He has a girlfriend but says he'll always be in love with me?

Me and this guy ( John ) have known each other for 4 years, we had a bit of a thing a while ago but it just fizzled out. We have always stayed friends and have been really close. Last Christmas we got really close and I liked him but I knew he was speaking to someone else so I thought I didn't have a chance. I told him that we should stop speaking because I really thought the feelings just hurt too much. Anyway, soon after he started going out with the girl he was speaking to before and I only heard bits and bats from him. They've been going out for 6 months now but earlier this week we started speaking again and got talking about our past relationship. He revealed how much he liked me and how much he will always like me, saying he's been in love with me for the past 4 years. I told him I'd liked him at the same time and he kept saying how much he regretted not saying anything and how he would drop everything for me. He's asking me what to do as he has feelings for me and his girlfriend can tell he's being strange.

I honestly don't know what to do because I love him too but surely if he loved me as much as he says, he would have told me then or wouldn't even question staying with his girlfriend? I also don't want to ruin their relationship or be a rebound.

What Guys Said 1

• "if he loved me as much as he says, he would have told me then or wouldn't even question staying with his girlfriend? I also don't want to ruin their relationship or be a rebound."

And what did you do?

"I knew he was speaking to someone else so I thought I didn't have a chance."

Aka YOU didn't make a move or made it clear the feelings are mutual, he accepts that and tries to move on and your conclusion is that he doesn't love you as much as he says?

Dafuq, girl. You done goofed and he just respected you not showing that things are mutual.

What Girls Said 2

• It seems like you both like each other, which is a recipe for success! :) But I think you should think about his girlfriend, too. Her feelings will be hurt. Talk with him about the best way for him to break up with her so that you two can be together :P

• Leave him obviously.