believe that there's good in everywhere.
      I don't hate my religion, I think I was just angry because I felt hated by my religion you know? But now I'm much better. I decided to focus on my relationship with God..
      I think I just have to say it again! Thank you you really made me smile:)
      Have a good day/night sister

• Sure why not so long as both respect each other's beliefs and let them be :)

• My dads an atheist and my mums a protestant as far as I know those have always been there beliefs and there still happily married.
    Though my dad isn't outspoken about it and my mum rarely goes to church any more if at all and took our side when both Me and my brother where missing all the masses to have more time to study when I went to a mostly catholic six form. Mostly as it let in non Catholics and Muslims to the six form.
    I don't think any of my family my self included really care all that much about our religion we just want to get things done and if someone else's religion stands in the way of getting things done we find that annoying.

• If he respects your views and you respect his, if you just accept what both of you are and if you don't argue about it, then it can work. So, basically, you shouldn't try to covert him to your ways and neither should him.

• If you two were on a deserted Island this wouldn't be an issue. I've found the social pressure from religious peoples friends/ family is what can cause' trouble. I seriously doubt his friends care enough about difference of faith to form an opinion.

I've dated a few girls that were super Christian. Her friends and family just couldn't let it go. Always trying to subtly convert me. Unbelievably obnoxious and irritating.

• A lot of couples manage it. It is one more potential point of contention, and it depends on the degree to which each is committed. One of my brother-in-laws is an atheist, but they got married in a church, by a minister, and he will go on Christmas Eve when the family gets together.

If neither is that much into it, it is less important. I have a friend who is Jewish and his wife is not, but I don't think he has been in a synagogue for years.

• I don't think it's a problem unless you don't accept him as his appereance and soul is. You can date anyone regardless of the rules of some specific countries.
    If you love that person why not? there is two main problems in our life :
    1. We act without thinking.
    2. We keep think without acting.
    "The choise is yours".
    Let the game begin a. k. a Saw

• No it won't work out. I've tried it. Plus when you have kids you don't want it to be confusing for them why daddy doesn't go to church and why he's not baptized. I'm a lot like you. I don't go every Sunday.

• Do you think that there is a chance that he would ever try to come to church with me or try praying with me? I would never force myself on to someone but do you think that by dating me he would be curious and try?

• Exactly. And maybe a friend who can introduce you to other singke guys. Who knows? The possibilituse are endless

• I don't know I don't think he'll give me up to his friends lol but who knows.

• Yup as long as you see yourselves as a united front cut from the same cloth just with different patterns

• It all depends on mutual respect for each other's beliefs. From personal experience there have been several interreligious marriages in my family (hindu-christian and hindu-jewish) and all of them worked out well. Religion should not be a problem unless it is disrespected.

• its very hard to do i think but its possible, if im not wrong

• Your faith would affect my relationship with a Christian, because I think it's a scam and I know it's all crap and nonsense.

• Most likely no

• Love conquers all!

• Its a lot easier being in a relationship with a person of no faith then of a different faith.

• I don't know every relationship is different, if both of you understand each other, it may work out

What Girls Said 6

• My grandparents were together for 50 years of marriage, and every Sunday he'd drive her to church and pick her up, never attending himself. I guess it can absolutely work, as long as you're both free to express your own religious beliefs and not forcing them on eachother :)

• It all comes down to how tolerant and respectful both partners are of each other's religious views.
    I'm an atheist and I could never imagine dating a religious person that spends more of their time sitting in the church/temple/mosque/filler or trying to persuade me that I'll go to hell for not believing in god/buddha/allah/filler.
    It's all about mutual respect if you ask me.

• I think it can, as long as there is mutual respect and understanding that faith is a personal issue

Also, the people should hold simmilar values, despite the faiths...

This is the case for me and my boyfriend

Me (christian), him (muslim), but we understand, respect and love each other a lot.

Having an open mind and heart als helps

• and discussing important issues such as the faith in which you would want to raise children, is paramount. to know where each of you stand.

• yes it can!

• It can work. I've seen it work before. Most people don't care what faith their spouse is so long as it's not being brought up in an argumentative way all the time. The only time it may get difficult is like planning a wedding or when you have kids because then the nonbeliever may not want their kids going to church or something.

• That depends on what you can handle. How would you react if he makes a blatantly disrespectful jab at Christianity? I know what you're going through and more times than not, they always got disrespectful without even being provoked.

• You have dated people who did not believe in God? What kind of things or jabs did they take at Christianity, how did you handle those situations?

• @Asker I think they come from the tragic events that we hear about everyday. All the innocent souls lost in an tragedy so people say that if God is truly good, he wouldn't have allowed it to happen. It's a constant back and forth argument and that's why it may be hard in relationship with two different religions/beliefs