After a year and a half, I'm still not over my ex?

We were together for 3 years and broke up a year and a half ago. Not on bad terms, but we don't talk anymore.
I guess this "not over him" feeling kinda comes and goes in waves. I had crushes after we broke up, but every time it doesn't work out with the crush I kinda go back to having feelings for my ex back. 6 months ago I met a guy and dated him for 4 months. I was completely in love with him, I was head over heels! I was sure my ex is gone from my heart for good. But then that guy turned out to be an asshole and I had to dump him. And what do you know, I'm back at thinking about my ex again.
Why is this happening? Is this gonna keep happening every time it doesn't work out with a guy and until I meet another one?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is certainly possible since that seems to be the trend with your relationships currently. Hopefully you will find the one who erases that and does not turn out to be an asshole soon

Most Helpful Girl

• I think this is normal to feel this way. You dated him for 3 years, it's hard to go from seeing and talking to him a lot for 3 years to not talking at all. I think it's also normal to miss and ex when you have a relationship that isn't working out.

You are probably just wishing you could find someone who has that same connection with you. It will happen! Trust me!

I have been trying for a long time to meet a guy. I've been in several bad relationships and have had some guys I have dated in the meantime as well. A lot of them don't work. Either they start out great, then lose interest, or they don't work out because they just aren't right for you. It gets frustrating, you feel lonely and it really does suck!

I've been in that place many times. But i'm sure you will find someone. You're not undateable, you are meeting guys and you have had relationships in the past. You will find another guy :)

The reason it's taking so long is because you are being selective. And that's a good thing! Don't settle for a guy who isn't going to treat you right. Find one who you can feel comfortable with. He is out there and he is looking for you!

What Guys Said 4

• When relationships go bad, we like to think of our ex or exes and think if only. But you broke up for a reason, it didn't work. Once you find the right one you will forget about your ex pretty quickly. Don't let your feelings or dreams about your ex interfere with your future.

• How in the hell was this guy able to impress you in the first place? I mean, I cannot fathom how guys who break up easily are the ones who impress easily.

• head over heels love actually means you are messed up in the head and need to see a psych I'm being serious

• He was your first.

What Girls Said 1

• You just need more time or you need to meet someone who's going to make you feel like he did. It will eventually happen, I promise you that.