Why is dating outside one's race still controversial?

Who said we have to have romantic interest only in a person who has similar skin pigment? Answer below if you'd date/or not date people different colors and why.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's true. Even in the black community. If you're a black man like me who prefers to date outside your race, you have your own people trying to tell you how you hate your mom or your race. Even the black community still has its own antiquated prejudices and dispositions.

I don't really get it because we're such a racially diverse society in these times. It really shouldn't matter.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have and am dating a guy of a different race. My ex was Fijian, current boyfriend is Asian. I'm white.

I used to have reservations about interracial dating. Mostly put into my kind by my mother; different traditions, culture, and religions are by default bad in her eyes. Only after I got with my current boyfriend did I realize that none of the issues she and many others worry about are related to race, directly. Even if they're different, that doesn't mean bad. I mean.. Many things changed in society because of progress towards something different, right?

What Guys Said 12

• Because many people are racist: look at Trump's success.

• Many people still don't approve of it. Are they wrong to do so? Yes and no. While you seem to think they are wrong for their views they would defend their beliefs you would serve to stop it out. They wouldn't agree with that it is ok and would attemp to change you. Now again I ask who is wrong here? I say no one is. It's called freedom of choice. I personally say anything that remotely intrudes on any of my freedoms is a bad thing

• I have no objection to this provided they are equally attractive and have similar values system. The problem mostly lies in the ethnicity than biological race. Social values is a more concern. If the other person or I am against a certain value of the other then it becomes a problem. It is controversial because some people give too much emphasis of their problems on the race and blame their short comings on unusual or out of ordinary things. So, since it is uncommon to marry out of race, they started blaming the race for the misfortunes due to some other reason that is not easily noticeable to them.

• Controversial for all the Latino boys when this gringo has more game than them wassup 😎✌

• There are many reasons why people think like that. Some people are simply bigots, other people are afraid that their race is going to stop being pure. It's very sad that some people still don't agree with interracial Romance. Hopefully I can date either a white woman or a Hispanic woman, because they are my preferences.

• it's not.

• Because people in general are imbeciles.

• Its not really at least where I live

• because some people just enjoy moaning about anything

• yes of course

• Because it is still not a normal behavior for humans.

• I don't think it is, in my family or social group. Of course i would. Some of my cousins are married to people of different colors.

What Girls Said 13

• These are some of the reasons I can think about:

- people are racist
    - some are jealous
    - some think that when you're dating outside your race, you're "stealing" men/women of their race
    - some are close-minded
    - others are not used to see people of different races together
    - some people are uncomfortable with this
    - some people think that you should only date within your race
    - racism is still an huge issue in some parts of the world

Yes, I would date outside my race. And I probably will end up dating a guy who doesn't have the same skin color as me.

• I don't think it's that controversial in most globalized cities.
    I think that people throw shades at white people for being racist, but from my observations they are actually the "least racist " when it comes to interracial marriages.
    I have seen white people mixing up with every race or ethnicity I know, on the other hand, some other ethnicities don't like interracial marriages at all, and even when they do, it's pretty "selective " as in, they might be okay for only some few other races.

• That is a very good question tbh.
    I gotten so many stupid and racist remarks like "uh so you like rice faces" or "yellow-fever much" when I was with my Korean girlfriend it's almost ridiculous. It seemed even more of an issue than the fact that we were both girls to many people and I always liked to believe that people moved from being racist to being homophobic but apparently society decided to keep both of those "in fashion". Sad.

• Its not unless your backward!

• Because some people are garbage and think they should stick their garbage fingers into other people's lives...

• My parents married outside of their race, and I as an asian/caucasian girl am dating a latino guy so yup i have no problem dating outside my race/ethnicity. Its kinda weird tho, because even tho me and my boyfriend are a different race, we kind of look similar to each other. Anyway, i think its stupid people care that much about it. I guess im pretty bias tho considering my circumstance.

• Is he a man, then yes, we could date.

• I would, and I am (boyfriend is Asian, I'm white) and I would because I like whoever I like, regardless of race.

• Because most people want kids/grandkids that look like them

• Likely because there's still a variety of races.

• Yeeep, color dosent ad or take anything lol just like hair color.

• I don't think there's anything wrong with interracial dating. I would def date someone who's not my race and I've asked out a guy who wasn't before. I think it's mainly the more traditional people who are against interracial dating.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more