Would You Be In A Relationship Someone With A Mental Disorder?

If you knew from the beginning that someone had a mental disorder, would you want to be with them? And I mean beyond depression. Ex:

-Bi-Polar/Manic Depression
-Borderline Personality Disorder
-Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
-Schizophrenia
-Autism
-Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Why or why not?

• Yes, If They're A Good Person and Compatible
  • Yes, But Only Certain ones (Comment)
  • Uh, No, I'm All Good On That
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the kind and severety.
    PTSD i'd probably be completely fine with, ill be there when she needs me to calm her down, and as a tech agent i am understanding enough that any verbal abuse directed towards me are in the moment and not actually ment.

Autism, i had autistic friends before and they where generally great people. They just sometimes need some help understanding the situation but other then that it doesn't hinder anything at all.

Schizophrenia, have never met someone who has it so can't judge. But if i read the wikipedia article it would probably not be something i'd be able to deal with.

Borderline Personality Disorder, probably not. Unless very minor. I can be understanding of the typical mood swings everyone has. But i don't want to be in a constant "I FUCKING HATE YOU But... your so cute <3" situation.

OCD, Depends on the obsession and the severity.

• Bi-Polar/Manic Depression, i'd probably be able to deal with this depending on the severity. I'd act as a protector role to keep her safe from herself while still enjoying everything else of a normal loving relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ha, I'm the one with the disorder

What Guys Said 11

• Hun don't make these mental disorders shape you as far as a potential mate. Just try and meet guys and once your comfortable enough tell them and if they bitch and complain and won't date you they are not the right guy.

I honestly can't say that I would or wouldn't date a person like that because that's not how choose or not choose who i date.

• You'd be surprised how many guys just don't want to deal with the stress of a disorder. It's why I never tell the guy until at least the 5th date, sometimes even later or after they've gotten to know me over a period of a few months.

• That's the exact reason why I don't tell anyone I have it for a long time lol. And I control it so well only because I didn't get treatment for it until I was in my early 20's. I've had it since I was 13/14 but no one thought to get me diagnosed so I've had to hide it for so long I'm used to it. I'm starting to crack, though. I had to go on medical leave from work for a few months this year because of it and I had an explosive outburst in public a month or so ago for the first time.

• Ahhh ok. Lol I don't blame you I'd do the same thing in your shoes. Have you gotten diagnosed and getting treatment now? Like you said your starting to crack and that affects your life.

• Depends on what kind it is, and if she is managing it with meds. In that case, most likely.

• Depends. Generally it is a no.

Personally I do think almost all mental disorders are curable if they aren't caused by legit physical damage (hormone disorder, brain-damage, etc). Thus the exception would be if the person would be willing and is actually trying to improve themselves upon that and had the same mindset as me about mental disorders.

• Some are, some aren't. The one I have is a chemical imbalance that can't be cured, only managed, and even then, it still shows it's ugly face every blue moon.

• A lot of people think it's not connected but it is. If you ever seen a young kid with rapid cycle bi-polar it's night and day clear. When I was younger my moods would go from happy--->angry---->sad really quickly. People argued of the depression comes afterwards from feeling the guilt of anger or the downfall of manic. Which is on some level true yes. But it doesn't change the fact that the depression end of bi-polar is still really low compared to typical average depression.

• @Jujulius I didn't say it wasn't connected, I said it's not the same thing, good gravy... It being a symptom would mean it's connected quite obviously.

• All except for autism, FUCK ALL OF THESE

I have ADHD, it's not that bad. This shit? These people are a serious project

• You don't think ADHD isn't?

• No, these rioters and protesters are indeed also single minded, as they also refuse to listen to the other side.

• That's a very sweeping judgmental statement and it just makes you sound petty, irrational, and illogical.

• I wouldn't mind an autistic girlfriend. We might get along because I'm logical to the brink of aspergers.

Also, I understand schizophrenia and have met lots of people with it. It doesn't bother me, the people are still cool.

• I wouldn't date anyone with a mental disorder because is too difficult and stressful

• i would date someone with ADHD. or any derivatives.

• I guess I will have no problem with dating people that have mental disorders. I have aspergers myself.

• Been there done that never again.

• What did they have?

• Well when she threw my microwave through a 2nd story window after not telling her I was going out with my friends that night, I decided to call it off.

• Ok, hold on, I never did anything like that before lol

• Yeah if I loved them I would want to be with them.

• If she's taking medicine and able to control herself, then yes.

What Girls Said 11

• It would depend. I have pretty severe GAD and I would need to make sure that this person's mental illness would not make my own worse.

• As @LaVilaine said, it's generalised anxiety disorder. It's basically the anxiety that decides to fuck you up in any situation, not just the social ones :P

• It can be *exhausting*. Both my boyfriend and I have GAD.

• Yep, I have before.

• I dated a schizophrenic guy before. Nice guy but it was hard work.

• You forgot gender dysphora and body dysphora. Those are very common.
    Only one id date is autism a high functioning case and ptsd that is getting treatment other than meds.

• Well, obviously I can't list every single mental disorder on the planet. I didn't 'forget' anything.

• Yes I'd be in a relationship with a guy who has a mental disorder. I'd be fine with most, but not all, of the disorders you've listed. I feel l'd be able to handle it, unless it was severe, then that might make things a bit more difficult.

• I think that I'm too easily hurt to date anyone with autism and my aunt has schizophrenia and it's fucking terrifying. Those are probably my hard limits with possible exceptions.

• Autism has a spectrum and therefore can be extremely mild to the point where most people never notice or really severe where they'd never be able to live on their own, so that's a bit of a toss up.

Schizophrenics I feel bad for because it's like bi-polar on steroids. I have bi-polar and it's a nightmare so I can't even imagine what schizophrenics go through.

• Yeah, but people with ASD in general tend to struggle with emotions and to be very blunt. I don't think that would work well with my own GAD.

• I prefer not to be in a relationship It would be hard for me but depends on the man.

• Absolutely!

• Yes i would 😊

• I would not

• Mental illness is becoming more and more prevalent and most likely everyone has it one way or another. Some have it worse than others but that doesn't mean they are not worthy of love. Most people with mental illness like ones you described above are the nicest, most caring human beings I have ever met. And they love unconditionally because they know what its like to be judged based on their problems. Communication is the most important in any relationship and as long as you're both honest with each other, I don't see how this would be a problem. As long as they are dealing with whatever mental illness they live with, no problem.

• It's a huge problem and it's heavily impacted my dating life. I learned that if I want someone I'm going to have to hide it for a long time before letting them know I'm bi-polar. And then when they find out, they leave, don't believe me, or think every time I get upset it's the bi-polar acting up and I need my meds.

It's really really really frustrating.

• Yeah I know, its hard. Its not your fault, its society's. You are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We all struggle and people are quick to judge when they don't understand something. My father is borderline and my mother stuck by him and all the bad times. She got to understand it and know that he is not his illness. Although he doesn't and never will accept that anything is wrong with him. He's old school. My point, you may have to do what you have to do for the time being and one day, you will meet someone who will not freak out by your bipolar and will love you for you and help you when it gets hard.