Has online dating made us more shallow?

I'm referring to those dating apps where you swipe through faces and say yes or no (tinder, POF, 3nder, happn etc). A person can't be represented by a few pics and a paragraph of course, so we are just judging for hotness. Or is it good, because when you meet you already know the person is attracted to you? I personally think it doesn't make us more shallow, just allows us to be shallow, faster and easier.

Most Helpful Guy

• It has nothing to do with "shallowness". What really has occurred is a detached state of attraction which comes with an overwhelming amount of choice. Instead of having a group within your city to be attracted to of maybe a few hundred people you now have millions at your fingertips which works out much like having to go to the grocery store and choose one dressing out of 70 options. You just get overwhelmed and begin to act irrationally summarizing the choices by some general level trait.

What Guys Said 14

• No, it just gave a platform for the shallow people to gather around.

• All it does is bring the shallowness out into the light. People were always the way they are now, it just wasn't as in-your-face. And I'm not just talking about being shallow, I mean everything.

• I agree with your conclusion. I also think most peopleare able to separate those apps from real life.

• Appearance is what gets your personality's foot in the door.

• that's how people do it in real life too!

• I think most people were always shallow and petty... online dating has just made it acceptable and out in the open.

• Some of these apps are just to hook up, so nothing else matters but appearance. Online dating has made it easier to filter through what we may not find suitable for us. So we're becoming pickier or shallow depending on the perspective.

• I agree with your last statement. It hasn't actually changed us, but it's given us a way to find relationships based on superficiality

• Online dating is a fiasco lol I dont think I've gotten anything but for sure booty calls from online dating its really a disaster I swear

• Tinder is literally easiest thing ever lol I don't get what you guys on here bitch about

• no, the world in general.

• No ways, dating is dating whether online or not. Men and women dated for centuries. What has caused all the tension is feminism. That is the biggest lie in history. The moment we equated the genders... look at the tension this has caused. It will destroy society. You wait and see

• But I'd rather have the breakdown of relationships than for women to be treated like second class citizens. Because treating half the world like rubbish was never a good society, you can't destroy something that was always broken

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• Tinder is literally like people shopping, so everyone is a little more shallow online than they are offline.

• I don't think so. I think it's always been that way, but now we can be judgmental in our PJs at home on the couch instead of out at the bar.

• It all depends on why you use it, what you want out of it, some people are genuine and some are not... Depends if you are green or are an over user... Depends where your mind set is at and what level you are in with your life's needs and wants.. There can never be just one answer to the question... Because it all depends on the individual needs... The internet dating has made it easier for some who do find it hard to get out there to meet up, for various reasons such as work, location, shyness etc... Don't judge too quickly and if you are not into it.. stay away from it, the unfortunate thing about it all is the people who have abused it have made it a perception of being a prowling place... It all depends on how one looks at it... but it does and can work but not for everyone...

• i agree on this

• yup. Which is why i like meeting my men in grocery stores. Or elsewhere.

• it's upsetting how people just can't meet up in real life anymore.

• I think those sites are totally a disaster

• I guess you could think so, but it really increases your odds of finding someone. Because it's not so easy to meet in a bookshop or introduced by friends nowadays, we are all so busy

• I would prefer staying single all life than do that

• It must, some guys really are genuine and care. I think it would do us girls some good to take down our walls

• Not really. People judge on how a person's face looks like anyway. The only time people date someone with an ugly face is if they already knew them first. Not too many people are willing to get to know someone if they aren't attractive if they met them offline. This is coming from my own experience when it comes to guys. I am not attractive, and the only boyfriend I had was my guy friend who I grew up with. I just don't bother dating offline or online because it's pointless. It's been like this long before there were apps.