Would you fly to another country to meet someone?

Please don't judge. So I've been talking to this guy for about 2 months, we met on Instagram. We both do photography for fun so that's what initially brought us together. we instantly hit it off and I really like him and he feels the same. The issue is he lives in New Zealand while I live in New York City... We started talking about seeing eachother, it would be easier to go to him because he has his own place so I wouldn't have to get a hotel or anything. I'm really worried about just being on a plane by myself for hours, I've never been on a plane before because I'm afraid to fly. How do I tell my parents I'm going on the other side of the world to meet a guy, they would laugh and not take it seriously.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd always worry about meeting someone in person from over the internet unless there is anyway I can verify who they are or who they claim they are such as through a background check or something. After all they are still a stranger and who knows if they have something else on their mind or that they may be up to no good. I've heard horrible stories such as robberies, kidnappings, etc., and they occur when people thought the person they knew from online that they are meeting with is someone that is nice, friendly and trustworthy but rather they end up getting a real nasty surprise and if they are lucky enough then they actually got to live to tell everyone about their horrible experience (s).

If you were going into another country you'd have to get visas as well. But whatever, always take necessary precautions, you never know if that other person that seemed really nice that you had met over the internet could be someone with other intentions such as really bad intentions. Meeting publicly in a public place, maybe, I'd want a friend or someone to tag along even if it's just to secretly observe for any red flags, such as if it looks like we're heading into an ambush and will get mugged, jumped and robbed or if there is just something that doesn't seem or feel right, we'd turn around and leave.

But meeting privately in their private residence for the very first time is definitely a huge risk, and I'd never do that, especially if it was for meeting someone that lives far away on the other side of the globe.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't do it. It's really not a good idea, and you know it, as much as you want to. What if you guys don't get along so much in person? You're going to stay at this dude's place for the rest of your stay and be super awkward about it? This is one of those things that's better off keeping as a pen-pal type deal until you guys make plans TOGETHER to go somewhere and meet, rather than you going to a foreign place on your own. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle in Europe on a trip or something. Bring friends. Or at least Skype and see each other over video for another few months before you make a move like this.

What Guys Said 9

• going to a country you've never been where you know no one and staying a guy's house who you've only communicated with from 1000s of miles apart?

going on your own sounds like a bad idea. i mean he could be the greatest guy in the world or he could be something else and going alone is just a risk you shouldn't take

• If you actually do it, I would see if someone else like a girlfriend wants to go. Preferably you have a friend or relatives you can stay with.

Even though he may seem like a nice guy... always have a fallback plan! That is a long way to go and it not work out!

• Lmao id go to NZ alone without any intention of meeting anyone. Most beautiful country on Earth. To answer your question id go there first and foremost as a vacation, if we meet and bit it off great, if not then whatever its just 2 weeks of exploring.

• Sounds like a bad idea.

• No.

1.) Possibility he's having a lol and you remain at airport, alone.
    2.) Murderer.
    3.) Serial rapist.
    4.) Murderer.
    5.) You're one of many on his roster and he just wants the V.
    6.) Murderer.

If you ignore my completely valid points and decide you must go. Ask him pay half and when he goes to you one day, you pay half. If he's reluctant, he just wants vagina and doesn't think you're worth it.

It's completed acceptable to ask, he wants you there just as much (you think) so he should be willing. Even if you're not serious, asking will just prove how much he wants you there and it's pretty fair regardless.

• Sure if I felt there was actually something there and trusted this individual.

• Hell no.

• when u say someone, do you mean youtuber gold prospectors?

no. but cool content.

• i wouldn't, but gud luck with ur situation. some people manages in making it happen

What Girls Said 9

• Tell your parents your going to see a friend. Tell your friends who that friend really is. It's better that people around you have this information in case something bad happens. You never want to leave the country without the authorities knowing where they should start looking if you're in trouble.

As for the plane ride, it's really no big deal. You'll spend most of the time sleeping with the rest of the travelers who are also sleeping. It's like sitting in a bus that's thousands of feet in the air. Everyone has their own stuff to worry about. You'll be fine.

• Yep and already planning to do that with my boyfriend of 4 years once he graduates college.

• I would not... it's not worth the risk.

• My best friend yeah

• yes i would as long as this one matters to me :)

• ... no. I would never do that.

Don't do it -- sounds like a disastrous idea.

• No lol

• Me too

• I would laugh and not take it seriously. This is really stupid if you go. Not to mention unsafe.