He said yes to going out on a date but hesitated?

So there's this guy at college that I have a crush on. I'm almost certain he likes me, since he's always really happy to talk to me, his friends tease him around me, and even today when I was heading to class, he made the excuse to go early to class (so he could walk with me), and his friends laughed at his excuse. He also gets a little shy around me at times as well, as he noticeably gets nervous about initiating any conversation with me. I mustered up my courage today and asked him out on a date. He hesitated for a few moments and then said yes. I then told him he could say no if he wanted to, but he said: "No no no, it's okay. I like talking with you." and then suggested to go out for lunch together the next day. Why did he hesitate? Is he just shy? Because I'm pretty sure he's interested.

Most Helpful Guy

• When I was your age, my parents bullied me about things like this. If a girl had asked me out on a date, I would have most certainly declined, in fear of my parents finding out and bullying me relentlessly for it, regardless of how very much in love I would have been with the girl. In fact, that has actually happened..

My point is, he could have had a million reasons to hesitate and 99% have nothing to do with how much he likes you, which clearly is a lot.

• I'm so sorry to hear about that. My first boyfriend and I grew apart gradually because his mum kept him under her wings. She never let him have much freedom.

The thing is, I don't think his parents are like that. He talks about his parents being funny and such occasionally, so it doesn't sound like they're bullies.
      Thank you so much for sharing your opinion though. It really is helpful.

What Guys Said 1

• you caught him by surprise

What Girls Said 1

• He probably hesitated because he didn't know how to respond.