He said something after our BU that really hurt re:his family's opinion of me. Why does it hurt?

Last fall, I reconnected with a guy on fb that I went to elementary school with but hadn't seen since 5th grade. He lived thousands of miles away and we started off our "relationship" by talking on the phone. We met face-to-face a couple months later and it was amazing. Because of the distance and finances, we weren't able to see eachother again for 6 weeks. But we kept the flame Alice by FaceTime and talking. So when I saw him for the 2nd time, it was Christmas Eve. He had to head back home in Christmas night, so I got to spend time with him on Christnas Eve, his parents/siblings got him on Christmas Day. I kinda remembered his family from elem school and I they remembered me. He and I were madly in love by this point. As I kind gesture, I gave him a bag with his Christmas gift and a small gift for each of them with their names on each package, it was just Fudge for them. I'm a giving person, he said the fudge was a big hit. But now that we've broken up, he said the fudge was a red flag according to his sisters and how he should have listened. The truth finally came out: They thought it was weird and it looked like I was trying too hard. Ouch! It makes me never want to do anything thoughtful or nice for anyone again.

What Guys Said 2

• I don't know what they're talking about. I'dve thought it was nice

• Thank you!! I would've thought the same thing!

• Oh please dont do that. That guy was an idiot. Personally i would not have broken up with you over that. I would have cherished the gesture. My wife does stuff like that for me sometimes.

• We didn't break up over it. He told me they thought it was weird after we broke up. Do it was in a "my family never liked you from the beginning because you gave them damn fudge for Christmas without ever meeting them. Weird! My sister was right, you are out to prove yourself to people."

• Like i said it was a nice thing to do. I would prefer something like that to say something bought.

What Girls Said 1

• His family sounds sort of ungrateful. You made a good gesture and they found something to complain about it. Anyway, it's not like it matters anymore. You have already broke up with the guy.