Is it childish to delete or block an ex from social media? Does it help the moving on process?

It's been 4 months and I still find myself checking their Instagram/Facebook wondering what they're up to. Is deleting them really going to help me move on? Or should I keep them as friends on social media just because we once were friends?

Most Helpful Guy

• For sure it would help. You want to get them off your mind, you stop checking up on them. Either you do not want them or hey do not want you, whatever they do now is their life, if they want to get a new girlfriend the day after you break up, so be it. Who cares about them anymore? You shouldn't

Most Helpful Girl

• Blocking them shows them you're mad, you don't want that. Just delete them. Every once in a while you will check them out until you're out of the whole process and find someone new, they'll be the last thing you'll think about. Also, keep your own page available for them to see, cause I'm sure he's checking you too.. and if he's the one who broke up with you, you would like for him to tell that you're doing perfectly fine, with or without him. Showing someone that you've moved on and are doing better is what I call great revenge.

• Also, blocking never helps if you want to help yourself from stalking him. Us girls usually create a new page (if you haven't already) to continue looking for someone.

What Guys Said 10

• That is the best way to move on. You can't see her you can't think of her. You can't get drunk and stalk her profile lol. You should never ever ever keep an ex as freinds. Its not healthy and will only make your future relationships harder. You need to be completly moved on. The only time exes should be involved is with kids.

• It's hard to move on if you know you'll be checking up on them after a break up... so I think blocking/distancing yourself might be for the best. Not necessarily childish, just a necessary process for some.

• Delete them. I found it much easier to forget her and move on with life when I wasn't constantly reminded of her.

• Baha My ex blocked me from eberything when I never blocked her and just month later stalked everything and texted me a Taylor Swift song baha

• It's NOT childish , I have always advised men especially to delete their ex's details & move on , an ex is an ex for a reason !! Cut the cord COMPLETELY & forget them

• No I don't find that childish

• Not really.

• Yes, I have, my girlfriend and I ended on very bad terms so I blocked her on social media so I can move on. I feel a lot better now and looking back it was worth it to block her.

• No that's perfectly reasonable

• A little bit yes.

Unless it ended horribly there's no reason for you to do this and it comes across as immature and passive aggressive.

If you really just can't keep it together immediately after a breakup you can do this for a few months while you heal but you shouldn't just permanently exile every former mate to the phantom zone.

What Girls Said 17

• Why would it be childish? The best way to move on is to not interact with your ex and try to not think about them regularly. Not blocking is the exact opposite of that.

• If it makes you feel better go for it. You don't HAVE to stay in contact with them.

• Block away. The block button is god's greatest creation. I wish I could block people in real life, the way I can on the internet.

Limiting contact with an ex is the best way to move on. Checking their page over and over again is such a compulsion, and it really just causes you to hang on. Delete them, block them. And you may check it once a day, but slowly it'll be less and less and eventually you'll won't even remember is name. Block him!

• No it is not childish, I did it w/my 1st love after the break up and that helped a ton because I was really devastated over the break up.

• It's not childish, a lot of mature people do it. It helps you move on.

• It can be seen as childish, BUT - I'm sure not seeing his face every single day and obsessing about what he's doing with all the girls he posts pics with, is pretry damn healthy ans helpful when you're determibed to let go and move on.

• Yes it will because you won't be tempted to check. You'll think about them less. The more you don't know about what they're doing the time you have to do something else. When you stop making THEM a habit, more important things enter your life.

• No it isn't, and yes it does.

• No, not at all. You have to move on and that's not going to happen if you keep in contact with them through social media and you'll be tempted to check their statuses so yes block them if you have to. It's your life.

• Lol if you really wanna look you'll probably find a way to still look after all that, i did this but after a while i just stopped it'll happen on its own

• I delete and block if we ended on bad terms, and just delete otherwise. It helps me move on.

• It's not childish at all. I did that for a bit but then you'll get to the stage where you will unblock them and you'll find no desire to go have a sneaky look. Honestly the best feeling ever!!!

• No it's not childish! Block them and never look back! As soon as you unblock them they'll thin it's okay to come back and waste your time once more!

• It's childish but if you can't get over them in any other way then do it

• Nah, block them, only way to move on

• I have done that, but then again I am childish!
    It can help the process of moving on though.

• If you really want to move on, it's probably best for you to delete/block. I've been in a similar situation and always found myself thinking about my ex non-stop and it bothered me. I always wanted to see what they were up to so I kept checking their social media sites, which held me back from moving on. If you're really good friends, I wouldn't consider this removing them from your life, but rather a well deserved break from them until you feel that you have no romantic feelings for the other person.

On a side note, it also helped me to move on when I actually knew the person no longer felt romantically attached. I asked my friend to ask my ex to tell me (that's a little confusing haha) that he didn't like me anymore just so I could confirm it. Though it was a strange request, my ex did tell me and I found myself feeling free from him.

Hope this helps. :)