How come a lot of girls don't date their guy friends?

Are they afraid of ruining the friendship?

13

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a friend that I am totally attracted to. Sexually, physically, and mentally. However, I wouldn't date him because I don't want to ruin what relationship we have. Sometimes I don't want to date a friend because I want to keep them around for a long time and relationships can ruin that chance. I like the fact that I can ask him about anything and everything and we are both so open with each other and there are no expectations about anything. I don't want to lose that opportunity. If a girl doesn't want to date a good friend, it might not be because she doesn't find him attractive or unappealing, but it could be because she finally has a good friend of the opposite sex to talk openly with about anything and know that there is no judgment on either end.

• Well I guess when you look at it like that it makes sense. I noticed guys are less hesitant to date their female friends instead of the other way around. Could this be because girls get attached easier?

• Girls getting attached faster is probably a HUGE factor! I've also noticed that guys have no problem trying for their female friends. One of my friends told me he was putting me in the friend zone because "it was nice having a normal female friends with no attachments". A few months later, we got involved, and it all crashed down and he made it awkward and we haven't talked in months. I think it all just depends on what you're willing to risk if something doesn't work out. In a girls case, we like to stay as far away from heartbreak as possible.

• Yeah I see. It's true guys will make a move on their female friends if they have a chance. I know I done it and the girl looked at me weird. Couldn't understand why until she said she doesn't date guy friends. Then I noticed a lot of girls are like that. I was confused for a while because I couldn't understand why she wouldn't want to date me even though we had a solid relationship. I was hurt and thought to myself why girls just always want to be friends. It's very possible to have a platonic friendship but the closer you guys are the bigger chance someone will develop feelings for the other. Which is mostly the guy but sometimes it's the girl.

What Girls Said 12

• That, and because they feel it wouldn't be the same or as exciting as dating a total stranger. I believe the best partner would be your friend, because now you know their likes and dislikes. So unless they have traits your not romantically interested in, or don't find yourself want to romantically invest into, there shouldn't be a problem. Most of them are just like that and end up with the wrong guy, only to find out that their friend would have been the better choice. Both just needs to be mature either way, no matter who they choose.

• I would definitely date a guy friend if one asked me out. So far none have asked me out or shown interest. Actually most of my guy friends haven't spoken to me in years and only hang out with me when other people are around. So ya, I don't think any of them are interested. But I would definitely give them a chance if they were.

• maybe they don't want to just ruin the friendship between their guy friend and them but between everyone who knows them and he guy friend.

• Well, i think some of my guy friends are hot. But the thing is we have a really good relationship. I would not want ruin a life long friend if we dont work.

• Well the guys I date I'm usually friends with them before we even start dating. But not every guy friend of mine gets a chance to date me. Just the ones that I ended up liking as more than just a friend that also felt the same way about me.

• Yes! And it can get weird with the other guy friends too

• you just answered it lol most dont wanna risk losing a friend too

• a boyfriend is like a friend but with sex in more and the marriage later.

• My guy friend hated me

• Usually we just don't fancy them. But on the rare occasions I have fancied male friends, either they already have a girlfriend, or it doesn't work because we have been friends for too long, and it feels weird to actually kiss them etc.

• If they're just friends, one of them doesn't see the other as either a) all that sexually attractive or b) a good match.

It goes both ways - I had guy friends that I had crushes on when I was younger who weren't interested in me. They probably would've hooked up if I threw myself at them, but didn't try making a move because they were interested in one of my friends or didn't want the drama.

• Because she only sees him as a friend?

• That's not just it. I'm talking about the girls who never date their guy friends even if they are attracted to them.