How Effective is the No Contact Rule?

So everyone knows about this. The NO-CONTACT rule after being dumped.

I was wondering what girls think about this? I want to know honest opinions about it from girls who have either had it done to them, or know the effects.

I feel like in todays world, everyone knows what you are doing if you go no-contact, and im wondering if its still useful like all the websites proclaim it is.

Most Helpful Guy

• The main reason to go no-contact is to give yourself the opportunity to emotionally detach.

It -happens- to often be the best chance of getting them to change their mind, but that's ALWAYS a longshot at best. It's just that it has better odds than begging.

Go no-contact, for real. If they change their mind, great, but assume you'll never talk to them again.

What Girls Said 14

• At first, it's very effective. Most recent ex- I did it to him. Didn't hear from him about a month or two after. Then one text one week, a few the next, and then he flipped shit when I kept ignoring him.

It *really* made him miss me.

I have had it done to me after a break up as well. Admittedly, yeah, it was a little hard. After a few weeks; I was over it.

BE 100% sure that you're willing to take the chance of losing them forever if you do no contact.

They may well be like me and move on in your absence.

• This girl thinks she's hot...

Where do people get their ideas from...

• @CompleteStranger1234 - Nope. Nor in a lake, hottub, pool, bathtub, etc.
      That's why it's on my to do list.

• Pretty effective, in my opinion.
    After I broke up with my ex, I completely cut him out of my life. Deleted his number, deleted our text message conversations. Block/deleted him off of FB, unfollowed a few of our mutual friends on FB so that I wouldn't see him being frequently tagged in their posts.

Nobody knew I was going NC. Not that I knew of, at least. Unless there were individuals who were keeping an eye on my friend's list and realized that my number had gone down by one. So... not very likely.

• I know it sucks getting dumped but trust me on this - WALK AWAY. Not because you want to prove something to her, but because of you. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but getting dumped by her is probably the best damn thing that could happen to you. You will agree with me in some months. :) This happened because there is someone else waiting for you, someone amazing! Be the best version of yourself because you never know when the two of you will bumped to each other. ;)

• I think it's easier to get over someone if you have absolutely zero contact with them. It's not going to make them want to get back together with you, but I don't think that is ever a wise choice. With no contact, you both have time to heal separately before you do something stupid that you will regret later.

• It wrorks. It's been almost a month since I haven't spoken to my "ex" and the no contact rule worked perfectly because I'm totally over him now , I moved on for Good.

• Nah it's bullshit if someone stops talking with you then it's just over because you 2 aren't compatible that's how it is so just move on instead overthinking and googling what things could possibly mean.. If someone loves you for sure you will know that !

• Its horrible!

• Me = upfront serial dater = I do this to men I don't want to date anymore
    It causes extreme reactions & has been very dangerous for me... I won't lie.

The alternative of seeing people "I" no longer want to, are way worse though.

Like why tf should I even have to?

• It makes sense to me. After you breakup with someone, all contact is viewed as an annoyance. The emotions are still heightened. After time, if the dumper realizes he/she made a mistake, he/she will be doing to contacting. Hopefully you will have moved on by then. ;)

• Its really effective if you have strong will power to stick to it. The best thing to do after a break up is to pretend the other person never existed.

• oh lordie, here we go. A few months ago I got dumped (im now back with him) but at the time I was constantly trying to contact him. I may have come off as desperate, in which my boyfriend said i wasn't because he wanted to get back together too but with other people as well i continue to keep texting and calling the person after being dumped, especially if they didn't explain why they did it.

• Most relationships end for a reason, so walk away, move on and be happy. 😉

• I have never and could never go no contact. If I cared about someone, loved them, I'd still want them in my life... just not the same way so I'd work in trying to turn our old relationship into something else. I am friends with all of my ex's. Including my most serious ex... hell, he was at my wedding and I probably get together with and see him maybe 12-16 times a year depending on what's going on-lol. Once I'm in your corner, really in your corner... thats it. I am there for life. Going no contact would make me feel weak. Like I couldn't control myself around the person, and I'd worry about the person. I didn't even know this no contact thing was a thing but I am a bit older and haven't dated in a really long time-lol.

• It's valid. It also may take some time but it is an effective rule. The ex may be polite and respond but they really don't want to have anything to do with you. I had to delete mines off social media and erase their phone number so I wouldn't be tempted.

What Guys Said 8

• When u are dumped, u walk away... no matter if u wait for 1 month or 1 year, if u contact after being dumped... u still look weak and pathetic.
    If anything has to happen, let her contact u whether it takes months or years, u just walk away.

• its not useful at all because i have seen the guy and girl get back together for one night stands after breaking up. it like they had just met or something. i guess breaking up renews some kind of feeling you loose after your with someone after so long.

i think its odd

• I've always done it. There have been a few times where exes have gotten back in touch with me, I've spoken to them not meaning to ever get back with them, then did because the feelings hadn't gone away despite what cunts they'd been. Then they screwed me over again. After that I always completely cut them, and blocked them if they ever tried getting back in touch which they always did.

• 2/10, not enough squat sessions for maximum efficacy.

OP, do you get over an injury by doing nothing but focusing on that injury, no, you say "fuck that, I'm not a weak bitch" and get on with being your awesome self.

On the same vein though, does ignoring a problem ever fix it. Does smelling gas and thinking "it's probably boring" change the fact that you have a gas leak? No it doesn't.

Extremes never work out well (at least not for the most part), so swinging one way or anther isn't the best path to take.

• I don't understand it.. If you have moved on, you won't contact her anyway and if you haven't moved on, you still don't contact her.. What's the fucking difference?

• As effective as you make it.

• The no contact rule works great, especially when there's children. :D

• I've never wanted to talk to any of my ex's. no contact rule is fine with me.