Why do partners often look similar and behave similar?

I know a few couples who have a distinctive look, for example blue eyes and dark hair and their partner is the same. They also behave similar. Do you think we always date someone who is as attractive as us?

Most Helpful Guy

• Biology and science.

Not only do we aim for someone as attractive as us, but we subconsciously aim for people that actually have similar features to ourselves. We also develop an attraction for people that have features similar to our parent of the opposite sex.

There is a phenomenon called the Westermarck effect that explains why we don't generally develop attraction to people we grew up closely with in our early years (even non family members) to prevent inbreeding.

However, the really crazy part is how if we are separated from say a brother or sister of the opposite sex from birth and then reunited later in life, there is a pretty good chance both reunited siblings will find each other sexually attractive.

What Guys Said 2

• Well it helps if you are somewhat similar in your behavior so that you don't just rip each other apart.

• Yeap, I'm 6'8", pale, blue eyed, built. I want to date a 6'6", pale, blue eyed, chubby women.

What Girls Said 1

• They both have dark hair and dark eyes with very similar personalities. Same values and both compassionate , kind , caring people