How do I tell my significant other that I dropped out of high school?

During high school I was facing extremely difficult circumstances and I ended up dropping out. (I don't have a child or anything) Anyways, I kept this a secret from everyone and moved onto community college. I am now at a university in the National Honors program. However, my significant other and friend of seven years does not know that I never completed high school. I am nervous about telling the truth, even though I am a successful college student now with a promising future. What do I do? Help.

Most Helpful Guy

• just tell him. you clearly overcame teh obstacles that led to you dropping out so he should actually be impressed with your resilience

at least that's how i'd see it. i'd think wow most high school drop outs are unable to be disciplined enough to continue their education against the difficult odds but

Most Helpful Girl

• your past doesn t define you
    and you got your shit together.
    honesty is a must in my opinion.

What Guys Said 16

• sounds like you are doing fine, I'd just tell him. Unless there is some drawback to it, there is not a big deal.

• How to tell him? just tell him directly, be straightforward about it.

• But how did you enroll in college without completing high school?

Anyway, it's a part of your past now, no reason to deny or avoid it.

• Community college accepts a ged

• "I didn't finish high school"

• Just tell him and if it's something that is bothering you then you can take classes to get a GED.

• Lol well you must of gotten a GED or something to get into college?
    Dont matter. Thats not a huge secret. Your in the National Honor society now!

• I don't think you have to tell him unless he asks about it because it's not really a big deal. You still got to college and are doing well so the path you took to get there doesn't matter

• Tell him that you were dealing with hard things in your life, and that you've put that past behind you.

• Just Tellem be straight with him, you're going to college for goodness sake. At least you didn't drop, it and then just completely give up that is a big deal. Just tell him most men value honesty.

• You can tell him. Mind if I ask what the extremely difficult circumstances were, exactly?

• Why would that even matter at all?

• dont tell him. who cares that you proposed out if your doing better now.

• You should say, "hun... I dropped out of high school and wasn't confident enough to tell you until now."

• Just tell him. I don't think it's that big of a deal

• "I dropped out."

• don't it's not important it really isn't plus 90% of whats in school texts books is a lie

What Girls Said 8

• Why do you feel like you need to tell them? Just curious, not saying that you shouldn't. I feel like you can really just approach this very directly. Like you said, you're extremely successful now, so it's not like your past has significantly hindered you, and you have a bright future ahead of you. If you're asking how or when to bring this up, it is graduation season, so you can totally slip it in. Say you're scrolling through FB and see a picture, you can just be like "hey funny story.. I don't think I ever told you, but did you know that I actually dropped out of high school way back when?"

• Just keep in mind that everybody has had made some less than smart decisions in their life. And anyone claiming they haven't is liar. You have come a long way it sounds like, and were able to overcome that choice and push forward with determination to better yourself. Just tell them and explain that it makes you a little embarrassed or whatever, but girl don't be. You sound like you're doing well. Keep it up

• duh!

• You should tell him, only a snob would look down on you for a simple thing like that, especially since you are in school again.

• You don't have to just tell him out of the blue. Wait till that topic comes around that's all. Plus you're successful now and happy and that's all that matters. It's alright hun don't be afraid. If he can't handle that then you know he ain't right for you.

• I doubt they would care unless they are really shallow people.

• Just tell him the entire truth without leaving a single detail and I am sure he will understand.

• Don't be like 'I dropped out of high school' just say 'I didn't completely finish high school' and you can tell them it's honestly not important because if you would have finished high school you probably wouldn't be where you are now...