Girls, how would you feel if a guy doesn't pay for your meal on the first date?

• He's an asshole
    8% (8)
  • He isn't getting laid tonight
    5% (5)
  • No second date for him
    22% (22)
  • No big deal, I'll pay my half
    50% (50)
  • No big deal, I'll pay for the whole meal
    9% (9)
  • Other
    6% (7)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

32

Most Helpful Girl

• Srsly, I have NEVER understood the idea of dinner as a first date. Never understood it in my life.
    Like, what the hell?

What if it doesn't go well?
    Then you are literally stuck, at a table, awkwardly eating, in awkward quasi-silence...
    ... for a LONG time...
    ... with basically zero distractions of any kind.

And even if it *does* go well... If the two people aren't great conversationalists, it's still fucking awkward. There's very little in the environment in the way of conversation starters -- and a restaurant is hardly a dynamic or exciting environment, either, so it's not as though conversation starters will just pop up.

And... it's expensive.

What an awful idea.

Do you live in a city with any kind of downtown, or any kind of walkable area? Just walk around and explore stuff.
    People-watch.
    Gawk at things.
    Make fun of people.
    Have *gasp* CONVERSATION.
    Flirt. Tease. Play.

Not only does this kind of date cost $0.00, but it's also in a dynamic, MUCH more fun, MUCH less formal, and MUCH less awkward environment.

Oh, and... if all goes well and you get frisky? You won't be weighed down with a whole stomach full of food, either. (Does *anyone* wanna go at it after eating an entire restaurant portion?)

First dates should be free.

Duh.

• I actually agree with you, just wanted to see the results.

• @KittieCat I don't feel like those are ideal tbh, I would not be comfortable doing that with someone I barely know. Unless you're both outdoorsy types then by all means. Plus I live in the North so nature stuff isn't always a good option because it gets cold for half the year.

• Tx for the MH luv <3

What Girls Said 31

• I do nit expect the guy to pay, but I'll feel like he doesn't like me enough to pay for me. But I know this isn't true at all, because most of the guys who hasn't paid for me on the first date has actually wanted a serious relationship later on. 😂 But well... i guess you don't need to pay if your intentions are pure 😎 the ones that paid the first date have proved to be only after sex and probably paid to make an impression on me. I don't know if this is anything more common or if this has happened only to me...

• Guys know they are more likely to get laid if they pay so it's probably not a coincidence.

• Yeah, that's what I thought too.

• But they didn't succeed, so it doesn't matter

• Lmao he wouldn't get laid on the first date even if he bought me an ice cream decorated with real diamonds.
    I hate feeling like I 'owe' people something so I actually prefer everyone paying for what they're having as opposed to one person paying the whole bill unless that person was the one who invited me.

• I wouldn't expect him to pay on the first date but it would really impress me if he did. I also think it might depend on each person's financial situation. Obviously on a first date you might not know each other well enough to take that into consideration. But when you get into a relationship, that is something I believe should factor into who is paying. Right now I'm a student with no income so it would be almost impossible for me to pay for myself all of the time. My boyfriend understands this and always pays for me. I know he doesn't have to do this but I really appreciate it.

• Meh, not a problem. I'll pay for myself.

• I don't like it when the guy pays for the whole meal, makes me feel like I owe him something lol
    I always pay my half, I tell the guy beforehand if I can't pay there's no date

• Meh. I'll pay my half. It's 2016.

• It's not a big deal. Personally I think it is a nice gesture when the guy pays for the first date- it's a romantic nod to tradition, and I feel it shows that he's still interested at the end of the date. But ultimately, I expect things to be even, so if he pays for the first date, I'll insist on paying for the second. If he doesn't pay for the first date, it's okay, it's just not my dream scenario.

• Nbd. I expect to pay for my half anyway.

• Not a big deal. It's a kind gesture but I'd rather pay for my half so he doesn't feel like I owe him anything in return. I'd definitely pay for my own stuff if I knew this was going to be our only date.

• No second date, especially if he asked me out on a date. You should pay for me.

I wouldn't say anything about it to him and I'd just pay for it quietly, but no more second dates. But that's why I always bring cash on me whenever I go out with someone.

• So even if you asked him you'd expect him to pay for you?

• I'd never ask a guy on a first date, that's the thing.

• I'm fine with paying for myself or whole date. Especially if I'm the one who invited him.

• If He asked me out He should pay... I mean I hate when people pay anything for me. But if a guy asked me out and wants me to pay (?) Honey I'm walking out on You or I would pay for the whole meal and leave. And would say He's a looser. If He would want to pay I would offer or ask... beg to pay my part. It's about the thinking or the impression He makes... I'm going with that. ^^

• it's not a big deal, but it would still affect the way I perceive him. makes me feel cheap and uneasy to be honest. it depends on other factors too, but I probably wouldn't see him romantically again...

• I don't want anyone to pay for me unless we're in an established relationship and then I still feel uncomfortable.

• I would pay the full price I guess

• Honestly, no second date.
    I'm old fashioned if a man can't show that he is a gentlemen than I assume that it will be like this for the long run.

• Now any sexism or feminism aside, I think men should pay for the date of they ask. If the girl asks the guy on a date she should pay. It is all about who asks who out. I will not split a bill, it's complicated and it's a mood killer.

• No biggie.

• I don't know, I've never been on a date so I don't know what it feels like one way or the other.
    I feel kinda bad when people pay for me though.
    BUT, I kinda wish just once I could've gone on one of those classic dates where a cute guy asks me out, I get all excited and dress up, he takes me to dinner, and then brings me home, walks me to the door, I thank him for a great night and kiss his cheek and we both get those butterflies.
    But guys don't seem interested in that anymore so whatever.

• I don't think men should be expected to pay.

• I'll pay my half, but we aren't going out again. I'm a student, so "disposable" income really isn't something I have. If you invite me out on a date, I honestly do expect you to pay. If you aren't going to, make that clear beforehand and we can plan for something I can actually afford.
    When I'm working and actually have room in my budget for that sort of thing, my opinion may change.

• What if he is also a student?

• That pretty admirable but what if you guys did go out somewhere?

• If I couldn't afford it, and neither could he, we wouldn't. What's the point in spending money that no one has?

• It a tradition here...
    I would likr the intention and I d offer to pay.
    And if he doesn t allow me
    I ll invite him. next time or bring him smthng cute

• no big deal

• I don't care if he's a good fuck I'd see him again. Paying for my own meal makes me feel powerful in a way like I don't owe him shit. But I wouldn't see him as relationship material. If he sucks in bed and doesn't pay for my meal then see ya never

• It depends , if he asked me out I'd expect him to pay. If I asked I'd pay

• I'm Independent so I feel kind of awkward if he paid anyways. Or if he did, I'll normally say lets do coffee next time on me or something.

• I prefer paying for myself but it's still nice if he OFFERS to pay lol :) It just makes me think he's generous and that he's willing to be a gentleman in other ways. I don't know why but I find it attractive when a guy does sweet things like that without being asked. Even when guys offer to pay for me I usually decline but it really sets the tone for future dates :)

• He's an asshole and he ll pay for it. Like I never bring my money when I go out. he can be sure he will never see me again.

• I have dated both guys who didn't pay, guys who did pay and guys who asked me to go for a walk for our first date (so nothing to pay). I never expect him to pay but I've decided I'm done dating guys who doesn't. If he doesn't pay I most likely won't go on a second date with him. I've decided this after I noticed that the men who doesn't pay are never what I'm looking for in a partner. I want a gentleman who is romantic, generous, a bit traditional and treats me like a lady. All the guys I dated that didn't pay were the opposite of that.

• I wouldn't really care. I can take care of myself

• More from Girls
    1