Is dating a guy 5 years older fine?

well so I recently talked to a guy whom I like very much. He is 21 and I am 16, we like each other a lot. Do you think it's fine? Or is it a huge age gape?

Most Helpful Guy

• Where I live I've seen this happening and nobody (or few people) would judge you. Take in consideration the place where you live though. Dating isn't illegal, sex is, but the social context may affect your decision.

• Oh, and sex is illegal depending on where you live too, I assume you live in the US though and you must be 18 to consent.

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean i guess as long as you know what's going on between you two. Before you do anything sexual you might wanna look up the age of consent in your area. That way he doesn't get accused of statutory rape.

• We really like each other , a lot.

• The law doesn't care if you really like each other "a lot", asker.

What Guys Said 10

• lol as if we said no you aren't gonna go for it. Just go , do your thing. Not like words can change how you feel.

• 5 years older is nothing, once you are 18. But at the moment, you are jailbait.

I know a 21 year old who went to prison because he had a 17 year old girlfriend.

• What's the age of consent in your state? If it's not 16, then it's POSSIBLY not fine, unless you're both cool with holding off on sex until you reach the age of consent.

• It's 15

• Are you sure? Have you looked it up, actually read the law?

If you have and it's 15, then you're fine. People that try to shame guys for dating younger women are just jealous and petty. Or they're older women. But I repeat myself. HA!

The big question really is, do you guys work? I don't mean jobs, I mean does your relationship work for the two of you? Are you both happy with what you've got? If yes, then who cares what anyone else thinks?

• It would be fine if you were both adults but you're still a high school kid so it's wrong for a grown man to be dating you

• Well you're jailbait so yeah. Huge maturity gap in between 16 and 21 as well.

• I will say this.. My wife is 9 years younger than me. Wait till you're at least 17 or 18 depending on where you're from to have sex, Cause that part is illegal.

• If you are legal, it's ok

• Age gap is fine. If you are at or over the age of consent, then it is ok.

• 5 years isn't really that big of an age difference

• I think it's fine but lots of people don't.
    I've dated younger before.

What Girls Said 8

• Gotta be honest at that age that is most likely too much of a gap unless you're extremely mature and he extremely immature for your ages.. Then there's also the legal aspect of it all.

• I wouldn't let my 16 year old daughter date a 21 year old, I just think the age difference is a bit too big at that age. Not to mention she's still a child and he's an adult.

I can't forbid you though. So do whatever you want, as long as it's legal where you're at.

• He should wait until you're 18. If I was you're parents I would be very concerned as what a college kids wants with a teen girl.

• Wait till you're eighteen. I'm pretty sure you guys dating is illegal.

• Yes it's fine but not when you're only 16.

• Depends on where you live. It's illegal in some countries, and I don't find that appealing either. 16 is too young for someone in their 20s. Wait until 18 at least.

• Yea it's normal but it's also illegal so be careful

• At your age no...