I'm in love with my doctor/surgeon. How do I get over him?

I know it is completely wrong, so I want to get over him as quickly as possible.

2 weeks ago i had surgery because I was in a car accident and my nose was shattered into pieces. I could barely breathe, and needed oxygen. I thought I was going to die. My surgeon immediately operated me, and I could breathe better than ever! He was kind, attentive, intelligent and also funny (he would crack a joke or two). My feelings for him developed after my cast was removed. I know that I am mixing my feelings of gratitude for love, because not only did he save my life, but I was able to breathe better and my nose looked better than ever!

I never have a thing for men who are in their end 40s, so that is definitely not the issue here. although i do think that men around my age, even those who are approaching 30 are extremely immature and don't know what they want.

I definitely won't pursue my doctor, because obviously it is so wrong on so many levels. Not only because I'm his patient, but since he is in his 40's he probably has a life of his own, and even if he didn't have a family, it would be frowned upon on society cause of the age-difference and the doctor-patient thing. And I know that it is just my feelings of gratitude is mistaken for love..

The problem now is that I ofcourse have these feelings for him. I won't see him any longer (thank god) since I had my last check-up last week. But I need to get over these feelings and forget about him. Can anyone give me advice on how to forget my doctor? Because he is spooking in my mind quite a lot...

Most Helpful Guy

• It is actually a psychological thing. He saved you and thus you developed feelings for him. That he is decent looking and the other aspects just add to this.

The key point is that it is most likely a crush just strongly enhanced by him saving you. It will vanish within time, you just need to give it time.

Most Helpful Girl

• Thank God you are Alive here, dear, And with the Doctor at hand, Who happens to be the Man... I need to get over these feelings and forget him... It's time to Move on and Begin a new Beguine.
    God has given you a Second Chance and with this, A New Romance, And sadly it may Not be with the Doc who came on the Spot who was riding a white horse in your own mind, But it will Surely be Someone Special who has More in Store and be just the Right Knight for you and Now... You know what you are looking for.
    This too shall Pass, Not the Gratitude, Which is what you are Feeling with "Oh, my hero," But the feelings of a Crush that will eventually go to Mush when you go out and Socialize and meet Another.
    Too bad he was not Available.. Doctors Maybe Make a good Lover but not Totally a good Husband with Long hours and Not always home.
    Good luck And Blessings. xx

What Guys Said 6

• First of all, I am glad you are medically OK after all of this. I'm sure he feels a sense of satisfaction after helping you also. I think it is not too far out of the ordinary for someone to feel as you do. It is one of those things. This same issue was even addressed on one of the M*A*S*H episodes with Hawkeye Pierce. I'd say give it time.
    PS: Although I'm not a physician, I had a career in medicine, and today was my last day! Moving on to different things.

• I think you have to remember that you are a patient and he just did his job by helping you so there isn't really any special bond between you two. I'm glad both my surgeons are old men because I think I definitely would've developed a huge crush if a hot female doctor saved my life multiple times

• I'm not so sure that you are in love with your doctor. I think you have a syndrome called Florence Nightingale syndrome. It's when a patient falls in love with his or her caretaker.

Your feelings for your doctor usually fade after a month or two.

• Sorry to tell you this. People in this field don't date their patients at all. It put their career at risk.

• Is he single? If not, then drop it obviously, but if he is, what have you got to lose?

• Get an appointment.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't think as a doctor he will be likely to pursue a relationship with in the near fture. It's a violation of the doctor and patient priviledge. Seriously,
    you need to do something worthwhile to stop thinking about him.

• You need to get out more. Then you won't crush so hard.