Is it acceptable to break up with someone over the phone?

I've been saying this guy for about two months and he's moving out of state in a few months and neither of us want a long distance relationship, so it's inevitable that we are going to break up at some point. I really like him and we have a good sex life, but we argue quite a bit and have different views on a lot of things. I also feel like I'm not a priority. I'm not sure if I want to break up with him, but if I do, is it reasonable to do it over the phone? I just don't know that I could bring myself to do it in person. I know that's bad but regardless it would just be so difficult and I feel like I would chicken out or cry or something and it would just go very badly.

What Guys Said 2

• As long as you don't break up over text, it should be fine. Calling him and telling him about it is acceptable, but texting someone about breaking up is REALLY rude.

• Nope, exception being excessive distance. Anything over 6-hours drive, im calling in the breakup.

• Well he didn't move yet. We were planning on hanging out on Sunday, I just don't think I could bring myself to do it in person.

What Girls Said 1

• I've done it before, broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years over the phone, I'd love to have done it in person though, but again maybe I'd have chicken out, anyway it had to be over the phone because he was away in another country, he moved to a different city to study, I wanted to Skype with him but there was something wrong with his Skype or something, so I phoned, but in person is always the best, I never saw him after that, I just feel like if it was in person it would have fully concluded, I mean I know it's over, but I still wonder if something would have changed if I had done it in person