Do you think region/location can affect your dating life?

This would be a great question to ask for people who have lived in multiple locations.

We always see posts about people who can't meet the right person, or have trouble finding someone to date. Do you think this could be due to location for some people?

For instance, a guy who lives in a small, rural location can't find a girlfriend because he has a more modern mindset, where the girls there like "old-fashioned guys", or a city girl might have trouble dating because the guys there are less educated than her, etc, and so on.

Basically-Do you think with a straight thought "If I lived somewhere else, my dating life would be fine"? Or is this a myth, and it doesn't matter?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, a lot. I don't live near any good guys. As soon as I get my teaching license renewed this next year, I'm moving. If it can be helped, this will be my last year in this city, even if I can't find another teaching job for the next year.

Most Helpful Guy

• YES. I've lived in a few different states and there are some clear, noticeable differences in dating in each of them. Nothing major tho necessarily.

• If an adult in his 20's thinks location is the only reason why he hasn't had a girlfriend, do you think that's legit?

• I grew up in rural midwest, trust me, bigger cities are better. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better lol.

What Girls Said 12

• DEFINITELY. 100%.
    Where I live most guys are quite meh looking, not exotic or unique enough. Aside from looks, they also tend to be close-minded, reserved, shy. That's not my type. I guess that's why I always happen to fall for men who live on the other side of the planet lol.

• I've only lived in Chicago. And I sometimes wonder how so many people here have trouble dating or finding even a mediocre date or someone willing to date them.

I am by no standards a "catch" and even I can get a date. So it's like, what's up with these people? Lol but then again, I live in Chicago where there are people everywhere.

• Right, and I live in a small town, and even by going to Indianapolis (the closest city) I can't find anyone.

• I think about this all the time!

I live in Chicago.. There are millions of people that live here but every single guy I've ever dated has been long distance. I happen to find more guys that have a good heart and good character the farther I go from the city. It really hurts to think about the men that live here aren't as sweet or as kind as someone from Austin or Denver. Those are cities too but there's a different mindset. I really do believe that if I lived somewhere else, I'd find someone I could really love. I'm a city girl who has a country heart so the men I'm most attracted to are the guys that hike and have beards and prefer jeans over ties and are just MEN, in that they take pride in helping take care of things. Here in the city, it just feels like these guys are more concerned about their looks and who they're with than having a genuine connection. The problem is, I do really love Chicago and my family is here but I know the men that I'm most compatible with don't live here. So yes, I don't think this is a myth! :)

• Heck. Yes. In the last city I lived in, it was so different.

• It obviously matters... If someone lived in the middle of nowhere they would have a harder time meeting people when compared with someone who lives in thdmiffls of the action.

• I'm not solely talking about the number of people, I'm talking about quality of people as well.

• Yes, I'm not allowed to date because of my religious faith but I said fuck that a few years ago and now I do. Still haven't told my parents yet.

• No it doesn't matter

• Have you lived in multiple locations?

• Yes I hv... as mt dad had a lot of transfers due to his civil job... so our family had to switch to other cities I n every 2 or 3 years

• Interesting question! I think not only the location matters, but also where you study, work, etc.

• No assholes live everywhere

• YESSS! i live my life that way!!
    Im galf french half egyptian and I have lived in both countries. Dating is just a big taboo in Egypt, whereas off limits in France. I'd like something in the middle lol

• My boyfriend who i talk to a lot lives no where near me, hopefully we will get to see each other soon. I really love him and have not met him in person yet but he's sent me some sexy voice messages etc :) i met him on fb in 2010 but now we seem soo much closer with the years gone by and only recently he said i am your boyfriend to me 😌

• A little...

I'm from redneckville but don't fit in and most of the cool guys have ended up moving to Colorado or somewhere like that. I don't want to leave my family.

BUuuuuut, there are still viable options. Just a smaller pool of them.

What Guys Said 12

• Absolutely. In school and for two years later, I lived in a city. Lots of chances to meet people, more people my age. Due to loans, I had to move back home until I can work my way at my job... I am one year in out of two and I have not been on a single date once. This is not because I live at home though, I have simply not met one girl I even want to ask out... There is no 20 something year olds in suburbia... It's all teens or families. Plus, there only 3 bars and they are all more for lonely older people...

• Definitely, not only the type but the sheer number of people.

I'll admit i find it impossible when guys on here say women don't look at them or they literally cannot find anyone, then i realise i'm living in a diverse multicultural city of 13m people. Where i lived out in the British countryside, it was pretty much only middle class white girls so my dating preference was born from that, since they were the only ones i'd ever dated until i was 18.

- When i lived in Dubai for a while i didn't even make any friends amongst the locals nevermind dating one of them, religious and culture were too far apart and i wasn't staying long enough to fit in.
    - In Mumbai i had a great experience with the girls there, because i was different and i was only there for a month
    - In Hong Kong i didn't meet many girls outside of social circles because i'm not their type of Asian.

• Awesome! I love hearing these different points of view.

• Absolutely, where you live can affect your dating life.

• yeah it does affect me quite a lot

• Ofcourse, Absolutely dude.

• Have you lived in multiple locations?

• I've lived in a populated 'small city', And I've lived in the backwards ends of fucking nowhere, Haha, Though, Take my opinion with a pinch of salt, As I've never really dated, I have just noticed what you are saying is true.

I generally find girls in higher populated areas are a bit more... Well, Their expectations are a lot highger, There are a lot more guys to 'choose from' so their standards go up, Whereas girls in the middle of fucking nowhere, They dont have as much choice if you will, So they settle on things.

Though as i said, Thats just what i have noticed, Dont take my word for it bud.

• Of course it matters: mindset and educational levels differ and since dating is mostly a numbers game to begin with population density is crucial.

• Of course location can affect your dating life. If you are in outer space you're not gonna be meeting lots of people. lol

• I'm in southern CA.. that just means I get to bang all the hot chicks.

• Relgion yes it can affect but location NOPE

• Yes.

• Yes. The male female ratio is much less uniform by region than you might realize. Even a slight difference in the ratio has a big impact because a small overall difference can result in a bigger difference among actualy single people. And then the smaller group reacts by being even pickier.

• Of course.