What's wrong with making a guy wait half a year while in a relationship to have sex?

I had a friend some years ago who asked me to be his girlfriend. We only went in for 3 months and I only met one of his friends. He met my mom but I never met his parents.

We never had sex so when he dumped me it I only felt upset because I wanted an explanation but if I actually had sex with him I would feel pumped and dump

He is now in a long term serious relationship

I believe I made the smart decision to not have sex with him, so what wrong with making a guy wait for sex for 6 months that you are in a relationship with to make sure he is for real?

*out
I have never made a guy wait 6 months for sex I was just asking based on my previous experience. I have only been in two relationships that lasted less than 6 months so we never had sex. Also I do not lead guys on so if a guy is waiting for sex in a relationship it's because he chose to

Most Helpful Guy

• Nothing wrong with that... the guy should appreciate that you are taking your time to really be sure and get to know him! Besides sex is not the number one/only part of a relationship!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's up to you really whatever you want to do, sure there's going to be those twats who would leave if you didn't have sex right away, and some who even if you gave it early would still be with you. it shouldn't be necessarily about the sex, it should be the person that you are and that depends on finding a good person suited for you.

What Guys Said 13

• I think you could know someone well enough in a month or two. Six months is a long time to wait for me, but if I also see the relationship is worth waiting for, then no problem. See, this is the other thing you have to remember, maybe you aren't what he was looking for, sex or no sex.

• I already know that it happened long time ago

• If that's what you're looking for in a relationship, and you've expressed yourself clearly with any kind who is on the potential verge of becoming your boyfriend. Then it is absolutely acceptable, and understanding. However, if I was starting to date a girl and she said no to sex for 6 months without any type of warning and it was perceived that I would like to go down that path at a much earlier state in the relationship and she didn't voice herself. Then there would be some problems. 1-2 months of waiting is fine. Anymore than that for when I was single. Definitely put a damper in the relationship, and it wasn't for me. Nothing wrong with your decision, but a lot of guys's have different desires on a time frame to which they want to have sex and that's fair. You just need to find a guy who also wants to wait as well.

• Well I generally assume most girls have had sex with guys by the third date or sooner so if she wants me to wait over 6 months I feel like a sucker and like she's not as attracted to me as she was with her previous partners.

It's your right to want to wait, but its the guys right to leave and find someone else.

• It's kind of wrong to assume all girls have sex on the third date. I definitely don't do that

• Nah I don't do that I need to be in am exclusive relationship not dating for sex. Also I have never made a guy wait 6 months for sex I was just asking based on my previous experience. I have only been in two relationships that lasted less than 6 months so we never had sex. Also I do not lead guys on so if a guy is waiting for sex in a relationship it's because he chose to

• But there is no way to differentiate between the girls who are genuinely hard to get and the ones who only pretend to be.

• Nothing as long as you don't make him think it will happen sooner (because that would be manipulative). As long as your upfront about things then no, their is nothing wrong with it.

• There is nothing wrong with it intact a lot of people want to wait these days. You chose to wait and he did not so he broke up with you because of it. There was nothing wrong with it he just never wanted to wait for you.

• Lol he wanted to wait for sex too, he did not break up with Me because of that

• so then he did not break up with you because of it. That might have just been the reason he used.

• I don't know why he broke up with me. He never told me so I can not be sure but that was a long time ago

• You made a terrible mistake. It's selfish and childish to wait more than a month
    in a relationship. I promise you he felt like he was doing all the giving and very
    little of the taking. I'd have left you much sooner than he did.

• Hmm he wanted to wait for sex too so lol you look dumb for saying that

• I just meant there was no need for mame calling and such.. But i guess he did the same right after..

• I do not take back anything I said either. You really are immature and need to grow up

• Nothing wrong , but there's also nothing wrong in banging other chicks while in relationship if u have relationship like that and that is why I don't do em lol

• the fact that when you do this you basically tell the guy ' you have nothing to say in our sex life, we only have sex when i want to' i think it is totally being inconsiderate of his emotions if you do this.

its like you are keeping him on leach.

• Nothing wrong with waiting, but don't tease him and lead him on about it, if that's the case then that's a different story.

• there's nothing wrong. the guy must be very horny lol

• He wasn't

• I don't know

• aahh, just forget him, he's in the past now, and always remember what is meant to be it will be, what is not meant to be it will never be. so just move on and find someone else

• "Pumped and dumped". I like that! :) I can't imagine waiting more than a few weeks. I don't think Catholic Priests wait that long. :)

• Cuz that's just too damned long.

• Other than him moving on to a girl that trusts him, and actually wants to have sex with him, instead of seeing all sex as a man in some way taking advantage of a woman? If you want to wait for sex, that is fine, but your reasoning is screwed up. It sounds like you have some serious issues with men.

You don't wait "6 months" you wait until you are ready. Setting an exact time limit on each guy you are with sounds more like a mind game that you are just forcing him to play along with to test him, which is very insulting. It shows that you really don't have any faith in him, or great desire to be with him.

• I don't have issues with men at all. I never put men on a 6 month time frame. My ex had no problem waiting, in fact he suggested waiting not me.

• I don't lead men on

• It is good you don't lead men on, it didn't sound like you did. Your question however was literally "What's wrong with making a guy wait half a year while in a relationship to have sex?" It is totally fine for a woman to wait until she is ready, but your wording makes it sound, less than romantic to say the least.

What Girls Said 6

• There's nothing WRONG with it, if that's your choice and your decision, but I personally don't think it's a good judge of how serious or how good of a guy he is. I've had sex with guys within the first 3 days of seeing them, and many of them have turned into long term relationships. Guys will like sex whether they're looking for a serious relationship or not and I don't think the amount of time he waits should be directly tied to a judgement of his character.

• I don't jump into relationships. That was my second relationship so I feel I dodged a bullet by not having sex with my exes. They lasted less than 4 months anyways.

I don't think sex ties with their character but at the same time I'm not going to pretend I did not learn from my previous relationships

• Just because I did not have sex with them does not mean that I learned nothing about them

• No I know that.. I'm genuinely asking what you learned and how it ties into this situation.

• It's not realistic to most heterosexual adult males to wait half a year to engage in sex with someone they are deeply attracted to.

• The man I like currently is willing to wait for me because I told him I don't engage in sexual activities and I am waiting till after marriage. It doesn't seem to bother him because he thinks I'm worth the wait and he's interested in more than just my body. I understand he's sexually actractted to me and I am to him, but I am old fashioned and people can call me whatever they want (selfish, prude, bitch) but I don't care I will save my virginity for the right man if he has a problem fine by me he won't be missed lmao.

• There should be no absolute number of months weeks or days. By you putting up a magic number that meant that you didn't have feelings for him that equated with having sex. You didn't feel the emotional attachment. Well if you didn't that's fine but that doesn't mean that the six months you automatically will feel that emotional attachment. Basically you're stringing the guy along

• I'm not in a relationship currently so I'm not worried about that

• I have never put a man on a 6th month time frame and also I don’t lead guys on, so if a guy is willing to wait for sex it's because he wants to with me

• I was answering the question initially proposed

• There isn't anything wrong with that, other then the fact most guys won't wait that long. But at the end of the day if it makes you feel more comfortable i say do it and if the guy can't respect it then he's not worth it.

• Absolutely nothing wrong with it!