Would YOU date someone that has been DIVORCED in the past?

• Yeah, I don't see why not. (People make mistakes)
  • No, marriage is for one person and one person only (not the right partner for me)

Most Helpful Girl

• it depends on the person~ if i was madly in love with him, definitely; if i only kinda liked him, probably not.

it also depends on what caused the divorce. for example, if both parties realized that their relationship wasn't working and decided to be friends instead, fine... on the other hand, if the divorce was initiated because she tried to murder him or he cheated on her repeatedly, then absolutely not.

What Girls Said 15

• Yes.

I've talked with someone who had a 'failed marriage' that I was, at one point, considering dating.

I will always ask why and for the basic details of what happened. Not just about this but relationships in general, why they didn't work.

• YES I would date someone who's been DIVORCED in the past. After all I don't know EXACTLY what went on but I might find out if I ASKED them before I JUDGED them.

• Yeah i understand. The only thing is even if it wasn't about abuse or something I would still think that this person was unaware of his/surroundings and didn't truly know the meaning of marriage and love. (If they are mature now though and better then maybe I would consider them but I would still prefer someone fresh)

• Probably not at this age

• Yes, depending on the specifics of the situation- how long ago it was, any kids, etc.

• Only if they don't come with baggage like kids, I know it's selfish to say that but I don't want to raise someone else's kid except the one that came out of me.

• Yeah, honestly I would feel the same. Now lots of others probably feel like this too but think it's really mean but in reality you are just being honest with a fair reasoning. It's not like the kids are bad or anything but I'd rather be the true father. Also, I may not want to have kids already at that certain age but you can't change it if they are already born.

I feel the same about marriage, I would rather/only marry someone who hasn't gotten a divorce because I would want to be that persons true love and partner in life and we can both have our first marriage.

• Just because they couldn't get along with that particular person doesn't mean they wouldn't get along with me. So yea I would.

• I am dating someone who got married really young and divided within a year.

• Yeah with those people that marry really early it gives me a red flag. They may have already matured now and truly know the meaning of love and marriage so no need to treat them like 💩 But I would still prefer to date/marry someone fresh without a divorce

• I agree, I always said the same thing. I never ever thought I would end up dating someone divorced but... :/
      That's life I guess

• At my current age, hell no!
    Maybe when I'm older and these things are more common.

• Divorce rates are above 50% so how much more common does it have to get.

• @Mateus1 yeah that's cool. So at least you are smart and seem to know what you are doing. But there are those who can't handle things not going their way and it's difficult as 💩! Lots of times it has to do with something in their childhood or early life that makes them think this way. Hope it all turns out good for ya man 😎. (Thanks for the book name, I'll look more into that)

• @Datboi You are welcome and I forgot to mention that I don't imply anything by the title. You seem like an intelligent guy for your age.

• No to be honest

• I mean of course as long as I knew why he got divorced.

• Yea, not a big deal. Unless it was the person cheating, abusing the spouse then I have a problem

• Maybe, I'd like to know what they were divorced for

• Yeah I understand, every situation is different. Just in general really. (Their partner could have just gone crazy or cheated but also both could have just been bad for one another. Lots of things can happen)

• Here is something to think about. One of my girlfriends was with a guy for 15 years and when they broke up her status was single. Another friend was married for 3 years and they divorced, he status was divorced and people acted like there was something wrong with her. Not fair if you ask me.

• Yeah it's not good to totally judge someone. For all you know their partner went crazy or something. If they weren't right for eachother it's not that big of a deal but for other people they see it as bad because marriage is very serious and they believe you should only marry someone you know is your soulmate. Others would also rather marry someone that hasn't been married yet so it's new for both of them. Everyone is different with what they think

Plus if he divorce this mean they have a problem with him

• Divorced, I have tried that. If I liked the guy, I'd try to date him. But not one that has a kid. I can't do that again.

• Yeah hard to say but it's true and I agree. I would want my own kids and to be their true father.

• Yup, at least u used it to help make u stronger and not get depressed and be alone for the rest of your life. Hopefully that jerk never gets what he is looking for and that his kid grows up to be different then him

• I have grown to not fear being alone. If I find someone, then that is great and I wish no ill will on others. I know he is married to someone else now, but I do hope his son will be a great man. He was a sweet kid.

What Guys Said 13

• At my age, there are still some women who have never been married: Sister Mary, Sister Theresa, Sister Ann, Sister Maria, etc. . . . but, of course, they are not available. The women who are available are primarily divorced, though some are widowed. However, a prior divorce does not necessarily indicate a character flaw in a potential mate. My current girlfriend remained with her husband, despite his infidelity, because they had a child together and, ultimately, he filed for divorce. I'm not recommending her for sainthood but I won't let her divorce have a predominant influence in my assessment of her character at the present.

• Yeah, the only case I would consider getting serious with a divorced person would be if she was truly the best and my ultimate dream lover and I thought that we were meant to be together (very small likelihood)

• How can you know that about a person before you date and get to know them better?

• Yeah hard to say. Most likely I would befriends with them or at least have a fair understanding of who they are before things get serious. For all you know I start dating a divorced lady but it's not like the first thing she tells me is about her divorce, I would find out later when we get closer and if it actually got that far and I didn't break up with her respectfully for not being right for me then she may be good enough to go further with even if she had a divorce in the past.

• I don't see a problem dating a divorced person. I will however keep in mind that the track record/resume isn't exactly confidence filling.

• yes, people make bad choices so often in selecting their mates. after they've learned, they have a better chance of selecting someone better.

Patient... know thy self!

• You need to ask LOTS of questions!

How many times have you been divorced? Do you have and children? If yes, are you paying child support? Are you paying Alimony? Do you get along with your ex?

If they have custody of the Children, keep in mind that you are NOT going to be their first priority. If you get involved with them you will have NO AUTHORITY over the children like a parent would.

If you are contemplating getting married. He these numbers in mind!

50% first marriages end in divorce
    67% second marriages end in divorce
    73% third marriages end in divorce

• No but not because I believe marriage has to be only with one person.

Im concerned about the emotional baggage and if its my first time getting married I want it to be her first time too.

• Yeah I totally understand, there are many different reasons I just put the most basic I could think of so I didn't have to put like 10 polls for the yes and no answer choices. This is one I would for sure want myself too

• With a divorce rate of about 50 per cent, once you get past the 20s it is difficult to find someone who has not been divorced.

• I'd need to know a lot of the details. You can't just assume your new crush is the victim. Sometimes, they're the cobra. In time, the armor chips away, and you see what they're really hiding. Hopefully, before they bite you - or get someone else to do it.

• It depends why she is divorced.

• No, because a woman that I'd be interested in would be way too young to have been divorced. It's not that common to get divorced at 20 is it?

• Not really. Other than those bonehead college kids that get engaged at the age of like 20

• Yes, I have dated divorced people.

• Yes I don't see why I shouldn't

• Date? Maybe, leaning towards no. Marry? Never.

• May be or May be not.