Is it socially acceptable for a 16 year old girl to date a 20 year old man?

I get now that it might not be socially acceptable but is it okay? I mean we aren't sexually involved; I just wanted some outside opinions to see what others thought before we decide to make our relationship public or not.
By the way my boyfriend doesn't necessarily like the age gap either, he brings it up all the time about how it makes him feel like he's a creep or a pedo, but he figures that's since we like each other, and like how we make the other feel emotionally, it'd be okay, he doesn't want to make anything public until I'm at least 17 for the same reason I'm even asking this question like I stated before we are not sexually involved and both agreed that we wouldn't even cross that line for a long time

Most Helpful Guy

• Its borderline. Generally speaking 3 years different is max for minors - but it can vary from case to case. I think parents should be aware of it though, but be aware that it will be frowned upon. Also sexual stuff should still wait as 4 years in that age-range is quite a lot of a maturity gap (think of your maturity levels when you were 4 years yougner and you know what I mean).

That being said I find it ridiculous how people say he is an adult and you not. Why? Because the law. People should start using their own view. you don't just are a child when 17 years and 364 days old and then turn an adult one year later. Its a process of developing.

Also age-differences like this are more common than you think and CAN work out quite well when treated right. Obviously they can also backfire quite a bit.

What Guys Said 13

• Personally I see nothing wrong with it as long as your parents are involved and no funny business is occurring, but generally society might frown upon it. As a 20 year old man, 16 is the youngest I would go with potential partners. Even then though, I would make it a thing to meet her parents first.

• As long as you guys are careful. He can go to prison for that, depending on where you are. However mu best friend started dating her boyfriend when she was 14 and he was 22. Everyone thought it was kinda fucked up (including me) but now she's 21 and he's nearly 30 and they have two kids and a house together.

• Of course. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

• it is religious acceptable for a 16 year old girl to date and marry a 20 year old man. as long as they both have agreed and are happy about it.

• Hell no. It might be acceptable to some perverted religious groups, but it shouldn't be. Wait 2 years. Nothing wrong with 22 and 18.

• asker do what you want! if you like the guy do it! dont listen to faggots like this is my username , she is loser, alone virgin.

• No, if it's sexual it's illegal in most states. That and I've seen girls get
    knocked up in deals like this. Nothing good can come from them.

• wait 2 years.

• Yes if she was a Benjamin Button type of girl

• Nope

• Yes. If it's legal.

• It would seem weird right now, but once they are older it wouldn't matter.

• You should be setting your own standards about what's acceptable. If it's legal, and it feels right to you it is.

What Girls Said 7

• No, It's not okay. You are a child. He is an adult.

• Noo, please don't do that. Even if it's not a sexual relashionship. He's a grown up, and you're still underaged. A grown man should know and understand not to engage in such a relashionship with someone your age.

• I don't think so.
    I remember my aunt advising me against it. And she was right,

• What was she right about if you don't mind me asking?

• that I was still a kid and he was much older. And some other things

• Oh okay thanks

• Nope. he would be labeled as a pedo and a pervert. Wait till you're 18

• Nope

• Yes.

• No, its illegal and the guy is a creep if he's 20 and going for a 16 year old