Is approaching outdated in 2016?

It seems out of the ordinary, going up to an attractive stranger and trying to have a conversation and maybe their number.

Of all the times I did it I just got short replies, some smiles, and if I'm lucky she actually keeps it going for a while.

I don't get anywhere though, girls just seem bothered or annoyed and being glued to their phone doesn't help us guys.

Most Helpful Guy

• guys who are bold enough to continue approaching today are the ones who have the most to benefit. Hardly any guys approach girls in that way anymore. More guys are checking out through MGTOW than there are men going out there and going after what they want. Because of all this, there has never been a greater time in history to be an average guy. Since the competition is so low, an average guy with an ounce of confidence can make a strong impact on a girl by simply doing what other guys aren't, which is trying.

What Girls Said 8

• I agree. It's sad.
    Maybe it's a better option to chat with them, see if you might actually have something in common before asking for their number... but I get how that could be awkward - how do you go about taking their time with whomever they're with now to just chat for 20 minutes? You can't.
    So... it's just awkward. Women really aren't all about a man's looks, so when someone that's cute approaches us - if we're not teenagers - we won't be that interested because we're more into personality - but that's a catch - how do we get to know your personality in a few minutes we talk and you ask for out number?
    it's a vicious circle.

Best to get set up or chat a bit and get to know each other before exchanging numbers... Yeah.
    It's tough. I know. Also awkward most of the time.

• well you're right, in todays world everyone is concerned about what is going on in their hand (their phones), they dont really pay any attention to the outside world. Like this morning, there were 6 guys sitting in front of the laundromat glued to their phones! Not one would look up to see if a hot girl passed by or not...

its a shame really...

But - you try to be unique and ask someone out in person, approach away. I would LOVE that.

• I feel like no one actually wants people in real life anymore. Everything is through an app or online dating or something.

• Absolutely not.

• Look around though, it barely happens anymore and when it does people are weirded out and shocked

• Not everyone is like that tho.

• It depends on the person. I would prefer to met someone in real life and not online

• No, just do it. Let them know. Dont just give signs. Go talk to the girl! She'll appreciate it.

• Just because you approach a girl does not mean every girl you approach will like you

That's just life
    It's not even a gender thing

• Approaching isn't as common during the day, but at night on the weekend when people are out, it's everywhere. I think a lot of people meet others through friends of friends and their social group, or parties and events, though.

What Guys Said 11

• I am under the same impression.

Thanks to apps like Tinder, it's not longer necessary to summon up the courage and to just approach someone you don't know at all you would like to get to know better.

I even feel like it's being frowned upon meanwhile.
    And furthermore there is a thing called "creep-shaming" : You never know what women will talk about you behind your back and there are people who make up malevolent rumors - regardless of gender.

So, guys have a legitimate reason to fear for their reputation.

• I would say that it is not out dated it is just fround aupon by most women. They say that they want it but when it happens they are mean and nasty to the guy.

• i got turned down yesterday... if i was hurting, i'd lick my wounds.

it's part of the game. not everyone is gonna like you.

• Well for me I don't even ask out every girl I like. I just stop having feelings for some.

• @Megapokemonmaster how would u have feelings for someone u don't even know... building them up before u've even spoken to each other is what stops y'all from approaching.

• That's true but I'm not a robot who can just keep taking hits

• Approaching is exhilarating to me, I seriously love it.

• I'd ask you to do it for me but that's not how it works 😂

• What do you usually do?

• Do you have any pointers about knowing if a girl wants to be approached? Maybe I just approach the ones that don't want to

• I mean if you still dont have at least 10 hot chicks in contacts, brah bahaha

• It was outdated in 2013.

• I don't recall it ever being a thing. at least not in western countries. It's creepy.

• Have friends introduce you to other girls that they know, you have more time to get to know them

• Unless you are a supermodel, then yes, approaching women is outdated. If they don't find you attractive, they will accuse you of harassing them, or even raping them (and thanks to the system, they will believe her).

• Girls have never liked it - unless the guy is really, really good looking

• So I guess it would be impossible for me to get a girl cause I have no social circle