When meeting someone for the first time would you rather go get a cup of coffee or a drink?

• cup of coffee in the morning/early afternoonwhen meeting someone for the first time would you rather go get a cup of coffee or a drink?
  • drink at a bar later in the eveningwhen meeting someone for the first time would you rather go get a cup of coffee or a drink?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would rather go for a drink at the bar. Its more relaxing in my opinion. Coffee dates seem too focused on talking, and some people (me) find that hard on a first date with a person you dont know well. I always struggle to come up with things to say lol. When you're at a bar there's more noise so you would have go closer to her when you speak, its a perfect opportunity for breaking the touch barrier.

• haha thats interesting. i like coffee dates for that same reason. less noise and its easier to get to know the person. to each their own though!

• exactly and i have yet to see any drama started over a cup of coffee , unless its over the coffee being to weak or to strong lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• I like going out for dinner, so a drink would be nice. But most guys want to go out for coffee which is okay. I just find, because I don't drink coffee, some guys get weirded out by it. And if we go to a place that doesn't have a lot of other options, I end up not ordering anything, so that might make it awkward too.

• Yeah. That's awkward, oh I just won't order anything and I'll sit here and stare at you while you eat. lol

• I actually have a buddy that does this and I tell him the exact same thing. I'll be like so you're just going to sit there and watch me eat like a fucking creep? He always laughs.

What Guys Said 42

• I'd have to go with Option A also. Not really a drinker except with my local buddies, and even then that's usually when we go out to eat dinner or for appetizers and beer.

• I think drinks and dinner is the type of dates I like to go on. I don't have time in the morning or afternoon to do those type of dates. Unless it was the weekend.

• Coffee. It's all about first impressions. If a girl asked me to get coffee, my first impression of her would be that she is probably more civilized and classy.

If she asked me to get a drink, I'd be more likely to assume she is somewhat of a "party girl", which I don't find very attractive.

Plus, I'd rather not have my thoughts clouded with alcohol on a first date.

• I don't care so much. I don't drink that much and wouldn't drink on a first date anyway. but the atmosphere is better there, but I suspect the woman is less comfortable, so whatever...

• I've always gone with the coffee date. I like for both of us to have a clear mind when getting to know each other. More importantly, I've noticed that most of my coffee dates progress into something else. Since coffee dates usually take place in the morning or afternoon, there's time to do something else later in the day.
    Bars can sometimes be loud and make it difficult to talk to your date.

• I don't drink coffee so this is an easy one.

• Coffee to keep it casual.
    A bar is a bit... yenno... for the first meeting.
    http://i.imgur.com/ZUOqEgj.gif

• haha i agree with you

• Some people like to dial the heat from 0-11 in like 2 seconds , if that's what they want ah well, the pub is the choice for them :P
      I like to get to know someone more first. Call me a prude dude or what not.

• Coffee dates for sure now as I have gotten older lmao. You can sit and talk and listen to each other. Its usually pretty quiet. A few years ago I would of said the bar for drinks but that can be loud and annoying. Especially if you don't know if they have a band playing or something. Definitely coffee dates for me.

• a cup of coffee because a drink will make you say thing you could regret or not remember later. and besides coffee is 100% better than a drink.

• Well, it depends on the circumstances.

In general, I'd go for the "cup of coffee" date. There's usually less pressure involved in this set up and you actually get a chance to know the person better.

On the other hand, lots of these dates feel more like a job interview than anything else.

• Drinks if u are really sure you'll like them
    Coffee if you aren't sure you'll like them

• Really? I think the opposite. Like if a guy asked me to get drinks I'd think he just wanted to fuck. But if a guy asked me to get coffee id think he wanted to get to know me. Ya know?

• I see ya, my line if thinking is. Drinks is more intimate and you'll spend more time together or at least have the option if u decide to do so.
      Whereas coffee is just, coffee you know? I mean if it were me I'd have to get back to the office after like an hour unless it were in the weekend. Whereas, drinks after work there's no time limit really.

• Voted A

if it's truly a first date and i don't the person at all or very well then i'd say coffee. I don't want anything to impair my judgment or influence my decisions

but if it's someone i know and we are going on a first date after knowing each other for a while then going for a drink could be fine

• Drinks but only because I'm at work 5-6 days a work already by 5:30 am, I'm basically only available after work hours or Sunday mornings.

Most people assume that if asked out for drinks, guys just want to fuck, but that's not it at all, at least not for me personally.

• Have a drink... most people work late and the drink/quiet restaurant bar atmosphere will help us relax.

• Chatting over coffee during the day is conversation.
    The same thing over a drink in the evening is a first date.
    Which is better requires a look at prior history of the two.

• I'd rather have a cup of coffe. It's easier to get to know the person, not only the fun side when people drink, but to real person. It's easier to talk, less noise, less people around.

• Coffee is kinda more of thing you would go for to make things less like a date, make things more casual and more relaxing. While a drink is more romantic and probably something you would go for with when you know the person slightly better.

The first question you would probably ask the girl / guy at the cafe would be... what's your cup of tea? (coffee...) Quite an icebreaker... and something to start talking about...

Drinks generally make people feel more relaxed and conversations can get intimate...

• depending on time of day, I know its 5 O'clock somewhere.. and granted alcohol is the truth serum, coffee is usually the best bet.. then alcohol :)

• I'd prefer coffee, as I don't drink.

• Either. The important thing is to go somewhere where you can hold a conversation without shouting.

• Meeting for a coffee is always nice. Especially if you can meet around lunch time, it is usually quiet so you will be able to talk and find out about each other. Plus if it goes well there is always the opportunity to go for a walk afterwards. Bars can be noisy places, not all the time. So coffee in a nice cafe would be my first choice.

• Coffee or lunch cause I get really red when I drink.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3oVnh1zcOe8/hqdefault.jpg
    Id be like this guy

• Coffee. I do not consume alcohol.

• Regardless of the time of day, coffee is a better idea for a first date... unless you are just trying to get laid...

• For me I prefer coffee since I like coffee and coffee shops. But going for a drink would be cool too.

• I'm a more social drinker, I open up a lot more and conversation flows better for me especially if I'm meeting a stranger.

• Depends on how hot she is

• I don't drink alcohol, so I'd choose coffee.

• I don't drink alcohol as I feel it's unwise to do so...

• Both lol

• More from Guys
    12

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 38

• I said in a bar in the evening... BUT it depends where and how I met them AND what kind of person/relationship I am trying to establish.

If it is more romantic, definitely during the early evening, if it's more platonic or business wise/friendship, etc... it would be during the day :)
    Although some romantic activities can occur during the day, it would then be based/depend on how and where we met...

• It depends:

If it's somebody I've known but haven't met in person, I'd be down for drinks.

If I don't know them and don't fully trust them, then I prefer coffee.

• I picked coffee haha but that also depends on both people's schedule and free time. It would also be nice if both people made free time to see each other, that really means something.. But I definitely wouldn't mind having late breakfast early lunch and have a cup of coffee over a nice conversation, that sounds nice actually

• I've always went for a coffee the first time I met guys on dates. It was the safer option, I'd prefer to be fully compas mentis and have my Witt's about me. The last thing I would want is a guy i dont really know taking advantage of me.

• I rather do my homework... order some pizza hut and watch a movie on tv! hahaha

• A drink at a bar is more comfortable. And the alcohol helps to reduce any jitters of the meeting, whereas coffe may just add to them.

• in my single days, my standard first date was ALWAYS coffee in the afternoon, ideally after work. It is a failproof way of finding out really quick if you hit it off.
    If you do, you can suggest to go get a bite to eat or go for a drink, if you don't click, you can politely end the date after you are done with your coffee.

I always used to take my dates to the same coffee place, and I had many dates. Eventuelly I was starting to worry that some server would say something "oh hi, nice seeing you AGAIN *wink*"
    Gladly, before that happened, I met my boyfriend lol

• coffee. more my style.

• I love chill coffee dates. <3
    I like everything which involves a quiet place. :")
    Plus, I'm a coffee person. :p

• Drink ! It's more relaxing and I'm a creature of the night... or afternoon. Wouldn't feel comfortable on a date driniking coffee in plain day light. hahahaha it's like an interview ! It creeps me out!
    Bars have more of a fun, relaxing atmosphere. You enter a bar or pub and You're already having a great time, no worries just chill.

• I'd rather get a cup of coffee, since I don't drink. And I think it's better to meet someone during the day.

• Coffee - I don't want to risk being tipsy around someone I don't actually know at all.

• I don't drink, so coffee.

• Cup of coffee. I like the energy that's given off during the day.

• I'd prefer coffee to talk and get to know someone better. And the bar scene isn't really me. I don't drink lol

• I'd rather go on a coffee date.

• I'd stick with the morning coffee.
    Night time + Stranger + Alcohol= HELL NO.
    I guess I don't trust people that much.

• I always invite guys I'm interested in out for coffee
    Also I don't drink in general

• It's easier to have an exit strategy when you go for coffee. "Oh, sorry, I'm going to be late for my doctor's appointment," doesn't really work at 10 pm.

• you can always use i have to be up early.. thats my exit strategy at night haha

• I'm not really comfortable in bars so I try to avoid that wherever possible. I've tried that excuse before, but it doesn't always work. "So do I. You can stay because I'm going to." No, dude, I think you're crazy and I want to leave.

• I don't drink, and having coffee seems like a really nice moment to have a talk. So kahvi,, please.

• i think coffee is a good place to start. especially if you don't want to sleep with them. if i'm tryna date someone i don't wanna sleep with them on the first date so please don't put any alcohol in me for our first date! lol

• I'm fine with either one, no preference. Not somewhere really loud, though. We should be able to hear each other and speak without shouting.

• Hmm. Jittery, nervous, and hyper, or loose-lipped and impaired?
    No thanks, I'll have a coke later in the evening when I'm fully awake and relaxed.

• I voted B but only because I don't care for coffee. I love tea though!!

• Drinks at a bar because I don't like coffee that much.

• A drink at the bar. It's easier to flirt or to have reasons to flirt/touch. Plus, alcohol makes me bolder.

• Coffee because I don't drink alcohol

• Coffee cause I don't drink

• Neither, lol.
    Maybe get some group or a snack and walk around somewhere.

• Tea, please. The drink might feel like a booty call...

• More from Girls
    8