Online dating- good/bad?

Ever tried online dating? how was it? I want to try too, but afraid since I have been bought up saying to be careful of guys whom I meet online since they don't seem who they say they are? Yes/No?

Most Helpful Girl

• It certainly works for some people. I've met a handful of new friends and gotten several dates out of just one month of online dating (in fact, I have a date tomorrow). On the other hand, there are certainly plenty of complaints from people who just don't get contacted or can't seem to find what they're after.

I'd say online dating works best (as far as meeting new people, at least. No guarantees about whether you'll find anything particularly good) if you're attractive (because people DO often judge your picture before anything else) and good at describing yourself (gotta say something interesting in your profile to get good responses!), and if you happen to live in or near a major urban center (giving you more choices).

As far "oh, it's dangerous" goes, I usually take the liberty of looking up my prospects elsewhere online to make sure they are who they say they are. Also, be reminded that the internet isn't totally composed of creeps - it's mostly just normal people, like you and me.

What Guys Said 4

• I would highly suggest talking (email, text, and phone call) a ton before actually meeting somebody. Get to know them so well on a personal level that you know you like them regardless of what they look like. But don't totally disregard physical attraction -- first impressions in person are still one of THE most important factors in dating...after all, you have to be attracted to the person.

I used to on line date years ago when it was still new...loved it, but then again I am a boy, from a fairly small town (150k now) adn in the midwest...its just more friendly here.

• I'm kind of afraid of online dating as well even though I have friends who met successfully with it... I think they're the exception as their do seem to be a lot of people that really stretch the truth on those sites and aren't really who they claim to be. On the other hand something I would recommend and has seemed to work out well for me, is to make friends if you have any online groups in your community that have meet ups... I have used groups like this to meet new people online and then in real life... it lets you make new friends with common interests and doesn't involve the pressure of a 'date' with someone you don't even know. Worst case scenario you end up with new friends to hang out with and do things you like.

• online sites are good for hookups that is all!

• Same as the ones you meet in real life. People do lie on the dating sites about their age,weight, use old pics, and relationship status. Just take your time to get to know someone online before you meet in person. People are still people doesn't matter where you met them.

What Girls Said 4

• I have been dating online for around a year now and have found it to be disappointing. Sometimes they have old photos up, sometimes they say they're looking for a long term relationship but are actually only after a hook-up, sometimes it's just very hard to make a connection because they end up being different in person than what you are seeing online. Sometimes you think there's chemistry online, until you meet them and find out there's none. I also think that because there's so many to choose from, people move on to the next without giving the other enough of a chance. It's like everyone is in a candy store and can't wait to try out all the flavors.

Then when you do make a connection, there is the issue of being able to see them online with their dating profile still open leaving you wondering who else they are dating. That alone can eat away at a possible relationship.

To sum it up... if you are looking for a long-term relationship, I wouldn't do online dating. But if you're just out for a good time and to meet new people, go for it.

• I'm currently dating online and I've found it to be a very emotional rollercoaster. I've found it to really help me. I've smiled more, laughed more, and cried less. The only tough part I've learned about online dating is the long distance part. I'm deeply in love with my boyfriend whom I've been dating for over 9 months straight but I've found out that he lives in Canada and I live in Utah, United States. It would be a 2 day and 3 hr DRIVE just to see him! But if you really know that you're meant for each other, you should be able to stick through it til the end =]

• I have tried it because one of my friends met her boyfriend on there and she talked me into trying it because I'm shy and it's hard to meet people. I talked to some guys but I haven't met anyone yet that I was interested in enough to meet them in person. You do need to be careful when meeting them in person, talk to them online for a while first maybe get to know them and then if you decide to meet do it in a public place and maybe bring a friend.

• From my experience, internet dating isn't all it's cracked up to be. Don't be surprised if you try it and end up being disappointed.