Is silence okay in a relationship?

For example: we go out to dinner and there may be a long pause or we watch TV and sometimes even during the ads we don't say anything just watch the boring ads... Is this okay? Scared he'll think I'm boring but then I think hey he can start convos too..

(first real relationship issues Fml LOL)

Most Helpful Guy

• If you're both comfortable with it there's nothing wrong with silence. You can still enjoy each others company without talking. There's no rule. Most guys even appreciate the silence in all honesty lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure, silence is totally fine. There is a song in my country and the lyrics go something like this: It's a beautiful thing to have someone you can just be quiet with - someone you can enjoy silence with. It's sounds a bit ridiculous translated like this but it's actually very deep. :)

What Guys Said 3

• long pauses are ok, you are thinking. much better if you can still feel the affection going. what happens is people get nervous, the "introvert" inside themselves, and that is no good. Have to learn to be comfortable with pauses, that you aren't sure what to say and be ok with it. ditto for him. take teh time to run his fingers through your hair or something... speak without words:)

• It is OK, awkward silences are cool. If it's long term as in days or weeks or months then there is a problem.

• I love silence. It only makes me uncomfortable when I see that the other person is also uncomfortable and is looking for things to say (but still keeps quiet, or makes stupid conversations, just to break silence).

I can enjoy my silence, when others also enjoy it.

What Girls Said 1

• It's fine for their to be silences.