If you were/are a non-smoker, would you date a smoker?

If you do not smoke and are willing to date one, what are some strategies to make them quit (which I am aware is usually a delicate situation, but you have to admit that cigarettes are so bad for you)?

Most Helpful Guy

• I know plenty of gfs who successfully made their bfs quit or at least try and cut down. Its just the usual wailing and other baby stuff (lol) like saying please stahp! For miiii...
    Its just the tought that counts.
    Just having someone that loves you and doesn't eant to see you hurt can do it for many men. Not me though.
    I. Had to quit myself.

Most Helpful Girl

• My first two bfs were smokers. The first started smoking in the relationship, I met the 2nd as a smoker. I will say that now I won't date a guy who smokes. I never smoked a thing in my life, as I did not want to put myself at risk. After a while your boyfriend gets comfortable and may ask to smoke around you, even if he doesn't I just despise the smokers breath and the scent on his clothes. So No.

What Guys Said 19

• I absolutely would not date a smoker. I could not stand the thought of having to kiss someone who smelled like an ashtray.

• Yes, but it may not work in the end between us, since a smokers lungs wouldn't be capable of doing certain things.

• Smoking tobacco is one of the most disgusting things ever

• I quit smoking 3 months ago. Second hardest thing I've ever done. The first week is utter hell. Worth it though, I feel so much better now.

• I think I forgot to answer the question lol

No, I would not date a smoker. It stinks so badly haha

• You can cut their cigareeta in half, shorter and shorter. I wouldn't want to date one, it's gross

• If I knew them before hand and really loved them, then yeas, and I do my best to stop them smoking.
    I wouldn't try and get to know someone or date someone who smoke thi

• No. Its an absolute dealbreaker

• If it's weed they smoke then sure but I hate cigarettes with a passion. I wouldn't ever date a cigarette smoker.

• Never.

• it's pretty much a deal breaker. I'd have to be really into her to overlook that.

• nope. donĀ“t feel like licking out the ash-tray that is her mouth.

• I don't mind

• im dating a smoker and i dont have a problem with it. there are times when i will just hate the smell of it but mostly i dont mind it. i used to be a smoker and will have only one when im with her

• sure, why not

• Yes.

• no i won't

• Nope

• It'd be difficult that's for sure!
    One, everytime we kiss you'd get that disgusting taste of cigarettes in my mouth, even if you had a breath mint, you wouldn't be able to disguise the taste.
    Two, it's hard to respect someone that doesn't respect themselves, specifically their body. Yes I know it's your body, your choice blah blah blah, but really, you're killing yourself.
    Why would I waste my time with you...

• No, smoking is one of those habits that turns me off completely with women

What Girls Said 16

• i'm a non smoker and currently dating a smoker. i don't really have a problem with it at all because he is very considerate about it, like he doesn't smoke around me if he can avoid it and makes sure smoke never goes in my face.

but obviously i'd rather he stop because it's better for his health

• I'm a non-smoker and my boyfriend smokes. I don't try to make him quit or anything because I know it's up to him if he wants to stop or not. He'll quit if or when he wants to. He rarely smokes around me so it's not an issue or anything.

• I'm a non-smoker, and a guy smoking is a dealbreaker for me

• I don't smoke and I have dated a smoker, did not enjoy it. Would not do again. He always used this cologne I LOVED but I could always smell the cigarettes and weed underneath, and his mouth always tasted gross.

• I would not. I would rather be able to breathe and not have to worry about second hand smoke.

• I just couldn't... Sure some guys look hot or cool smoking but I can't deal. Anytime I'm besides someone smoking I have to hold my breath I just hate that smell. Also who wants to that bad taste in their mouth or get cancer?

I'll pass 😒

• I couldn't date somebody who is an avid smoker, no.

I've dated guys who would have one on the rare occasion.

But that's about it, besides I'm a non-smoker woman myself.

• yes they are bad for you, but i tried to get my mom to quit smoking and drinking alcohol. it did not work. you cannot help someone to quit an addiction. they can only help themselves. i had to revisit this lesson just recently when i found out my roommate has a gambling problem.

• i dont judge anyone for it. my best friend is a regular smoker. it doesn't bother me being around her when she smokes but i would never touch one

• I could never date a smoker ewww 😖

• No. I used to smoke but don't anymore and I want the same in return.

• No. I hate the smell and I avoid smokers.

• I don't mind

• Yes I would if I really loved him but I would try and make him cut down or maybe quit

• No Never.

• obviously need to "get a life"

• @laurak1 You are of course possibly quite right.
      However fortunately my fiance is a non smoker, so I really don't have any worries.

• Yes.
    I wouldn't force them to quit. That's their own choice to make.