What age do you think a parent should let you date?

I've been dating my boyfriend for almost 8 months, I'm 16. My parents dont approve of me dating even though I feel old enough too. What age do you think is the best to date, and what argument should I make to prove to them I can handle a relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think 15 is a good age, though I probably wouldn't prohibit them from dating younger, given how I started when I was 11. But I wouldn't be too happy if they dated that young.

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents made me wait til 18 by that time I didn't even want to date and I still don't want to. I see no purpose in doing so and it seems like a headache that I wouldn't want to be going through while I'm trying to focus on school. I was always a person who never liked to put energy into something that would most likely not work out. Most highschool relationships don't last, some do though. My sister and her boyfriend have been together for 2 years. I'm happy for them, but at the time I wasn't willing to take the risk. I would also say don't sneak behind their backs because my sister did the same thing and it caused so much drama in her life she started getting low grades and made a 18 on the ACT. She still went to college, but shortly dropped out because she wasn't sure what she wanted to do. I say focus on yourself, get your life together, start thinking and preparing for the future. Boys come and go, there's no rush. So many girls at my cousins highschool were focused on dating and now the majority of them are pregnant and not doing anything with their lives.

What Guys Said 9

• Every young person matures at a different rate, so I believe that it is wrong to set an arbitary rule that would apply to everyone.
    My daughter began to date when she was 15.

• As many teens are stupid, ignorant and don't know what's best for them (influenced by emotions, cognitive thinking is still developing, cause and affect ) I think it would be best for teens to start dating at 18.
    At least by then they'll most likely be more mature, and they will be considered adults by law and are responsible for their actions.

• I'd start letting my kids date around 16, that's when I think people are ready to start handling starter relationships,

• 22..

• 16 or 17. Why do you need a boyfriend at such a young age anyway.

• I don't know i had my forst girlfriend when i was 12 lol
    Its probably different for girls

• I personally think when you turn 18 is a good age to start allowing dating.

• You should be allowed to date by the time you enter 8th/9th grade at the latest

• so you're dating out of spite, greatttt

What Girls Said 15

• You should be able to date when you're old enough to understand that you are dating not to just date, but to have a future with. When one is in middle school, they date just to get around (usually) but I think when you finally realize that you aren't dating someone just to put them on the list of all the people you have dated, then you should be able to date. I think it's mostly all about maturity.
    And what you should say to your parents is that you have been with this guy for 8 MONTHS! That's longer than most high school couples (that I know of at least). If you couldn't handle a relationship then you wouldn't be in the relationship you are in now.

• I was fifteen and my mother was not too happy -_- unfortunately you cannot make them see you the way you want them to, but you can encourage it by doing responsible things in the relationship like treating him nicely, respecting him (and yourself), etc. Also, it is important to keep a good connection with your parents. You must approach them with love and respect also even if you do not see eye to eye. Good luck :)

• I thought 16 when I was 16 but now that I'm a parent hell no!! 16 is way too young. The chances of getting pregnant and or using drugs skyrockets. I'm not saying that's what you'd do but all the kids my age were doing just that. So while you think your parents are too strict, I completely agree with them. After all they're more concerned about how you'll turn out at say 31, my age! So I'd say 17 is when I'll let my daughter date!

• I think it depends on the age of the boys they're dating. I'd be cool with my 14 year old dating a fellow 14 year old, assuming he's a nice, respectful boy..

• 12 as long as there's no sex. 18 if there's sex.

• My dad told me that I should start dating when I am married.
    Someone please explain how this works.
    (I know he isn't serious by the way)

• Dating hasn't got an age. It's so strange to me that people think it does? Like in my country everyone, regardless of age, dates.

• My dad told me to date when I am in college.

• During or after college

• 13 and up.

• around 16, actually.

• My parents say 11th or 12th grade, meaning 16 the earliest. But I say at least 9th grade (14-15 ish)

• Right now! But I cant😔

• 18 the age of majority

• 16 is a good age.