Should I give my boyfriend another chance, because he is my best friend?

I found out like a week ago that my boyfriend cheated on me. He is my best friend since I was 7 years old. We're super close, but it hurt me too bad that he cheated on me.

If it was another guy, I would dump his ass by now
He's too sorry for cheating on me. I will give him another chance.

Most Helpful Guy

• Considering your history if you think he's worth it. Then yes give him another chance. I completely agree. If he was a different guy. I would not give him another chance in my opinion, I'm once bitten twice shy.

What Guys Said 14

• i think the fact that he is your best friend would be greater cause not to give him another chance

i think you can give him a chance to explain himself and then ask him why he think he deserves another chance

in my experience the biggest hurdle in reconciling with a cheater is getting past the betrayal and the broken trust. do you really think you can trust him again? might you be better served just trying to keep him as a friend rather than put the friendship at risk with a romantic relationship?

• so he's back and says he won't do that again. on the following condition, you both go to counseling together and talk about your elationship, why he did that, etc..

he's just going to hurt you again if there aren't boundaries put up and changes put in place. need to understand why he did that and what he is doing to not do it again, if there are real issues between you and him that need work, etc...

• You say you are super close, but that wasn't the case when he was snuggled up close to some other female! I firmly believe a person gets one chance. If they blow it, that's it. No second chance! What's to stop him cheating again? Could you handle that? Are you willing to take the risk? How mant times would you accept it and stay with him?

• Are you seriously asking this question in regards of having positive answers about your "boyfriend" who you've been CHEATED ON by?

He does not respect you, he does not care about your friendship and he DOES manipulate you into staying with you.

Leave the idiot behind and let him rot in hell for his mistake, cheaters deserve to be left behind by their loved ones; that's ALL they deserve.

• ... Well, do you know WHY he cheated?

Of course, if he cheated, he has already given up on the relationship.

• Not sure why, he's so close to me

• @Mesonfielde It's pretty obvious why. Same as in so many cases. Some lady said "Yes please" and he just couldn't say no!! Just couldn't help himself!!

• @dogbert444 You kinda have to get to not wanting to say no

• Once you cheat, the fine grey line becomes a whole lot thicker, and a whole lot more things are in this grey line now.

However, if you think you can trust him fully, sure, why not give him another chance. But I would never be able to trust anyone after they cheated.

best of luck. Hope your choice works out

• Just a quick thought... Maybe break up with him but remain friends since you've been best friends for so long? Maybe he wanted to "branch out" and not be so settled with one person? (Just a quick thought at 4:30 AM.)

• He doesn't love you and he's manipulating you! Fucking leave him. No guy cheats cuz he's happy. He will cheat again. I can guarantee it.

• Depends on what you consider cheating, why he did it, how he feels about what he did, and what his plans are going forward with you.

• no. like you said: If it was another guy, I would dump his ass by now, if you start dishing out different rules for the same offence... where will it stop?

• Just confuse of why he will do this to me; the girl that always been there for him and push him to do something with his life

• he didn't value you, or the relationship or even your friendship. A mistake is made when you're not thinking with a rational mind, i. e. Saying something/acting out of fear. He KNEW what he was doing, he KNEW it would hurt you-and that alone should stopped him.

• No no

• He will cheat again, its the sad truth.

You deserve better than him.

• I'd say give him at least a second chance since we all make mistakes.

• But this was not a mistake. He knew what he was doing, and he willing hurt her. Just knowing that cheating is hurting your mate should be enough to stop you.

• There are still NO excuses. It is a deliberate act where the mistake is getting caught! Of course there's going to be regret. But it STILL happened.

• He cheated on her, KNOWING what he was doing, KNOWING it would it would hurt her, AND he spat on their friendship. He was not only her best friend, but her boyfriend, his instinct to protect her should have been doubled

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 13

• Thats soo disrespectful. He doesn't truly love you and he ain't loyal. Some pack y'all have, looks like you are the only one keeping it. I would break up with this guy and look for someone who can love and treat you with respect.

• Nope.

• He clearly doesn't see you as his best friend if he could do something like that to you.

• Nope! I don't like cheaters!

• No! There's no excuse or exception for cheating. Cheating is a choice and not a mistake. So it's intentional and he obviously doesn't care about you or your friendship and he has zero respect. It's not a real relationship or friendship if he does that. There's no excuses or exceptions with cheating. It's a CHOICE. He CHOSE to do that to you and you need to get out of it. I'm sorry but it's the truth.

• No break up with him. Cheaters don't deserve another chance no matter how close you were before. He has no respect for you and even though you think you two are best friends, I don't think he feels the same.

• Him and I formed a pack a long time ago

• Well in the end, it is up to you. I believe we don't hurt the ones we love and people never change unless they really want to and have the drive and maturity needed.

• Asker this pact shit you keep saying is worthless. Once he cheats the trust and love is gone. Move on and stop trying to save a relationship with nothing there.

• Woah.. of course. Best friends shouldn't get a free pass for anything. Even if they gay cheated you too.

• Once a cheater always a cheater. I never wanted to believe this but from personal experience I can tell you, its true.

• It would hurt anyways, but my best friend.

• I recently just lost my best friend, she just up and decided she wanted nothing to do with me. I thought we would be friends forever. My significant other decided to do the same. I also thought we would be together forever. Nothing lasts forever. If he cheated on you as your boyfriend, what kinda of best friend does that make him? Best friends aren't supposed to hurt each other unless it's for their own good. Also if your best friend is the one hurting you, who will you go to? Never rely on someone too much, it sets you up for a whole lot of heartache.

• Yeah if it was another guy, his ass would be dump by now

• One thing I personally know about cheaters is that they will do it again. So the choice is really up to you. Though consider the fact that he will most likely cheat again.

• I wouldn't give a cheater another chance.
    Go back to being just friends, if that's possible.

• Things happen for a reason if you don't want to you don't have to and who cares if he was your best friend he still hurted you. He still mess up.

• Okay but honestly I wouldn't forgive if you x a friend for a good reason maybe it was meant to be that he leaves your life.

• No, and even more so since he's your best friend.

• No, I think you should just try to go back to being friends.

• No. Dump him and never talk to him again. He's a complete asshole.