So gag users , what is your opinion of online dating? Why would/ wouldn't you online date?

I'm just curious about this because it seems as if the more advanced technology becomes the more people begin online dating. So what are your thoughts on it do you think it is a desperate attempt at love for those who can't get a girlfriend/boyfriend/other in real life? Is it a good thing or a bad thing. is it because you just like the look of a person or they seem to have the same values and beliefs where no one else does? What are your views?

• sad and desperate
  • good thing / learn about different cultures
  • bad thing / anti-social and ineffective (wouldn't online date )
  • only because of similar views and beliefs
  • shyness towards your preferred gender
  • problem with commitment in a real life relationship
  • other ( please explain in comments )
Just to clarify this I am ONLY asking out of curiosity I don't want to online date I just want to know what other people think about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't online date, because I'm not in the top 10% of guys. They're the only ones who will really get any bites. The ugly girls probably get left out, too, though they're a smaller percentage than the males. Naturally, women are going to look for the absolute best they can find; whereas, men have less requirements, so they will cast a wider net.

The good thing about online dating is that it's easier to bare your soul to the other person and become close very quickly. The downside to that is that it tends to burn out just as quickly. Though, my best friend's older brother got married to a chick he met online. But, the only way it worked was them closing the distance. They met each other IRL, which is why it worked. You can't form a serious relationship solely online. It just won't work. For purely online relationships.

Another good thing about online dating is it's a lot easier to match with someone who is the most similar to you. IRL, it's just random. You might find a couple similarities, but it's hard to find someone who is especially compatible. So, online dating like e-Harmony is good, because it can match you with a lot better match than you would probably find IRL.

So. Basically, pure online dating isn't a good way to go. The only way online dating will work is if the two meet up in person. There are advantages to looking online, depending on where you're looking. Probably more advantages than IRL, actually.

I wouldn't say it's only for people who can't find people IRL. Like I said, you can find a better match online.

I would say it's a good way to stroke your ego, just for a bit. Watch how many hits you get, if nothing else.

I kinda view this like the argument between books and ebooks. It's really an upgrade, no matter how much people love libraries and the smell of paper books. *When* you're talking about online dating as a *matchmaking* thing, and not just *solely* an online relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• as amazing as people online can be... I'm a very passionate and expressive person. i love hearing him, seeing him, holding him. i wanna go to dinner with him, and laugh with him, and go to the beach with him... i dont know if i could survive not having that. i also think it's a bit more realistic to meet someone from my own country and maybe my culture.

that's the thing i hate about being online though. the person could just be amazing... but the distance among other things does get in the way.

• Yes unfortunately there is always that possibility of finding your perfect partner over a few borders / States and there is always the possibility that the person you are dating online is dishonest about themselves.

What Guys Said 31

• I haven't' dated much, but I do prefer online dating because I have a very specific requirement. I prefer women who are vegetarians of vegans. I can't approach women in person and then show disinterest when I learn that they eat meat. Online dating makes it easier for people like me, since I can specify in my profile that I am seeking vegetarian/vegan women, and can match up with like-minded ones. It reduces my dating pool significantly, but at least I can be sure that I don't put in efforts to woo someone, only to realise later that I can't be with her due to her dietary habits.

P. S. I personally don't have anything against meat-eaters, but I wouldn't want one as my SO.

• Yeah online dating is a good way to see if you match up with someone and I can see from your perspective of how important it is to have someone with the same dietary habits in steriotypical relationships it is mostly the woman that cooks.

• Well good for you 😊 and goodluck for when you do start looking for your other half.

• Thanks a lot!

• i met my wife online dating so i'm a big proponent of it

i started trying it when i was about 26. i felt like i was exhausting opportunities meeting girls in the more traditional ways OR the girl i was meeting when i went out were really vapid or only interested in casual relationships. so i figured i'd just try online dating in addition to the normal ways to meet women just to widen the field

• i really liked that you knew exactly what each person was looking for for the most part

• Thank you for the compliment I tried to include the most common reasons people generally use for online dating and not wanting to online date.

• i definitely had my doubts about online dating... like most. it wasn't always great. definitely went on some duds of dates. definitely was frustrated by the process at times. but when i went on my first date with my (now) wife, it was like what you'd see in movies. so i am a big proponent of it. not that you can't find great people without online dating (most of my friends met their partners in more traditional ways) but i always tell people not to write off online dating

• Just to clarify (because I see this often on here) online dating is meeting people through a website like POF or OKC with the intention of dating them IN PERSON. It is not your online bf/gf who you play WoW with.

I think online dating is great, because it puts you in contact with people you might not otherwise encounter in your everyday life, and who you know for certain are interested in some kind of relationship. If you live in a big city, there are thousands of people out there you'll never meet because they don't live in your neighbourhood, or they aren't into trawling bars and clubs.

I had a lot of good experiences from online dating (and bad, but that comes with the territory) and met some very cool people. I would recommend it.

• Its just another way to meet people and date. It is many of the options above... when browsing, choose by photo, but also read profile to determine fit.

I would onlien date as another option to find
    I wouldn't online date if you can't handle the rejection, stress, flakeouts, and difficulty communicating/writing profile. It takes a lot of energy.

• Yes online dating does take a lot of energy and it can be stressful especially since you can never be sure if someone is lying about their profile and/ or their interests. it is still globally recognised as a great way to meet people and there is another problem... long distance. you are right there is no one reason for why people choose to online date or not.

• funny enough my best online dates have occurred over the further distances... local doesn't work so well.. don't know why...

thank you, good question.

• It is a bit strange. And I'm quite happy I asked it I've gotten to see multiple different views on the topic from all different age groups.

• Most are usually Long Distance and hereby not worth it... and if closer, why restrict it to online only?

• I use tinder casually but I've had more luck at parties and bars. You're under 18 so that might not be an option for you. Online dating works for some and doesn't for others.

I don't see online dating as a desperate attempt, sometimes people just don't have the time to go out and meet people. You'll get a lot of messages online that wouldn't happen in person though. People aren't face to face so they don't have shame in saying some things.

It's 50/50 there's not right answer whether online dating is good or not.

• As I said in the question i just asked it out of curiosity of other people's opinions I have online dated before and I didn't like it. I wanted to give more options for answers but I reached the limit which is why I included the option 'other' . Saying some things and sending some things. Over all great answer thank you very much for your opinion.

• The only online dating I consider viable is something that can turn to a face-to-face interaction within a couple days. Like Tinder, thats it. I don't user Tinder anymore but ya that's it.

• I think quite a few people will agree with you it's the same as meeting someone briefly and then phoning them to set up a date a few days later. You don't really know the person on tinder same as you don't know the beautiful stranger. you just take your chances and find out if you are compatable with them.

• I've been doing it for years, before I met my ex fiance and after. In the 3 years after I've gone out with close to 120 women, not a single one of them was even remotely interested besides the one girl I slept with. However I moved away from her and she invited me to move in with her after I had already gone 120 miles. I probably still have a chance with her when her next relationship ends, but I don't know if I'll pursue it. We're both extreme high IQ people and I've found it extremely difficult to meet anyone I can actually have a conversation with on those sites.

So the odds of meeting someone interesting for me have been 1/120 over 5 years of use. You make the judgement if it's a valid use of your time or not.

• I had long made a judgement that for me it is a waste of my time I tried it once ( just out of curiosity ) and it was unssucssesful. if you meet someone in real life then you get to know the real person and not the perfect character that they may have created ( in your case people would probably google search the conversation so that they would appear to have a high intellect) in order to make it seem as if they are a good match for you .

• Online dating is a good thing, nothing wrong with using another source to expand your dating options.

However, meeting people in person should ALWAYS be the primary option. Too many people put too much focus on online dating!

• Take time to write your profile, put in the effort to write about yourself and to put up face and body pics that show off how you look like.

After the profile is written, check it occasionally when you have down time for messages and likes, preferably at night when you're home. Because otherwise u should be meeting people in real life! ;-)

• Thank you for the advice but I don't need it I'm not at all interested in online dating as it says in the question i am merely curious to find out other people's opinions. ( note if you read through these other replys I did put this one in the wrong place originaly so it is not lazy typing )

• Sorry again I'm behaving a bit like the stereotype of my hair colour I thought you were two different people so just ignore some of the replys

• nothing of what you said. i actually tried it but i wouldn´t anymore for reasons within those dating sites. those are as following:

1. all girls on online dating platforms are fake (except some fat, ugly ones with kids)
    2. it´s always pay for men, free for women
    3. the very few good looking women that are actually not fake are immediately scared away by unsolicited dick picks and hookup requests.

this is why online dating is shit.

• Thank you for your opinion , and I ran out of space to add answers in the pole so I added the 'other' answer. I would like to note that some girls actually make fake personas and mess around on online date sites for fun because they don't take it seriously. I agree with all your reasons above and I can vouch for number 3 .

• I met several wonderful women through online dating. They seemed to think I was ok too. One relationship lasted five years. The other is going on nine. We got married.

• Awesome hope you have a great marriage and thank you for your opinion

• Would/have, because once you are out of school it can be really, really difficult to meet people. If you are still in HS/college you have NO CLUE what it is like in the real world.

Where I work it is 85% male, most of the women are married, and the area itself is kind of a suburb so most single F are either elderly or kids.

• I can understand that because once the educational phase of life is over people branch out and move away from where they grew up and those looking to date have to search harder and In various places (park , grocery store , cafe...) to find someone that they are compatable with.

• No sheesh online dating is not what I meant at all I should have clarified to stay in contact with a beautiful stranger you actually met and exchanged a few words with there is the cellphone.

• Oh OK I thought you were talking about things like Tinder, which is basically online dating with a phone. Only shallower.

• 1|0
  • I try to use it because of similar views and beliefs. It makes more sense to have some information to go on and be able to pick from a large amount of people at once to try talking to so you can be with someone you actually are compatible with. It doesn't work very well though. I have better luck talking to random people in person... unfortuantely the random people I meet in person are not very interesting.

• That being said it does not work very well...

• I think those guys are making it impossible for the nice guys but even the people I thought were nice got confident and sent nudes.

• Jesus christ.

• Because

(a) hardly anyone responds so what's the point
    (b) prefer to take the initiative in real life

• Yeah people do tend to neglect online dating because at the end of the day there is no face to face contact and the slimist of chances that you might ever actually see the person one day. In my opinion real life is better like you say because you can actually get to know the person (both the good and the bad ) and not their chosen persona.

• I'd do it if it were worth the opportunity cost. I'd love to meet great fun intelligent women online. But it's not worth my time to send out 20 detailed messages, just to 3 responses back and maybe 1 of them resulting in a phone number if I'm lucky. and then a 70% chance that she flakes once she has my number.

• It just seems like a lot of people are constantly on the Internet. So it makes it easier to find them online. Not only that, but it also makes it easier to connect with others in different locations whether it be far away or nearby

• Yes well with the increasing popularity of online social interaction and technology. Everyone who has access to the internet and some or other social media is online. So it makes sense that they would be so many online relationships.

• It's not for everyone, but I have liked someone in gag before and I wouldn't mind actually trying it now that I'm single.

• Yes not everyone can online date some people only think of dating as when you are face to face and I'm teaching distance of the person. Good luck to you then.

• Scrap that last reply I made too many typos there. Yes not everyone feels comfortable online dating some people only define a date as when you are with a person face to face and in reaching distance of the person. Good luck with it then.

• No worries and same to you

• never tried it

• I tried it and got nowhere.

Checking felt like a waste of time after a while.

• Online and in person meetings are different

• I support it.

• For me its so much easier meeting people in person.

• French kissing is impossible in online dating, so I can't handle the drama.

• For me i'm from Turkey (not that perverted ones...) I don't date online in my country because why? There is girls out there and i just can go and say hi. But here there are so many different culture, people. So if i had a chance i would do it.

• Howzit from South Africa. I think the direct approach is the best approach when people go looking for a long term relationship. It is so much easier to get to know the real person if you are face to face but again like everything in life you have to experience it first.

• Yes I also don't really favour online dating. Travel could be a good option although relationships in foreign countries are stereotypically just romantic flings

• Yeah, i totally agree with you.

• I'm too busy with my own goals to worry about dating right now. A relationship will slow me down.

• Goodluck with your goals then.

• CUZ THEY THE DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• I picked the option 'sad and desperate' not because i think that of people who use it, but because i answered the question "Why would you online date?"
    Because I am those things.

• That would be me when i tried to online date and then i got sick of all the dirty pictures i recieved and decided i can do without it.

• For guys it's good if you are a 9 or 10. Otherwise for men Its horrible.

Girls standards are very high, they are very picky when it comes to online dating.

They get 100s of messages and likes in a matter of mins, but the boy who they actually want will not message them back.

A lot of girls have no intention of dating, they are just looking for attention, validation, maybe a sext buddy...

----

Men, will message 100s of girls and get a handful of responses back, maybe if he is lucky a date or two...

• Funny , I thought it was the same for girls.

• No because guys will rather message the average looking girls, not the 9/10s because we are insecure and think everyone is messaging them.

We think we have a better chance with an average girl, and their personality is better... most guys find average girls very attractive as well.

• Women on online dating are either desperate unattractive women "looking for mr right" or party girls past their prime who have realized they are losing thier looks and therefore their time to trap a male before they become desperate spinsters.

Males on these sites are either desperate losers who can't find women willing to date them in the real world or are snakes using desperation as a ploy to trick nieve and desperate women into sex.

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 16

• Dating sites are simply there to facilitate communication between people with supposedly common goals, however you have the same amount of chance at meeting someone on the street and having a successful relationship with them, as you do talking to someone on a dating site. people misuse them, lie, manipulate, and there's no way to control for what purpose people use the sites, but they do simply make it easier to find like-minded people and put you in contact with a wider variety of potential partners.

• i met my future husband online, so i definitely support it as well.

i was 27 when a friend suggested i try online dating for the first time. i was working 60 hours/week and didn't have time to go out and meet people.

the internet gives us a wider pool of potential partners to choose from, and some sites have features that can help find more compatible matches (okcupid has optional questions you can answer and, while some of them are super-personal, they really do help to determine compatibility with someone).

• I don't think it's any of these, especially sad or desperate. Some people are just busy with their lives and don't get out very often and when they do go out perhaps it's to places that don't have people they've wanted to date etc etc.
    My SO and I met online. We live 2.5 hours away, I am at Uni full time and on weekends I'd rather have coffee with my friend and study and he worked 6 days and on the 7th he'd go motorbike riding (so not many people).

We would NEVER have met otherwise, there was no chance of us running into each other. And here we are months later, see each other every weekend, I go with him motorbike riding and study while he rides etc. And we're very happy.

• I would also add that when you meet face to face you spend time getting to know each other etc. Whereas online I can make it clear "no smokers" for example or "no people with kids" and that way you won't waste your time on people, getting to know them only to realise you two won't work. (May not be the best examples but hopefully you get my point).

• That is also something great about online dating which is why I just asked for people's opinions on online dating. Saving time to see if you match up with someone, I suppose is something good about it , but by the same token not all people are honest online.

• Oh I wasn't offended, I suppose some people can be quite rude about it but you were just generally asking, I just think you left out a few good options too.
      And thank you. And yes you're right not all people are honest online, but a lot of people aren't honest face to face either, the only thing you can lie about online and not face to face is your picture and the moment you meet them you'd see that was a lie anyway.

• I'm fine with online dating. I've done it. So far, it's 2 years and counting. There are some struggles with it, such as trust and knowing when they lie, but I think we have sorted that out.
    It wasn't my intention to date him at all. Before it, I didn't know people dated long-distance. I just wanted to talk to someone one night, and I met him, which turned into HUNDREDS of nights of just texting. It really helped me out, and I wouldn't mind continuing to do it (so long as we DO eventually meet).

• I need to get my life ready for mr. wonderful!

• I don't judge people who do it but I personally wouldn't resort to that.
    I need that "sparks at first sight"-moment that you can only have in real life in order to be really interested in someone in the first place.

• I don't want to do online dating because when I observed myself, I realized that for me it would never be as real as being with someone in person.

I need to see how they behave, how they are in person. I need to hear their actual voice.

Online.. for all I know it's fake. I don't mean intentionally being fake.
    But it's not always accurate.

• not my style at all. i chose "good thing/ learn about different cultures" bc thats what im on gag for, not in the online dating sense tho. i'd rather be able to look into my bf's eyes, preferably not through video chat :P

• Online dating? Nahh that's not for me.
    I am sceptic about long distance things and online dating is mostly long distance.

• It's just another Avenue for meeting new potential partners. Nothing good or bad about it.

• Yes I see your point but as it says in the question I was just curious to find out people's views on the topic of online dating and I used the most common reasons to be for it or against it.

• Bad idea because people can get conned or tricked and then there are issues of time differences.

• Are you talking about people having LDRs with people they met online, or people who meet dates in their area using dating websites?

• Both you can meet someone online first and then date them in real life or the partners later meet in person and leading up to that they just online date. People have to meet their online date eventually right?

• Those are very different things.

• Yes I suppose they are. Could you answer both then?

• Tried it and the guys are creepy or just want some sex

• Online dating rarely works for me as most people think my pics and profile are fake.

• I'd do it only as a last resort because who knows when you'll meet someone. Like I met an amazing guy like it was destiny, we were so perfect for eachother, saw each other everyday, we were so similar, attraction was there. I could sense he really liked me but something was holding him back. he ended up having a long distance girlfriend that he met online. he said online dating was his last resort because he could never get dates in real life. but there I was, fawning over him pretty much every day! but it was too late and he's already committed to her. if only he didn't give up so soon. :/

• I've tried it before but didn't get great results. I met my boyfriend in real life

• I also tried it once I didn't like it all that much but I still won't judge anyone who does online date. Have a great life.