Would YOU date someone that SMOKES?

Legal stuff

• Yeah, not a big deal to me 😎
  • No! That's gross and unhealthy😷

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. I find smoking to be absolutely disgusting and would prefer not to spend a lot of time, possibly the rest of my life, with someone who engages in such an unhealthy habit that likely compromise my healthy as well as theirs.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 50

• It kinda depends on the smoker and more specifically their smoking habits. I'm a lifelong non-smoker and I have dated smokers in the past and it can work but it is an issue.

It's not ideal but it doesn't have to be a deal breaker if they are conscientious about it and you are a bit tolerant.

I would say yes, though.

A.

• Didn't answer the poll since it didn't have some form of "It depends".

I don't smoke, I don't want to be with someone that is a smoker. But I won't be so rigid as to make it a deal breaker. Someone that wants a huge family and I want no kids, that is a deal breaker. That isn't something you can work through in a way that makes both parties happy. But smoking? Let's say you meet the most wonderful person. Love their heart, their mind, their soul, the way they look, their tastes, you are just perfect together. But they smoke. Do you throw that away over smoking? You can explain you worry about their health (and your own) and would like them to quit but they might not. I think if they are willing to cut back (like my grandfather would smoke outside only and he didn't therefore spend the rest of his days on the back porch. He went out back when he needed a cig, a few times a day). Wasn't perfect, but it worked. Not ideal, but it's about balance. Hopefully over time their doctor and mutual friends encourage them to give it up. But I won't throw away a possible perfect mate over a relatively superficial flaw like that.

• Yeah that's understandable. And I would definitely push towards my partner ENDING their smoking habit for their own sake not just mine.

• i don't smoke, but i love someone who does and he's very respectful of me (and in general). he doesn't light up near me, and he won't kiss me immediately afterward or without brushing his teeth first.

yes, i'm concerned for his health, but i won't tell another person what to do with his or her body, regardless of what my relationship to that person is.

i agree with many of the previous comments that it doesn't have to be a deal-breaker if both parties are respectful of each other.

• No I don't think you should tell someone what to do with their body but I personally would have a serious/respectful conversation with them about the consequences of smoking and how it's not good. That's if I liked the person a lot. And if we were married I would definitely say it is not good as a parent to smoke I would say "how would you feel if our kids knew that you were a smoker?"
      I would never really date a smoker though personally

• Yeah I understand. No need to go to the extreme (at least he is more careful with when and where he does it) hopefully he decides to quit soon for the best of all of you, thanks for the opinion my friend

• you're welcome :)

• Only if they are actively quitting.

• I am going to say yes because my husband was a smoker when I was getting to know him but he quit for me. I know he's still smoking occasionally for social reasons

• Yes, moderately or less. He just needs to brush his teeth and put on some cologne afterwards.

No's for a partner smoking:

in the house/apt
    in the car
    during family events/get togethers
    around pets or children

• Makes sense, really just causing issues for himself only in regard to cancer/health but not affecting anyone else

• As long as they don't smoke inside, don't smell like it and aren't excessive chain smokers I don't mind.

• I have allergies 😷and it makes me have whooping cough too bad, so i wpuldnt want to date someone that smokes.. plus the smell is annoying..😖

• I don't smoke, but I would't date some who wouldn't date someone who smokes. Death to compulsory health fascism! Destroy the body, destroy humankind!

• As an ex smoker I would not be able to handle having a partner who smokes. The smell is unbearable to me now.

• No that's really unappealing to me. I don't judge people for doing it, but I so badly don't want to be around that smell all the time that it would automatically "friend zone" people. Like I'll talk to you and hang out with you no problem, but I'm not kissing that smokey mouth or cuddling with someone who smells like smoke.

• No way. That's gross and unhealthy. Plus, he would have bad breath.
    And the smell of the cigarettes would be on his skin, his hair and his clothes.

• I would find that hard to be around. The stench gives me a headache and it's extremely unhealthy too

• Probably wouldn't, I'm kinda afraid I'd get used to the smell/taste and find it nice, maybe I'll start smoking as well :o I've smoked twice before, and I didn't think it was that bad, although I don't want to start smoking for real, so having a boyfriend who smokes would probably not be a great idea.

• Nope.. I would not

• no thanks

• I'd rather not. It's gross.

• Nope.

• Smoking pot I'm okay with. Not cigarettes. And they can only smoke if they can still function throughout the day and have a job

• It bothers me but at the same time it doesn't. I'm good as long as they don't do it around me and as long as I don't come home smelling like I've been smoking when I haven't.

• No. No no no no no no. Such a deal killer.

• nope. gross.

• No cigarette smoke gives me an awful headache.

• No. Kissing a smoker is disgusting.

• No way. My first boyfriend started smoking about halfway into our relationship. He didn't do it around me, but he always reeked of it on his clothes and his breath and it was so gross.

I also have asthma and it gets worse when exposed to cigarette smoke. Plus I can't stand the smell of it. Staying healthy is very important to me and I couldn't be with someone who didn't care about his own health.

• Nope, secondary smoking can have very devastating effect on the non-smoker.

• noPe been there, done that. second hand smoke eguh

• Nope. And inhaling second hand smoke is worse for guy. So I'm good

• I would but you have to have an AMAZING personality. Seriously. I mean like you need to be awesome.

• Nope never

• More from Girls
    20

What Guys Said 39

• For me, yeah, and I have. That said, I'm living in Japan where you might exclude half the female population if you refuse to date smokers.

Another thing I found surprising is that one of the girls I dated who was quite a heavy smoker never had the taste of cigarettes in her breath. Not sure if she was chewing mints or whatever in between, but I never noticed her smelling of tobacco.

• Lol
      Yeah here in Europe every one frikin smokes including people under age and lots of girls too

• I try to be non restrictive but I have to admit that would be a real struggle for me, I hate being around smokers, the smell, smoke in your eyes, making you cough etc.

• Nope, can't do it.

• Absolutely not. Instant turnoff.

• Admittely an ex smoker, and not trying to be sanctimonious about it, but it is really disgusting as a habit.

And another thing, smokers who think it is their right to dispose of their smoke into anyone elses space without a care really piss me off. Smoke all you want, it's your lungs and your decision. but stop sending your exhaust my way.

• Totally. I dont eserve Fukin cancer and 💩 Bc of someone else's dumb decision to waste money and destroy their body on smoke. You can do it if you really want to cause you have your own rights but not when it affects me

• most likely no
    I'd have to be really into her to overlook that... and even then she should show the intention to stop

• Smokes tobacco or something else? Because if it's just tobacco, then I don't really mind.

• what about PCP

• @Laura_Marx ok thanks Laura "maTrx I'll try to watch it soon
      lol I glanced at your name for a sec and thought it said Laura matrix! 😝

• LOLL, I shoulda called it that! that's great.

• I seriously don't care, though if its a consistent habit then no.

• Yeah, not a big deal to me. If the woman was caring and loved me for who I am, she could smoke several packs a day, for all I care.

• If you loved her back would you really be happy with her smoking "several packs a day"? You wouldn't try to make her slow it down and stop smoking completely at some point?

• In that case, I would.

• I'd rather she didn't smoke.

• Nope total deal breaker. She would have to be willing to quit even before we got serious.

• Only if they smoke cigars and pipe tobacco like me. Not a fan of cigarettes or drugs.

• NO. Its expensive and unhealthy. When they try to get Life Insurance/Health Insurance, it will be EXPENSIVE!

• Yes.
    I'm not happy about it. But yes.

• Lol no man. That's gross

• Would you make out with an ash tray?

• Ummm no whatever tf that is

• An ash tray, the tray smokers put out their cigarettes in. That's what making out with a smoker tastes like. An ash tray.

• FUK I'm stupid! 😆 I thought it was some pot shit weird names thing cause I don't smoke or do drugs

I feel like a complete dumbass (it's good to laugh at yourself some days)

• Yeah I wouldn't like it but I still would.

• No, can't stand the smell. I'd be okay if they do weed though.

• Eh, I'm used to it. Not that I'd smoke.

• Nope, smoking is a turnoff to me.

• Women smoking is extremely unattractive and an absolute deal breaker.

• Hell no

• Nah it's a turn off to me.

• No that's really gross and I wouldn't want to kiss a smoker's mouth

• Sure smoking looks cool

• Nope. Unconditional dealbreaker. I dated a smoker once. Never again. It was disgusting. Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray.

• no my parents smoke and i hate it, i could never be with a smoker.

• Yeah, I would be pissed if my parents smoked. Honestly I would try hard to get them to stop if not I would literally show less trust and respect for them until they stopped. Luckily my parents didn't choose to be smokers so

• Srry u gotta deal with that in your life man
      Very unfortunate
      I pray u don't get any affects from second degree smoke, best of luck brother 🤘😎🤘

• yeah me too man, thanks.

• The stink makes me wanna vomit. Breath is foul and i'd prefer someone hold a fresh dog dirt under my nose than you breathe in my face for a second.

• Never.

• No, unless they're actively trying to stop.

• More from Guys
    9