Would you date a recovering heroin addict?

a recovering heroin addict... still taking medication to "get better"?

havent logged on in months! great conversation guys!

Most Helpful Girl

• Drugs are a crazy thing, and they are a hard thing to recover from (I watched my brother do it many times) You need to be a strong person if you want to be with him because it possible he could relapse. I think that if he had someone that he felt cared about him a lot would help out quite a bit. Drugs really do change a person. But in the end its up to you and if you really click with him and care for this person. He made mistakes in his life and payed for them and is trying to move on and live a better life.

• Ty...and wow everyones responses seem so quick to judge...Yes drugs is a horrible thing to get involved with and are harder than anything to quit. One of my really good friends has been clean for a few years and is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. She made mistakes, people do that...some are just bigger than others. A person can overcome anything if they want to but they also need support especially for something like substance abuse. Good luck with everything!

What Guys Said 1

• That's a negative.

Don't want to know about or be with someone who is so careless with their health.

What Girls Said 7

• Well it all depends on how much he means to you. If he's just someone you casually just started talking to , I personally wouldn't bother dating him just because I've already dated someone who was addicted to heroin. it's not to much fun.haha.But if he means a lot to you then I would say you should consider giving him a chance. If you were to walk away from him that would just give him an excuse and more temptation to relapse.

I hope I helped you out .

• Absolutely not.

• I know this is 6 months late. But, I figured I'd answer your question. I AM in a relationship with a recovering heroin addict. And I will say, it's extremely hard. He relapsed and ended up back into rehab. Heroin is a horrible drug, it not only is very addicting mentally, but it is physically addicting. You need a lot of patience to date a recovering addict. You need to read up on recovery, and even attend meetings. You need to understand what makes them want to use. You also need to understand that addicts are very good at mind games, so you need to look for the warning signs (missing money, track marks, going out all the time, falling asleep, no appetite, weight loss, anger, depression, missing items like lap tops, cameras, ipods, etc.) Addicts need to be in recovery for themselves, but sometimes it's good for them to have someone to be there for them, since many don't have any real friends. Recovering addicts will always be in recovery. They will always need counseling, meetings, etc... ALWAYS! That is a mistake many addicts make, they think they can do it on their own after graduating from a program. You also need to know that they need tough love, there is a difference between being their for them and enabling them. Also, they say people in heroin recovery that are younger than 24 have a greater chance of recovery. I hope I helped somewhat, even though this is months late.

• I am too with a recovering heroin addict, was on it for a year, I met him when he was on it (I never touched it) and at the exact time he went away for weeks on end to get off it but we kept in touch throughout it and we been together nearly a year now. it is hard work, he seems mentally addicted but not physically. it is so hard, he has lapsed a few times but he suffers manic depression. tough love is so needed! your right. but the person he really is is worth it all, it really is!

• No, they'll always be 'recovering'. For me it's too risky.

• nope. don't need to take care of someone else. especially when theyve brought it upon themselves.

• no.

Please tell me you did not just meet a recovering heroin addict and you're thinking about dating him. Why are your standards so low?

• I just consider people to be blessings and yes I have thought about it.

• That would be on you not that person... if they are burdens... just saying.

• They not monsters, they have had hard lifes and can suffer manic depression. by boyfriend is a user and he is such a beautiful person! he has just had it bad x

• I wouldn't, simply because my life is a mess right now, trying to deal with everything I have going on. I don't think I'm strong enough (right now) to take on someone else's problems as well

• I see what your saying... but to start off slow... like only making a day a week to hang out...i mean, it seems like he's gotten good control of it now...working and such... people change for the better if given a chance. I know I would want another shot at love if the situation were reversed. in fact, I feel we are all recovering from something...

• Yeah definitely. I mean, everyone comes with their own set of problems that the other person is going to have to deal with. he made a mistake in his past and I don't think he should be punished for that. at least he's trying to recover and doing the best that he can given the circumstances. I would say give him a chance, but don't allow yourself to get too attached too quickly. take it slow and see where it takes you

• Agreed. :)