What is the difference between "hanging out" and "dating"?

Most Helpful Guy

• hanging seems to me to mean more of just hooking up or even just being friends and hanging out
    whereas dating means to me to be more about relationship development

Most Helpful Girl

• hanging out is our generations way of asking you on a date. lol guys my age will say we should "hang out" this weekend. They dont usually have the confidence to ask you on a date

older guys will make it more clear by asking "can i take you out friday"

What Guys Said 11

• "who is paying?"... lol
    ok seriously, its a real slim thing but hanging out is usually mutually, while a date is usually with invitation. if thats not good enough, the venue can also tell a lot...

• Hanging out is just casual, doing something together on a whim without planning or anticipation for it. It's also a way for pussy guys to downplay things in their mind to avoid calling it a date lol

• To me the difference is sex. If you're just vaguely flirting with each other, you're hanging out. If you've fucked, you're dating.

• Intent.

• "Hanging out" is usually platonic and during the day, possibly with other people tagging along.

"Dating" is a fun NIGHT activity which usually leads to sex and is definitely romantic.

• Hanging out is when a guy not sure if he wants to date or be romantic with a girl. Or is trying to get a feel for how the feels about him.

• I hang out platonically with friends. Dating is more intimate.

• Jack shit.

• Pretty much dating might imply physical intimacy while hanging out is just doing shit.

• for me there the same , but some times I plan a date so its more the just hanging out and if I'm hanging with someone I'm not interested in the vibe is whats different

• Umm hanging out is just a friend zoned kinda thing that could mean people like each other's company while dating is they want a romantic relationship..

What Girls Said 11

• Hanging out and dating could be deemed the same thing. I would say hanging out though is when you literally hang out with no intended plans to date each other and dating is when you go out on dates, in the hopes of something more developing.

• Hanging out is friendly/platonic.
    Dating is usually more romantic.

*In dating, it's traditional for the guy to pay for things, haha.* Lol, as one person pointed out, "Who's paying?"

• Hanging out is just spending time with a friend that include various activities that don'the lead up to any romantic activity. Just pure fun.

Now there is the "hang out" some guys use to trick a girl into a date. It's a way to save face in case the date (a. k. a. hang out) doesn't work out. I really don't like when guys do that.

• Hanging out doesn't include the flirty behavior. Also nothing romantic. Hanging out is purely platonic.

• Hanging out is casually going out with friends and dating is going out with a purpose in mind and talking about a future together.

• You hang out with friends. You date someone you are romantically interested in.

• One gets a cuddle and a kiss

• Hanging out can be just friends, whereas dating is with a love interest.

• I'd like to think hanging out is without sex and intimatcy. Dating I think has a commitment to it

• You can hang out with anyone but you date only people you have taken a romantic interest in.

• The intention is different
    Date is for love
    Hang out is for just fun