Is it okay for a 17 year old girl to date a 21 year old man?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not in a lot of states and places. You'll have to look up the laws for where you live. In my state, we have the "Three Year Rule". So, if you're within three years, then you have a *defense* for statutory rape. But only a defense. Having sex with a minor is still illegal. But, the age of consent in my state is also 17, but I'm kinda confused on that: I don't know if that means that 17 year olds can fuck whomever they like, or if that just means they're legally allowed to have sex. But if that were the case, then it would be legally punishable for a 16 year old to have sex with a 16 year old, since they weren't at the age of consent.

So. Look up the age of consent where you live. It should be anywhere from 14-18. Most likely 16-18. In this case, I *think* it would be fine for a 17 year old girl to date a 21 year old guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• 21 is not old. 5 years is not a high gap. I have 4 friends and they're 17. Their boyfriends are around 20 or 21. I also don't have a problem with it as long as you guys love each other but the hard thing entering a relationship when you're still in ageteen, its kind of hard to know what your man thinks (21 years old). Older people thinks differently but i guess thats not the issue here.

What Guys Said 8

• Just one thing: "Statutory Rape" Read the legal code where you are. He could go to jail if you have sex.

• I don't see a problem

• No it's not okay. If I'm 21 I don't see what I would have in common with a 17 year old

• You just better make sure that you ask him the security question: "Are you a huge Bill Cosby fan?" !!!

• Yea I would do that

• Yeah. Lol. Who fucking cares?

• In my state she can date a 45 year old.

• Duh of course

What Girls Said 13

• Didn't you ask 16 and 20 just a second ago? What are you hiding?
    I don't like it - she's still a kid. And the guy isn't, but is mentally.

• That depends what the age of consent is in your state. The age difference here is somewhat important, as 21 is an adult with more responsibilities than 17. But legally, it's not an issue depending on where you live. Because he could get into trouble if your parents aren't on board with the relationship.

• Just be careful. If he's older there's always a day when they are gonna find someone more of their age. But you're seventeen. I think you should at least wait till you graduate. So he can at least say that yeah my girl is in college and by then you'll be legal to go out and do whatever with him too. But it really depends on how he is. I don't know him abs everyone's different. Herny cavill's dating a 19 year old and he's 30. So nobody can really know if its okay unless you try. Buy I honestly think you should wait.

• Absolutely not.

• Yes it is okay - I did it myself.

But just be careful - older guys have a way of manipulating our young minds... but that's just me being bitter lol

• I did that when I was 16... Didn't end well that's all I will say.

• You need to look up the legal code where you live but ethically, yes, to me it is.

• no no no

• Yes why not

• No because he might take advantage of you

• Not my little sister, so I don't care. It's not right, but whatever... your parents and older siblings need to deal with that.

• Totally normal

• It's fine.