Would you date someone with an eating disorder?

I've been struggling with an eating disorder for almost all my life (more than 8 years). There came a time in my life where I didn't eat anything expect water and a granola bar, but thats it. I was just skin and bones. Additionally, when I tasted food, I would binge. Resulting in me hating myself, and not eating for couple more days. It would become a nonstop cycle that quite frankly I was sick of it. Literally.
Enough was enough.
This past year, I was introduced to veganism. And I absolutely loved it! I've never felt as happy as I am now and as healthy. But there are times when I want to stop eating or to binge.

So my question is: would you knowingly date someone who has an eating disorder past or currently has one?

Thanks :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I won't lie, it would be a difficult thing to adjust to, but yes I would. I would not hold that against someone because eating disorders are something that is difficult for those who have them to handle.

Most Helpful Girl

• If they were getting help for it, yes. I have an eating disorder myself, but I binge eat all day long. Luckily, I'm not a fucking cow because of it because I'm trying to fix it, but if you aren't trying to fix your problem, then no, I would not.

What Guys Said 22

• If she's hot yes for a while but the moment that becomes a problem. For me and i see she's getting worse i try to help het as a friend but i believe the romance will be over for a while

• Yes. It would take more effort, but is she is worth it, then of course.

• I would and we will take each day as it comes.
    You will have your good days and bad days but hopefully together we get through it.

• I'd prefer not to because I like eating and sticking around someone who just generally avoids food or worse vomits it back is just... too much strain.

• I definitely see your point :)
      It would be a burden for some
      Thanks for the input!

• Maybe it just depends on the girl, not a deal breaker tho

• I would feed that person with so much love that she would recover quicly.
    Yeah i would.

And i would be a pain in the ass to make her eat all what she needs to a perfect health.

• yeah i would. i would love her and support her. i would be her buddy for when the times are rough. nobody should hate themselves, people dont deserve that.

• I already have eating problems:P so i feel yo pain

• I would not. Been down that road, its full of insecurity and other mental health issues.

I need a girl who is happy, and can eat with me 3 times a day lol

• Fair enough! Thanks for your input hun :)

• Maybe. Maybe not.

LOL

• Maybe... LMAO!

• yeah i would.

• my first instinct would be to offer support in any way I could. if that led to a relationship then of course.

• Yes, but I wouldn't just be okay with it. I'd try to change them for the better so they can eat a normal healthy amount.

• Yeah I think so.

But if they don't put any effort into trying to fix their problem.
    Fuck that.

• Nope.

• Yes, if she is worth it, of course i would.

• no, i wouldn't.

• Yeah but she needs to seek professional help tho if she still has the problem

• never, i have dated a girl before and it turned me off completely. Never again

• I probably wouldn't. I love eating all types of food. If she isn't up to eating w me, trying new things, than she's not for me.

• It'd be a little hypocritical of me not to, since I have

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 6

• No, I would consider that to be a burden. It’s annoying when you’re dealing with an adult who can’t seem to get their sh*t together and insists on being a mess. A lot of adults like this will expect a romantic partner to come along and fix them, giving them free therapy and spending excessive amounts of time and energy trying to coach them back to normalcy. It’s annoying. I love to be helpful, but I can’t stand dealing with men that are emotionally dependent and mentally reliant on me to function; it’s exhausting! I’d rather have a relatively happy, healthy relationship that isn’t going to be tainted by drama.

• This totally makes sense. I completely agree with you, this disorder may be a burden, mostly if they want someone to come along and fix them.

Thanks for your input :)

• You’re shifting your argument – in your original comment, you threw around a lot of unfounded insults about people with mental illness (sorry, a handful of encounters with people with mental illnesses that make up <1% of the population with mental illnesses does not make your insults true or founded) and, in summary, described them as people who selfishly chooses to remain sick because they expect their partners to fix them. Now you’re focusing your argument to reflect how difficult a relationship with someone who has a mental illness is and how they need to realize that they need to fix themselves/not rely on others to fix them. I don’t have a problem with the last set of comments; in fact, I’ll go as far as to say I agree with most of what you said. I do have a problem with your first set of comments, which has been what I’ve been addressing this whole time.

• I have never said that being in a relationship with someone with a mental illness was easy or fair; in fact I agreed with you in that it is a difficult relationship to be in and no one is or should be obligated to stay. I have never said that people shouldn’t seek help or try to get better. I have never said that people should rely on their partners to fix them. I have never said that they don’t think they’re a burden. I have never said that they are entitled to be taken care of - but this is what you seem to think I said and what you are using to change the focus.
      There is a difference between sharing your experience and using that as a platform to insult a group of people. There is a difference between vocalizing what the general population thinks and vocalizing you anger towards a handful of people that hurt you in the past. There is a difference between sensible extrapolation and presumptive ignorance. There is a difference between being bold and resentful.

• I can't say that I would, being female and having had an eating disorder in the past myself, being with someone who had one could be potentially triggering for me. So it's a solid "no."

• I had an eating disorder.
    I think it's less common with guys, not sure iwould date a guy with an eating disorder

• Thank you for sharing that hun :)

by the way.. how did you fix it?

• Thanks sweetie❤️
      I just worked on my psychology, I still kinda have it but it's improving. For me it was both overeating and undereating haha a rollercoaster.
      I attacked the problem from its source
      Why don't you eat :x? You think you're overweight?

• It started when I was in seventh grade and I was always the chubby girl growing up. Kids at that age made fun of my body and bullied me. That's when I stopped eating and I lost so much weight that I started to lose all of my chubbiness and curves. I became bones (you could see bones between my chest). So when I would see food and have a small taste of it, I would binge (overeat).

But I am fixing it atm, and yes I see that its all psychological. Even then, I still have the urges to not eat. I got used of the feeling of not eating

• In the past, yes

Currently, no. This is because this person isn't ready for a relationship. They need to work on themselves and learn to be happy with who they are before they can be open to others.

• Just dating... of course men would! For an extended haul w/out improvement and healing, I would have to say no.

• I would