I'm dating a guy 6 years older than me and my sister thinks the age difference is too much?

I'm 19 and my boyfriend is 25. He's the first boyfriend I've had that is more than a year older than me. He has been amazing and I love him. Unlike the guys I've dated in the past, he has his own car, apartment, and a job. He does little things like hold the car door open for me and pull out the seat in the restaurant. He'll walk me to my door at night too. He's taller than me and goes to the gym so he has a nice body, makes me feel protected.

Basically I feel like I'm dating a MAN rather than a boy for the first time in my life. But my sister thinks the age gap is too much? She says only borderline pedophiles date girls that young if they're 25? I've told her to f*** off but I'm curious if other people feel that way?

Most Helpful Guy

• I am in my upper 40's. My girlfriend just turned 21. The average age of women I date is 23, and that hasn't changed since I was 25.

Some young women prefer older men for several reasons: They pay for a date, they know what they are doing in bed (and are not selfish about it), they have experience to share and she can learn from, they can take their girlfriends on expensive vacations or to expensive restaurants without concern, etc.

I have noticed many young women, perhaps your sister, are intensely jealous of women who date older men because they chose someone younger, which usually goes along with being less financially capable. They don't like the idea that the women who date older men have access to a higher standard of living. It is a sexual competition thing, that an older man can outshine most any young boy, so it makes her feel like you have beaten her, even though she has restricted herself.

At some level she is jealous and her way of dealing with that is to try to make you feel bad about it.

Date whom you like. It is no one's business but yours.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 12

• That is no problem, tons of girls go for older guys like that. Tonnssss
    And wgaf about your sister's opinion if you feel he's right for you lol

• That's an OK age gap.

• I wouldn't care at all what your sister says or thinks. Sounds to me that he likes you, respects you and treats you very well. Sounds like he's good for you and to you. Pursue it and see where it goes. Good luck to you.

• She doesn't have a right to hassle you just point out your age and that your not a child anymore.

• When i was 21 i had a gd who was 29/30. nohing wrong with that yo. Tell your sister to go die. I've also been shamed for dating someone younger but also legal, i just ignore that stuff, gotta live your life.

• whatever makes you happy and safe is acceptable

• The age difference is fine.

• Absolutely nothing wrong w it at all. I'm. Not sure what to say about your sister, she has her opinion, she should keep it to herself. My girlfriend is 7 years older than me. I dated a girl who was the same age as you, I was 25. We actually got married some years later but it didn't work out like we thought it would. Sometimes being w someone older works out better, they're more mature, more stable, in your case that seems to be what's happening. I think you're fine, society sees you as being of age to consent to a number of things including a relationship to have sex w a man older than you. I think you're old enough to make decisions on your own.

• Tell you sister it takes a pedo to think like one. And then from there ignore her, the guy is your boyfriend and not hers.

• Lol your sis is stupid. Dont you ever notice most parents are between 2-6 years apart in age? 4 being the average? there's nothing wrong with what you're doing. BUT it is still quite an age gap, therefore you are both at different parts of life. I usually stay away from 18-19s coz they're still playing games at that age... Mind you, most girls I've met (from ages 18-32), have mostly acted like that.

• That's dumb, how is that a big difference? You're not 16 so how is that borderline oedophile? In another year or 2 you'll be able to go to the bars with him too

• Your sister is wrong. It doesn't make him a pedo and there's nothing wrong with that age gap. You're both adults and if it works then so be it

What Girls Said 8

• Those are only a few of the reasons on a very long list of things that are absolutely fantastic about older men. If he treats you right, just be grateful that you found such a great match. Cheers to your happiness!

• It's fine, and it isn't her business, unless its abusive. I don't consider 25 to be that old though. That's my age and the males my age are still twats looking to bone anything that wears a skirt, but I get you

• Nope, not that big of an age difference, in my opinion. It's not unusual at all too.

• I don't think it's that drastic

• I think that's fine coz my mom was 19 and my dad was 25 when they had me so yh I think that is a pretty reasonable age difference :)

• It's not weird or wrong

• It's still acceptable.

• What else do you like about him other than his money, car, apartment, any guy can be nice and open the door.

What do you have in common with him other than his desire for sex from a teenage girl?