Don't you think, "Be yourself" is such bull crap?

When you really be yourself when trying to date, you scare people off. So most people put up a front to get them interested first, then you let yourself show once you're in a relationship. That's when they start complaining that you've changed. So what the fuck?

0|1
11|10

Most Helpful Guy

• It means be honest about the kind of person you are, so the people that do like you will like you a lot. You're not meant to get along with and be liked by everyone you meet. Some personalities don't mix well. Doesn't mean be an asshole, but do be honest about what you think and feel. If they don't like you, then they don't like you. You shouldn't be in a relationship where you feel like you're always hiding who you really are. If no one seems to like you, then maybe there are some things you need to work on about yourself.

Just be aware that not being liked eeveryone is normal.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• no i dont. if YOU scare people off when you're being yourself, then you need to examine who you are, improve your qualities and make THAT become who you are. it's not fake, it's called GROWTH.
    you aren't supposed to change, ur supposed to improve and if you aren't willing to do that, dont date.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

• It's not bull crap.

I'd rather attract very few, genuine people in my life, instead of a whole army of fake people who don't know who I truly am.

1|0
    0|0
  • it just means don´t lie about who you are. it doesn´t mean, tell them all your darkest secrets on the first date xD

2|1
    0|0
  • Basically avoid all that by simply being yourself, you dont want people to fall in love with a fake persona. Its just good if scare people off whos not for you anyway.

1|0
    0|0
  • If I was truly myself I would end up killing people lmao

0|0
    0|0
  • It is be your self to that do not play something that you are not be nice to others and thay should be nice to you , so just keep smiling if you are hurt inside do not let other people know. 😃

0|0
    0|0
  • i was myself when i asked my boyfriend out now im in a awesome relationship with him.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, it is gospel truth

0|0
    0|0
  • nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it's really more like "be yourself as long as you aren't horrible because then it's not going to work".

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• It's become a cliché, but it has truth to it. If you come from a place of authenticity, it's easier to find people who relate, think and behave in ways that are compatible with you. When you hide who you are completely, then that can just delay an inevitable break up.

Working to improve yourself should be a big part of all this too, though. "Be yourself" shouldn't mean get complacent.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yup! Its just disney garbage!

0|0
    0|0
  • True. "Be yourself" probably means "Be the best version of yourself". After all, all of us have a good and a bad side. By showing them the good side at first, they will hopefully grow to accept your bad side as well.

1|2
    0|0
  • So you should start off being yourself, so you know upfront if someone likes you for who you are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Uh no. If someone doesn't like you for who you really are they are obviously not the right person for you. Of course people going to complain that you've changed, because you're not actually the person they've fallen for in the first place. Whether you like it or not a person's true colors will come out eventually, so why waste each other's time on masquerades?

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not bs. Whats the point of putting up a front if they are going to find out who you really are eventually, and possibly break up? It's better to be direct.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes because nobody would tell Hitler to be himself.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is

0|0
    0|0
  • It is bullshit. But do it anyway. Who cares what people think.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's best to be upfront you would be respected and being yourself means you accept who you are so who cares if you meet a few assholes who don't like you, it just means they aren't for you. You shouldn't put on a facade for anyone because no one likes a person who is fake.

0|0
    0|0