Will Being Mentally Ill Mean I'll Never Find Love?

Just wondering... I have a personality disorder and I'm nervous I won't find anyone that's going to love me because of it. Meeting people causes me anxiety and when I do meet someone, I always have to think about when I'm going to tell them about it.

I'm in my late 20's, single, and I'm beginning to feel like the disorder, personality changes, and outbursts are going to sentence me to a life of singleness when that's not what I want. Is there anything I can do so it doesn't happen? I've been told several times that it probably won't happen for me but I'm kind of hoping the people who tell me that are just being jerks.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would encourage being honest about it, let a person fall for who you are. I would also suggest don't overthink, many mental health issues are exasperated by anxiety and worrying about it only increase your worry in an upward vicious circle. Explore mental health forums, read the stories of other people and see what advice they have.

Most Helpful Girl

• You may find love eventually.

What Guys Said 9

• I think there's probably someone compatible for everyone. Lots of people are even attracted to abusive people and will not date the opposite for example.

• Try taking it slow and don't tell the guy about it: let him figure out what you're like for himself and let him decide if he wants to be with you. It's a lot less black-and-white if you don't put a label on behavior.

• Well, I don't get approached too often but I usually don't say anything for months in. I've had maybe 5 boyfriends and they either ran away screaming or thought I was telling them to use it as an excuse to have a tantrum or something.

• Yeah, like I said, the label scares people. You're just going to have to find someone who understands that if he's been with you for six months he's probably seen you at your worst already so that the label is just that, a label to describe behavior he's already witnessed and evidently was willing to put up with, so he has no reason to change his mind once you tell him about the label.

• I'm not sure but we can talk whenever you want. Everybody has a chance to have the life they want, don't let other ignorant or bitch ass people tell you what you can or can't do. Make your own path and keep your head up :)

• i hope not that means I'm fucked too

• it doesn't necessarily mean that - but means life with regard to this could be particularly challenging.

• It is possible dude. Accept fate no matter how bitter it is. Try to find smth diffrent to enjoy in your life.

• Consider yourself lucky if all you have is a personality disorder.

Which personality disorder is it?

• no dont give up

• Yeah that will be a problem, isn't there any medication that would help?

• None that I have tried. There's only one left and I'm scared to use it because it's really extreme.

What Girls Said 2

• No, not completely. But it shouldn't be your main goal. You should focus on managing your mental health befotr you add anyone else to the mix.

• People usually steer clear but it takes a very special person to overlook that and give you a chance, and there are people out there who will syou beyond your mntal illness.