Would you date a person you weren't physically attracted to?

Would you date someone who had a good heart and treated you well, but you aren't physically attracted to them? Like, nothing about them physically appealed to you in any way. Yes or no? And why?

• No
  • Yes

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, I need physical attraction as well as emotional attraction.
    I figure attraction works with a two part process.

As far as the physical side is concerned...
    There is a general level that a girl needs to hit for me to find her attractive or in the dateable range. (Can be labeled perhaps as "standards") Otherwise, I remain unnattracted romantically. This is where the friendzone comes in. Basically, if a girl is emotionally attractive but physically unnattractive, they become a great friend but nothing more.

However, once the certain level is reached, the main thing becomes emotional attraction. Once one reaches the certain level, whether they barely reach it or surpass it, they're in the clear for this part.

So no, I wouldn't date someone I wasn't attracted to at all, but they'd be friendzoned. I simply can't really feel a romantic connection to someone I'm not physically attracted to. I'd pursue more so a friendship with them. :) I don't think I have too high and impossible standards, but I still have some level of standards nonetheless.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's important to determine if physical attraction is important to you AND to the other person. It's not fair to assume they would be okay knowing you aren't physically attracted to them, but would date them anyway. I'd honestly be offended and wouldn't want someone to date me if they didn't find me physically attractive. But that's my preference.

What Guys Said 64

• Given how I have virtually non existing standards they would have to have something extremely fucking wrong with them for that to be the case.

• @BuchitaBuchys my body lets me down massively, believe me. I know it's very bad for one to think so lowly of themselves and have no confidence to the point where they would settle for someone most would deem disgusting but. Eh. I'm just being realistic 😊

I did ask on here once (anon Ofcourse) about my body, and I got a pretty uniform response that it looked bad and undateable, so, I'll live My life accordingly 😊

• But you're 17 and have years to gain the body that you want. Men are still physically maturing up until they're 21. I've found that a lot of the "chubby" guys that I went to high school with look much better and some are even body builders now. Js... you have time on your side.

• This is a good friend in the making your describing not a person you should be dating. Without the physical attraction the will always be something missing.
    This will only eventually cause one of you great pain.

• I would not. That just sounds like a friend.

• Why tf would you do that

• I may have other interest, learn something new, contribute to their life and development/confidence, etc.. . Doesn't mean I'd marry them...

• No. I hate that in today workd this is considered being shallow. But why should I have to be unhappy to appease others..

Both people need to be physically attracted to each other for it to work or someone is straying imho

• I agree. People are living a fantasy when they say things like "looks don't matter", yet it feels good when a man calls you beautiful or when a girl calls you hot. They wouldn't say it if they didn't mean it.

• If we're both single and we have an intellectual or sentimental connection I'd certainly consider it.

• There's a wide range of what I find beautiful but I'd have to be attracted at least a little bit to get started.

• Does someone being just average looking count as attractive? Cause technically I can't get a boner from a girl who is just average looking unless I get to know her and like her personality or she has an awesome body. Sometimes my dick also gets confused so its hard to say no pun intended :).

• No, she doesn't have to be my vision of perfection, but there definiitely needs to be a fair amount of attraction

• No. I have to find someone physically attractive in order to want to be romantically involved with them.

• I would not.

Why? Well I think it would be disrespectful to the others person, and I also feel like I'd be shortchanging myself.

• I might be willing to spend time with them but if I weren't attracted to them I would definitely not do anything that would let them believe that I was interested in them as a sexual partner.

• No, certainly not.

I did that exactly once and vowed never to make that mistake again.

• Physical attraction is all in your mind... it is perception, and the way someone treats you effects how you perceive them.

would you date someone who was gorgeous if they treat you like shit? truth is... while most people won't admit it, most of us have.

• I'd rather be alone than with an average looking girl who'd spoil me in the same regard though.

• Aka those worth it and those I could give my all too.

• So if you think a guy who would give his all and his heart to a girl who was beautiful looking and had sweet heart is wrong for expecting her to be up to those par's then you are the one was has a messed up view of what a good personality is.

• I did that. I won't do that again.

• looks are not my top priority. personality is most important. i find most women my age generally attractive anyway, so really it's a harder journey to find a girl who is smart, unique, can have interesting discussions and a bizarre sense of humor.

as long as a girl isn't hideous or 500 lbs, i'd date her if I liked her personality.

• Not being physically attracted to her means not being sexual interested in her, and without that I think there will be problems in the long term. so no

• Would i stick my dick in a wood chipper?

• Yes, But her aura would have to be like off the charts and work with mine.

• No I wouldn't

• No; I might be good friends but if there is absolutely no physical attraction it couldn't go further than that. And yes, in spite of what some fools claim here it is possible to have close friends of the opposite gender without it getting weird.

• I don't have particularly high standards but if she doesn't attract me at all then no, I would not. I am used to the feeling of dating a girl you are intensely attracted to, and I just wouldn't be able to consign myself to a relationship with a girl who couldn't make me feel that

• No a woman must be this beautiful to ride the Krieger.

http://www.pixteller.com/pdata/t/l-50469.jpg

• No I wouldn't (although I accidentally clicked "yes").

• Lol definitely not. I know looks aren't everything, and maybe I sound shallow, but I have to be AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT physically attracted to her.

• Well, yeah, it's not like I'd have to marry her. Dating is mostly for testing the waters, looking for compatibility.

• So would I ever be a gold digger?
    Hell no. I mean, why else would you date someone you're not attracted to?

• I know I would not

• No because I would feel guilty of pulling the wool over her eyes (deceiving her). In order for me to date her, I have to be physically and emotionally attracted to her.

• More from Guys
    34

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 67

• I just woke up from a nightmare in which I was getting married to a very rich man who wasn't my type physically and I was depressed because of it and was hiding so I won't have sex with him. I can't have sex with a man I'm not Physically, mentally , intellectually attracted to!

• I don't think I could and here's why. I'm not a picky person to begin with. I like guys that aren't the finest out of the bunch but still have characteristics I like is enough for me.

So for me not to find a guthat's not attractive at all is pretty hard and in that case I don't think I'd be okay with it. There's things that's way more important than looks but it does take the slightest attraction.

• No, sex and physical intimacy is important to me. Without that then we are just good friends.

• I made a few attempts at this when I was younger, and I couldn't force myself to stay in those relationships for very long. It's like trying to choke down a whole bowlful of a food you can't stand. Miserable. This makes me feel rather petty, but it is what it is.

• Someone who doesn't even grow on you? No. But I have dated someone who I didn't find attractive AT ALL. He was very unattractive to me, but after becoming friends with him and getting to know him he became extremely hot to me.

• I have and this is how I know it will never work and hence my hesitance to try it ever again. Never works.
    I'm done making myself go out with people I'm not attracted to.

• Yes, because looks aren't everything. Let me provide these scenarios:
    1) A really attractive and rich guy, but has very little respect for others. He cheats on occasion and uses violence to get what he wants.
    2) An unattractive man, with decent money, but a heart that is to die for. He says "good morning," "good night," and "I love you" every single day. However, he's older (the age shows) and has two children from a previous marriage.

I would choose the second guy in a heartbeat.

• (0.0) ((seeing all the other opinions made me really -.- sad)) ...(what u said above is what happened to me) ... so I'm Muslim as everyone knows muslim people have arranged marrige...(there's was this family da asked for my hand in marrige for their son..(my family already knew them from before.. my dad liked them..(btw they are not rich.. middle class maybe... so my dad came to my room and told me da he likes this family and da their son is well educated..(I was shy from my dad so I didn't said anything to him and my dad thought da (that was a yes from me.. so he told them yes.. the next day they showed me his pictures and well he was good looking just not my type I was not attracted to him at all.. I started crying and told my parents I don't want this but they told me its to late to back out now cuz the engagement already happened and da we are Pathan onces we say yes we never back out..(so then I started hoping da maybe even If I'm not attracted to him since he has a heart of gold I can fall in love with him but after seeing what everyone said to ur question (I lost my hope -.- I don't think it's possible I don't think I can ever be happy with him...:/ (was da a lie when people said outside beauty dosent matter as long as the inner one is real lol

• Oh no. Don't let the opinion of others be your deciding factor. Cmon, maybe he's a very great guy. Don't give up.

• I really hope everything dose worksout just they way u said it... (thank you so much talking to u made me feel so much better) ((^.^))

• You're welcome 😊

• If there was literally not one single attractive quality, it would be hard. But I've found that there's always something good about everyone.

• Even a young guy who had a bald head?

• @Girly1710

You know who Lindsey Stirling is? The violinist? That's the kind of girls I go for and that's the way it's staying, very petite and cute faces etc that's the big things for me, and lighter complexioned. So think 7-8 I know numbering isn't the best but to give an idea.

• @Beaver19 I don't know what kind of standards girls in the 7-8 range tend to have and I did not know who Lindsey was but that's an interesting type

• Nope.
    I have plenty of people who have good hearts and treat me well surrounding me. They're called friends and family.

• No, absolutely not. However, that doesn't mean I'm picky. It's easy for me to be physically attracted to someone if I care about them.

• No, I don't think so.

• No. It wouldn't be fair to either of us. I know some people could work it out, but I've heard many who can't. I don't think I can.

• No, I would not.

• Nahhhhhh, ain't nobody got time for that. I can't seal the deal with zero physical attraction. I don't see the point of being in a relationship if I don't wanna eat him up because of how cute he is or rip his clothes off.

• Yes because their personality would make them physically attractive to me.

• Im on mobile so my finger slipped and I voted yes but I mean no.
    Id be heartbroken if I found out that my SO wasn't physically attracted to me so in the spirit of fairness I wouldn't date someone I wasn't physically attracted to. I feel that to not like a persons exterior is to not love them in their entirety, people are art and you should be able to fully appreciate the art that is your partner.

• No I need some form of attraction for my partner. Otherwise it won't work with me.

• Been there, done that. It was really frustrating, especially with sex involved. I was completely unattractive to him, so I was constantly fantasizing about other men.

It wasn't that he wasn't attractive. He's the kind of guy a lot of women are attracted to (broad shoulders, tall, blue eyes, blond hair, freckles, full lips), but he was the opposite of what I'm attracted to.

Having already experienced it once, I can honestly say I won't do it again.

• Nope. I couldn't. Physical and emotional attraction are both important.

• I said yes because I have done so but nowadays I prefer to date someone I'm very much attracted to.

• Hell no. We could be good friends or something, but I need to be attracted to the face I'm kissing. I love telling my husband every day how handsome he is and telling the truth while doing so.

• No. That's stupid

• No.

BUT… We are not necessarily attracted to conventionally good looking people. There's more to physical attraction than that.

• I agree. Or there can be just one thing that makes them attractive to us.

• I mean people become more attractive as you know them. But if even then i dont find them attractive why would i date them?

• I kind of have :/ wish I didn't but I was trying to stop being picky.
    He was OK looking and not completely repulsive oreembarrassing to be out with. It didn't go anywhere since he decided that we had no chemistry. I wish I didn't waste our time

• Well yes voted B... M a kind of person who appreciates inner beauty... Indian people have u not seen "I" movie... this movie inspires me a lot as physical beauty may vanish but inner beauty remains forever

• Yes I would because I've actually have had a lot of male friends who weren't that appealing in the eyes to me but I've actually fell in love with their personality. I know that many people wouldn't get this but I do and looks isn't everything.

• I couldn't. There has to be at least some physical chemistry in a healthy relationship,

• I've dated good looking and not so good looking men but neither made me happy because it all boiled down to their personality and how they made me feel plus personal hygiene. The good looking ones were players and the bold overweight ones was not hygienically clean but I lean now more to the not so attractive males probably because of my insecurities or fear of being cheated on or drawing too much female attention. :(

• More from Girls
    37

1 private opinion(s)