Do girls expect guys to stick around in the friendzone?

Once a friend comes forth with his feeling and you turn him down. Do you expect him to not cut you out of your life? Do you expect him to stick around and watch you date other guys that you find better than him and give you a shoulder to cry on and basically be your puppy?

Most Helpful Girl

• if he wants to never talk to me again that's his choice. But I can't help who I am attracted to. I don't expect any guy to be my "puppy." But I expect my friends to act like friends. My friendship is not a consolation prize. You don't get to pretend to be my friend and then ditch me just because I'm not attracted to you. If you don't want to be my friend, then fine, that's your choice. But don't pretend it's my fault.

• Never said its the girls fault. I was just alluding to the fact that some girls get offended that they can't reject you and still have you around.
      The reason I didn't stick around is simply, at some point the girl will start dating other guys.
      You have to keep in mind when he sees you with other guys he'll go thinking why did she choose them and not me, what do they have that I dont.
      These things are not easy for a guy to emotionally deal with, its easier just to avoid it all together.

• I agree
      I was thinking more in terms of them having been friends for some time, and then suddenly the guy starts developing feelings for her which escalate. And when he gets rejected he doesn't want to stick around to get emotionally toyed with.

• yeah I can see how it would be frustrating, but I wouldn't call it "being emotionally toyed with." She's not doing it on purpose.
      I would just hope that all those years of friendship might be stronger, and yes of course it would be hard at first to watch the girl with another guy, but if you were friends for so long there's the hope that you will get over the crush and go back to being friends.

Most Helpful Guy

• In my experience girls do expect you to stick around, seemingly oblivious to the pain it is causing you or would cause you as they date people you know you are better than who proceed to treat them badly! The only sensible course of action, if you truly care for her, is to tell her that you are her friend if she needs you, but put as much distance as possible between you day to day.

What Girls Said 3

• I expect a friend to be a friend as long as they value the friendship. If they walk off I guess they don't and that's ok.

• I don't cry on anyone shoulder so no.

• I leave because I dont want to be around when she starts dating other guys in front of me and I have to go wonder why she chose them over me and why I wasent good enough. I'll rather avoid all this and not have to think about it. Do you think thats all that selfish?

• I would expect him to do so. If he valued our friendship, he would. But if he wants to walk away, then so be it. I'm not going to cry over it or anything.

• Just unpleasant to watch

• It is, but again, it's your decision.

• You don't have to stick around. Move on.

What Guys Said 2

• Girls are bitches, the sooner you realize the better off you'll be.

• Yea, they reject us and then get mad when we refuse to deal with being the guy she only talks to when no one else is talking to her.