If two people " like" each other and are interested in being more than friends, what is the technical difference between going on a date and hanging?

Other than that the fact if one of them asks the other out they are being verbally clear that they like that person. I mean other than lack of cowardice, is there any actual difference between hanging out one on one and going in a date... Are there different expectations per event and in general... Or is the only deference that it takes guts to ask someone out as apparent hanging out?

Would his dlexpwctations change if I asked him out instead of just hang out with him?

• Same thing. What maters is what you do and how you act not what you call it.
  • It is different. He will expect you to behave differently and he will Expect more in General, such as...

Most Helpful Girl

• You agree that it's a date and there is actual effort made to make it an intimate atmosphere and experience.

• So it is different.. can you give m examples of how you make an effort to make it an intimate atmosphere? I mean how anyone would?

• You ask what the other person likes or wants and try to create a nice date plan based on those ideas.

• Ok thanks:)

What Guys Said 7

• I say it's how the two view it. I don't think a date has to be a big night on the town at all. I have had some awesome dates just sitting at home holding hand on the porch swing , laughing and getting to know the other person

• For sure I don't think I even like traditional dates. But if you're sitting on the pitch would you have invited her over to hang out or to be on a date on the porch. I'm trying to understand what the difference in expectation will be on his part based on what I call it assuming we were doing exactly the same thing.

Say we are going to the park. What changes if I call it a date or hanging out?

:)

• Look thank you.. So probably if I'm still just getting to know him to see if I want to get to know him in not quite at the dating stage.

• That is very possible. Like I said thou I'm not sure as to what his idea of dating is v/s being something more

• Its the sane thing, hanging out sounds more casual , and makes people less nervous.

• But he might not u sweat and I " like" him?

• If you guys both want the relationship to move in that direction. One of you needs to try making a move a kiss or something lol.

• Yes but you can kiss without being on a date. Or without calling t a date. We have kissed by the way. I kissed him. :) that's why I'm asking like if I show him I like him I don't have to call it a " date".

• Hmm if you're looking for a commitment, maybe instead of calling it a date. Ask him right out "what do you think of our relationship being more official?" See how that works let him fill in the blanks and if need be alaberate

• elaborate* what you want to him. Glaah I hate my phone sometimes lol

• Flowers, lighting, various forms of latex. There isn't really much of a difference if you do it right; you should be friends with the person you are with, enjoy hanging out with them and such. The only difference is that it isn't platonic anymore and you both should do romantic things for each other.

• What do you consider romantic?

• It's the small things. Guys like to pretend we don't like romance, but we're just more subtle about it. So on a normal hang out, you might go bowling. Instead, maybe you should do something more intimate, like a picnic, or do something that he really likes to do. For instance I really like to cook, so if a girl was like we should cook something together one night, I would think that was romantic. Just definitely do not go to a movie, or something that inolves a lot of other people.

• hmm I like being outside so I'd rather go to a park as appears to bowling or a movie but I'm not sure what makes it " romantic" I just like outdoors and I prefer to be able to move around instead of being confined. What makes it romantic for you?

Thanks btw:)

• The only difference is the declaration of intention. But that doesn't mean they aren't there or that they are there, or that they would necessarily be the same after spending a couple hours together regardless of what the intentions were at the start and if they were declared. But girls have take additional connotations from 'date', so it needs to be used for specific applications, making things a little more complicated for guys.

Hanging out is far less pressure and can go any direction, which is why I prefer it. Literally the only reason for me saying date is to aggressively force things down a specific direction. Date is way less likely to actually get that that one on one time and it's going to be wrought with expectation. Basically, 'date' could be called the path of most resistance, or forcing one's way down the path of most resistance.

• I think the main thing is that the girls must make it clear, the guy might like her, but if only friends then it's the girls who have to push the relationship. And I mean to tell him directly that you want to be more than friends. Hanging out alone as friends means hanging out alone as a friend. Hanging out as bf/gf, I assume would be a little more fun and less time looking at phones, being bored, or just sitting around.

• It's same. Difference is acknowledgement.
    For example, my best friend I've loved for years and I used to hang out a lot. People who know us know that anything isn't official and it's one sided. They used term 'hang out'. Whereas people who didn't know us or weren't so close to us used term 'date' for us. It can be confusing for others. It was just 'hanging out' because I hadn't shown my interest in her. People thought 'date' because they thought we both had mutual interest.

Date is when other person knows that you like him/her or for 3rd party they think that two person like each other or have shown interest in each other.

• So if he knew I liked him I wouldn't have to call it a date and it's still a date? Likewise if I dont say I like him i have to call it a date just so he'd know I'd like him?

• Yeah, I understand. I dislike the word & maybe kinda hate it.

• Me too lol so freaking annoying, feel annoying just saying it.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't see the difference!

• friend hangout. people who are interested in each other go out. if it's not referred to as a date, then you're just hanging out.

• *friends. I don't know why my s' seem to disappear every time I type on my phone. ugh!

• If both people are interested and it is known then it isn't considered as hanging out but more like a date.

• A date implies physical affection emotional attachment potential hugging kissing etc. "Hanging" implies none of the sexual entanglements. Most people use excuse of hanging as a way to get into what they really want which is dating. Without a doubt don't listen to anybody but me – a guy thinks of dating as a way to have sexual involvement. If you don't want that then you let them know straight out you going to hang together. And I have done the vice a versa. I have let a guy know that I'm going on a date with him. And he immediately popped back know this is just hanging. In the words of Mick Jagger, "you can't always get what you want. But if you try some time you may find, you get what you need."