Would you give a girl with depression a chance?

I just met a guy recently and I like him a lot. When he confess, I told him I have depression and told him to think about it despite him saying its okay and he want to be with me. I suffer from severe clinical depression. I have been trying to get help for 3 years now. I'm generally optimistic kind of girl and do want to get treated but I'm just depress and I don't know why. However I like him a lot but I never dated before. Help?

Most Helpful Guy

• It all depends on what the depression is about... if the depression is from past relationship experiences with guys, then I think she needs to work on that one her own.

Me telling her, I am not like the other men she has been with, is not going to get very far, if I am already lumped in with the rest of the guys that have treated her badly in the past.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think many guys would be willing to give you a chance but the depression will lead to many relationship issues. I believe that you attract and tolerate being treated in the way you see yourself. If you don't believe you deserve the absolute best things in life, you'll attract men who treat you as though you don't deserve them.
    In my opinion I would strongly suggest that you date casually and work really hard on not relying on a guy to emotionally support you. You need to heal and support yourself first. You need to be able to love yourself before anyone else can give you the love you deserve. See all the best things in life, focus on the positive (I know it's difficult but you'll start to think more positively the more you do it, do not allow any negative thoughts to stay in your mind. Simply let it go). All of that positivity and happiness shines through and men are attracted by this. You'll have no shortage of dates when you love yourself first and foremost.

What Guys Said 25

• So many girls are on lexapro, antidepressants etc. As long as they have their shit together it's fine

• Well I think so, yes. So long as she was actually willing to let me be there for her, support her and help her.

• sure. i have and i would if i were still single

• Yup. Definitely would if she was the right girl. Maybe even be able to help her through it

• As a friend? Sure. As a romantic partner? No.

• Yes, if she is a nice girl i'd certainly give her a chance.
    I think i have what it takes to help her as her boyfriend. Love is a great way to ease a depression.

• Yes because depression is a medical condition and there are ways to treat it. Also, feel free to message me anytime if you need or want someone to talk to

• yeah, i would. i also have the feeling that not many girls would give a guy with depression a chance, is that true?

• yes... we all have difficult moments in our life

• If she worth it then yes

• Yes. I also would want to help her through and overcome it. Even if we're not in a relationship, I would still be her friend and be there for her.

• Depends. If it's severe enough to affect the relationship then I'm not taking my chances.

• Yeah I'd have no problem with it, the last girl i dated had depression

• I already am. But I am also depressed though.

• Nope. Been there, done that.

• I think I'm developing depression and yes I would give a girl with depression a chance

• I have depression, so I sure hope people would give depressed people a chance. I would.

• Yes can we be together down

• Yes, I would.

• Yes absolutely

• No I wouldn't.

• Yes I too suffer from depression.

• Sure i would

• Absolutely.

• ye if she was really sexy ;)

What Girls Said 6

• I'd date a guy with depression as long as he is actively trying to get better. There are two kinds of depressed people: the ones who sit there and whine and cry and use it as an excuse to get out of everything, and the ones who go to therapy and take medications and at least try to get their shit together.

• Depends on how severe her depression was.
    I have problems, too, that might be triggered by being with someone who's in bed crying and contemplating suicide 24/7 so I definitely couldn't do that..

• I'm not a very emotional person so I don't know how I'd be able to deal with someone who constantly would need attention, uplifting, and support. I like giving it when it's called for, but I couldn't do it 24/7.

• All of us go through cycles. It's ok to be depressed. It's about finding the right people to surround yourself with

• I would know what you are going through

• If girls can give guys with depression chances I don't see anything wrong with that :) We can't really 'cure' them of it, but we can just support them and just be there for them.