Would you date a person who had entirely different beliefs/worldview to you?

Follow up question - would you allow your child to date someone with a different belief structure/worldview?

Most Helpful Girl

• I Married a man out in Egypt and with 'Who had entirely different beliefs/worldview to you,' It never was this case with us. It was a Problem in our Relationship because I never Returned to Continue our Marriage by Living with him out there in Egypt.
    Many couples have This problem, Before and After Marriage.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as they aren't fanatical about it, it makes little difference to me. We might have to learn not to talk about certain subjects, but that's not a problem. Most of my best friends have opposite political and social views than I do. With one of them it's best to just avoid certain subjects. With the others we can talk about it rationally with no problem.

I don't want to be talking about that stuff all the time anyway. I talk about it, but only in small doses.

What Girls Said 49

• Ok, so I don't think it's impossible to work. My bestfriend is Jewish Pro- Israel and her Boyfriend is an Arab Muslim Pro-Palestine. They've been together for 3 years and want to get married. The secret is not to talk about the differences a lot and focus on the things in common.
    I personally don't think I want to marry someone like that. It's a hit or miss, and it can go wrong very easily.

• look, it helps to have those bigger things in common, which is what i prefer, but it really depends. if he's an amazing guy i can make some compromise in ALMOST any area really.

• No I wouldn't. As for my hypothetical kid, I'd be more concerned that their partner was a decent person than anything else, but I feel Ole if their worldview was polar opposite they'd probably be a really shitty match for each other and, assuming my kid would have the same basic values I hold (be a decent person, end point) I can't imagine their opposite being a good person.

• No. We'd do more debating than actually getting to know one another and I'd get turned off quickly especially if it's on a topic I'm passionate about. To have a person ask me out afterwards would repulse me. It'd be a relationship of never ending debates and that's just another headache I don't want.

• Yes and yes.

I don't care as long as they don't either, and I'll have raised my child to be open minded so they won't care either.

• I think it would depend on the subject and how strongly each person felt about the topic. There would be some topics that I think shouldn't be discussed.. The world Is becoming more violent by the day. the idea of my son dating scares me and growing up, because its already getting bad it scares me to think what it is going to be like then and when he grows him he's 6 now..

• Would I? No. Would I allow my child? That's their choice, I don't dictate their lives.

• Curious, why wouldn't you?

• Errr, sorry - I meant why wouldn't you date someone with a different worldview yourself? (sorry, I understand and follow the child's independance thing ;) )

• Because similarities is what keep a relationship going and I am a strongly opinionated person, in the past it hasn't worked out. And if it's the topic of religion, I blatantly find it quite silly so that's also an issue. I prefer to date people with at least similar if not the same views.

• Probably not.
    I don't want children so that wouldn't be an issue but I only see that leading to a lot of fights and struggles.

• Depends in what way. I mean if it's like a racist or something then no. That would be bad.

• I think i would not risk it. If we both have different beliefs and worldviews from each other, the relationship would not last. There will be constant arguing and fighting. Before entering a relationship, two persons should be able to have more similarities and common beliefs than differences because they should be able to connect to each other and understand each other.

• Can't see it happening. As much as they say opposites attract, I don't think it's true when it comes to beliefs and worldviews. We would argue literally ALL THE TIME, it's not healthy.

As for my children, it's their life and they can do as they please.

• Um, difficult question. I would say no. The sole reason being that we would butt heads all the time. For example, I am vegan, and if I date a guy who is a serious meat eater, how in the hell is that going to work? Eventually, how we would want to raise our kids will come into question.

Bad idea :/

• Though I thoroughly believe that opposites DO attract, I feel like to hold a relationship, the two in question have to agree on 'large scale' things. Smaller things like having different interests and goals create diversity in a relationship. Though when it comes to things as big as 'world view' or even religion, it's a different case. Things like religion and world view dictate a person's morals, rituals, and even day-to-day habits, which, if not agreed on, I think would cause more conflict than anything.
    I am not against different religions or world views coming together, though I don't know if I could do it personally.

As for the question about my supposed child: I would have no issues with that, as long as they were happy in the relationship.

• depends on if he can support his worldview with a logical argument and if i like it.

• Not again. I only did the one time because he was a liar.

Probably not, once they are adults I can't control it, but at the very least I'd recommend to them not to.

• I probably would not no, because they'd probably be crazy. Depends on what their worldview was though.

• It'd be interesting but at the same time I know things would not ever work between us. Since I'm not looking for anything short term the answer is no.

• Yes to both parts of the question. I do my best to open myself to other cultures and perspectives.

• Thats going backwards

• Probably not.

• it really depends. if the beliefs in question are violent and dangerous, and could hurt me or my kid, than no.

• As long as we were mutually respectful of the other's opinion, absolutely. If you have a lot in common and really adore each other, but one person is a die-hard Christian and the other is an Atheist, although this might seems like a big deal, I personally would not reject the entire entity of the person just because of a single viewpoint on a single matter. Same with children, it is up to them to make their own decisions; who are we to tell them who to love or what to feel?

• No, I think that wouldn't sit right with me. If you don't share the same beliefs eventually something will go wrong.

I wouldn't let my child date a radical christian/muslim etc, because I wouldn't want my child to take on those beliefs etc.

• Hm, religion, sure. Worldview? Maybe... Unless they believe in some bullshit stuff like 'all gay people should die' or 'females should just stay in the kitchen' or whatever

• haha no, I didn't do anything to deserve such a death sentence.

• Hell no

• Sure, I mean it'd make our world view debates a lot more interesting!

• Tried it and it ended horribly so my answer is no.

• i dont think it would cause damage to the relationship as long as there is a common moral standard. which you can't really have a good steady relationship without morals so yeah i think its possible.

• "Would you date a person who had entirely different beliefs/worldview to you?"

No.

"... would you allow your child to date someone with a different belief structure/worldview?"

Yes (excluding those that spread hate).

• More from Girls
    19

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 50

• I am a conservative, traditionalist, born and raised in the South, and I have two degrees from Florida State University. My girlfriend is a liberal, progressive moderninst, born in New York City and raised in Miami (the sixth burrough) and she has two degrees from the University of Florida (if you do not know, it is my alma mater's bitter rival.) We are opposites in many ways. . . and I love her dearly. The differences I mentioned are, to some extent, superficial. I know that, in her heart, she is a wonderful, beautiful woman and I would be happy to spend the rest of my life with her.

• No, I wouldn't date someone who is so different from me. Yes, I would allow my child to date whomever he wants because I know, my place. In fact, I don't think I can "allow" him because if I raised him right, he won't care whether I agree or not and will do what he thinks is the best for himself.

• It's hard to say, until I meet her, and know what she believes! I am not at all afraid of someone who challenges my beliefs, because they are just that, what I believe, now. I am open to change, if someone offers something that makes more sense, or feels like a 'better fit'!!
    Isn't that the point of life, and meeting others? Learning things, sharing ideas, understanding?
    I WELCOME IT!! CHALLENGE ME!!

• Yes, absolutely! Unless she was a non-vegetarian. I have nothing against non-vegetarians, but my views on animal rights are too strong so I am simply not compatible with someone who eats meat. Other than this, I can compromise on most other stuff. :)

• Considering how I am personally, yeah, but only if she isn't expecting me to join her in your worldly views/ways. I don't mind "trying" them, whatever they are, but a full blown commitment wouldn't be fair and vise versa. As for my child, I probably would be ok with it. I just can't imagine restricting my child from dating someone because of that persons beliefs, unless it's something like cannibalism or something else crazy.

• Dictating to your child who he or she dates is dangerous. I've seen parent/child relationships end for this reason. Also, I would date someone with a different view. Opposites do attract, and these are emotional decisions, not practical ones, in my opinion.

• I don't think so. I'm fine with us having some differences - but entirely different world views is a no.
    And my child will be able to date whomever he or she will want ONCE they're out of my house. Until then, my daughter (if I ever have one) is not going to get together with any punks or bikers and my son will not be together with a slutty girl. Simple.

• No. If the beliefs and worldview were entirely different, then no. When it comes down to it, that is a major part of life that you will be faced with. Even if you have some other interests in common, their beliefs and how they view the world will eventually come into play.

• Not entirely different, no. There has to be some common ground, or I'm not likely to be attracted to that person in the first place.

I don't have children, but I imagine I would let them follow whatever path they believed would make them happy. Perhaps my children will be more open than I am.

• Yeah, that would make the conversations so much interesting.

• I couldn't date anyone who took the world too seriously, who believes morality to be objectively established by a supreme deity, who believes they are separate from nature, separate from animals. I couldn't date anyone who took language to seriously or who cared too much about what happens in their day. I couldn't date someone who couldn't roll up a blunt, light it up and just stare at the ceiling.

• No probably not, I mean I'm not going to say it's impossible it's unlikely though, but it would depend on how different the views were, what the views themselves were and she'd have to be one hell of a woman.

• As with a lot of things, it depends. Depends how different her beliefs are and whether the difference is something I am really that bothered about. Mostly, I would try to change for her. So if she was religious I would try to look into converting for her or if I really don't want to convert after looking into it I would try to accommodate her

• Date , yes, marry no

• Ya I'll fuck her until she registers as Democrat lmao

• I think it wouldn't work.

• Probably not.

• Religion yes with the exception of dangerous cults and radical Islam. Politics no. Politics are a lot more important to me. I would rather my daughter marry a Black Buddhist Republican than a White Christian Democrat.

• Probably not

My child >>>> why would I control hos freaking life all I would do is just advice him but it's his call

• As long as she isn't crazy about it, yeah. It depends on what the views are that my child's potential suitor has.

• nope, not dating a muslim girl, they wouldn't even give a Kafir a chance
    wouldn't date a liberal chick who thinks guns and white men are the reason for all the evil in the world but killing the unborn is a right

• No, because that could not work. . . ever.

• Absolutely positively not. I would allow them to date a different belief and then find out it's a mess.

• Rule 1 of relationships: Never discuss politics or religion.

• No, because I'd consider that person to be an imbecile.

• Probably not

• Depends on what the view is and how they go about it.

• Yea, it's quite fun to see the world from a new perspective.. Almost like.. Roleplay lmao

• Yes. Yes.

• 1. No.
    2. Depends.

• More from Guys
    20