How do I get out of this event?

It's a wedding rehearsal for my bf's best friends wedding. I know, sounds not too bad right? But apparently we're playing volleyball afterwards and I'm absolutely dreading it.

I'm 5'2" and completely inept at playing sports. My hand eye coordination is terrible. Not only that but I'm self conscious about the cellulite on my legs. I'd rather not wear a beachy outfit that shows my flaws.

I don't want to look like an idiot in front of my boyfriend and his friends. On top of that, I just hate volleyball, just doesn't sound fun to me. I'd rather avoid it. How do I get out of it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Just tell them that you are not a fan of volleyball... well, because it's true, right? You would rather watch from the sidelines.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you're making this horror scenario for nothing.
    - it doesn't matter if you're good at the sport or not since you're just with friends and they will suck as well. It's not like they'll laugh at you or make fun of you for being bad at it. They might even help you.
    - maybe you should get more comfortable with your body and this is actually a good opportunity. Ask your boyfriend for your outfit and by the fun you won't even be insecure about your flaws.
    - you'll never look like an idiot. Just don't take it too seriously, be spontaneous and have fun. It will be impossible to look stupid.

What Guys Said 3

• What about saying you'll come for the rehearsal but you're not interested in playing volleyball, you'll just watch or whatever. Most people would be fine with that I would think? Don't have to give a reason other than you're simply not interested.

• Say you're on the blob.

• Bahaha just tell em u a nerd

What Girls Said 5

• You could say you didn't want to be in the sun for a long time (many medications, conditions, or simply your skin cause burning and blisters so it's a legit reason).

However, I would take this opportunity to become more comfortable with my body. I'd ask your boyfriend what he thought looked good on you (this will help you with your own body image by having him help pick out what you'll wear) and go and have fun! I had a horrible time accepting my body (I have huge thunder thighs and stretch marks everywhere and acne on my back/chest/face) but with the support of my boyfriend (now husband) I was able to wade through all of that and feel pretty.

• Well first of all, know that it just sounds like it's all in fun, so no worries about poor performance.

That said, boy do I ever get where you're coming from! You don't HAVE to play, just go sit on the sidelines and cheer. I bet there will be others not playing as well. The important thing is being with your boyfriend.

• Wow really?

• Are you in the wedding? if so, you have to go to the reversal but just politely decline the volleyball or make plans elsewhere.

• I'm not IN the wedding. I'm my bf's date. He is one of the groomsmen.

• I don't know what it is. I've never been to a wedding rehearsal. I don't think I have to go. My boyfriend didn't ask he just assumed I was going. I never had the option.

• Maybe you go but don't bring clothes to play volleyball in and just blame it on that.

• volleyball is so much fun!! dont worry about it!! maybe ask your boyfriend to bump the ball with you before hand to get a little bit of practice. nobody is good at something their first try and im sure he's not expecting you to be a pro at it